News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Diseases From RSC Files

Started by slink, August 27, 2014, 10:48:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slink

I am not sure what the difference is between transmission chance and acquisition chance.  I might guess that transmission chance is what chance there is that the infected person is putting out germs, and acquisition chance is what chance uninfected people have of catching the disease from exposure to those germs.

Disease         Transmission Acquire "1 in" Percent
Name         Time Chance Radius Chance Death Death
Influenza 0.25 0.6 8 100 50 2
Mumps         0.25 0.5 8 90 35 3
Diptheria 0.25 0.55 8 80 80 1
Dysentary 0.25 0.55 8 80 25 4
Yellow Fever 0.25 0.65 8 60 20 5
Scarlet Fever 0.25 0.7 8 50 15 7
Typhus         0.25 0.75 8 40 12 8
Measles         0.25 0.75 8 30 10 10
Tuberculosis 0.25 0.8 8 20 8 13
Smallpox 0.25 0.85 8 10 5 20
Cholera         0.25 0.9 12 5 4 25
Plague         0.25 0.85 12 1 3 33

irrelevant

mariesalias

This is good information to have! Interesting to see it is not as random as some thought it was.

irrelevant

I can confirm that the "percent death" from smallpox is indeed 20%. Last night my town Sink Mill pop 5787 suffered (by my count, I may have missed some, sometimes the bonging was continuous) 1112 deaths (19.2%) from smallpox. It's possible that not everyone in the town became infected (which could easily account for the small difference), but there were over 3000 cases at one point.

salamander

I know this is just a game, but I would expect the 'Percent Death' to be the probability that an infected person would die from the disease, and should therefore be based on the number of infected individuals, not the total population.  If this were not the case, the 'Transmission Chance' and 'Acquire Chance' values would be meaningless.  So, @irrelevant, it seems like you actually had a greater than 20% mortality in your smallpox outbreak (unless the entire population was infected).

This could be because of variations in the RNG used to control the epidemic, or it could be a result of town planning.  I can expand more on the last if anyone's interested.

irrelevant

@salamander well, I was assuming that practically all of my population had been infected; the diseased bannies certainly spread themselves to all corners of the map, and there was considerable fluctuation in the number of cases, rather than a bell-shaped curve.

salamander

@irrelevant -- My mistake.  I keyed in on the 3000+ infected at one point and saw that as short of your total population size.  But, with that many folks infected at a certain point in time, you're right, it's likely that the disease ran through most of the population over the course of the outbreak, so the 20% mortality is likely based on the total population.  With a population as large as yours, you have a really nice sample size, and it's nice to see your 19.2% as close as it is to the 20% in the .rsc file.

I hope you'll pardon me for being anal about this.  I'm a microbiologist, and the spread of epidemics is something I'm interested in.  Overall, I think Luke did a nice job of simulating disease outbreaks.

irrelevant

@salamander No one's ever told me I had a nice sample size; I'm flattered  :D

No pardon necessary; picking all this apart is endlessly amusing. Yes, this is an amazing simulation he has created.

If I'd been thinking I should have made a save near the beginning of the outbreak. I realized pretty early on that it was going to explode out of control. I could have posted it here, you would probably have enjoyed watching the disease spread.  ;)

salamander

Quote from: irrelevant on September 24, 2014, 06:24:09 PM
@salamander No one's ever told me I had a nice sample size; I'm flattered  :D
I stand by what I said about your sample size, but that doesn't mean we're engaged or anything.  ;)

Quote from: irrelevant on September 24, 2014, 06:24:09 PM
If I'd been thinking I should have made a save near the beginning of the outbreak. I realized pretty early on that it was going to explode out of control. I could have posted it here, you would probably have enjoyed watching the disease spread.  ;)
That's the thing about epidemics -- they start quickly, peak, and then slowly peter out.  And, yes, I would enjoy seeing information about how an outbreak goes from start to finish in the game.  I've thought about tracking one myself, just out of curiosity, but my population sizes are normally too low to make it worthwhile, and some of the information you need to plot the course of an epidemic is hard to get in the game.

Pangaea

Speaking about epidemics, I saw a documentary about Ebola yesterday. Scary stuff when it breaks out as bad as it has done now, and it's all made worse by it hitting one of the poorer (and conflict-ridden) parts of the world, which makes it even tougher to contain.

:'(

assobanana76

but these diseases are by default in the game or in the beta via a mod ??
except measles never suffered any of this!
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

salamander

The diseases in the list @slink put in the first post have been in the game since the start, so far as I know.  Not as a mod, but built in.

slink

Quote from: assobanana76 on September 25, 2014, 05:58:53 AM
but these diseases are by default in the game or in the beta via a mod ??
except measles never suffered any of this!

The OP is based on the default file provided by Shining Rock to the users of the beta 1.0.4 modding kit.

Edit: corrected the version number

rkelly17

Quote from: salamander on September 24, 2014, 06:10:48 PM
I hope you'll pardon me for being anal about this.  I'm a microbiologist, and the spread of epidemics is something I'm interested in.  Overall, I think Luke did a nice job of simulating disease outbreaks.

Being "anal about this" is more or less a membership requirement here.  ;)  And what a variety of vocations and professions we have here. Most interesting.

@salamander, early on I got so worked up about epidemics that I followed every sick person in several settlements. That was before the mod kit and the ability to see the actual numbers in the .rsc file. The one thing that Banished epidemics don't have that some real diseases have is acquired immunity. I saw several citizens get sick in the same outbreak (stupid hospital idlers) and the way I read the .rsc files there is no protection after getting better.

One funny thing I have seen is citizens dying of old age while in the hospital sick. Once it was patient 0 and that ended the epidemic.

I admit that I've started using @RedKetchup's mod of the "doctorhouse" to eliminate the happiness effect of idling at the hospital because all the idiots getting sick made me apoplectic, but I do wonder whether hospital idling wasn't put in on purpose to make sure that diseases spread. With enough well-placed hospitals one can limit the number of people who are infected by a sick citizen walking to the hospital, so the idling makes sure more get infected no matter how good one's hospital placement is.

irrelevant

@salamander here is the save file from right after I accepted the nomads. This is before the smallpox hit, but with pop 5000+ and 661 nomads, you can pretty much guarantee that you're going to get hit with some disease. Have fun!!