News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Forum Challenge #1: Most People Inside a Market Radius

Started by solarscreen, May 30, 2014, 02:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mariesalias

Quote from: Kaldir on June 01, 2014, 09:34:53 AM
@mariesalias: Try assigning different hotkeys to both screen capture functions. The original keys don't work for me either, but I assigned F10 and F11 to it (not F12 as that is Steam's screencapture key), and that is working fine for me. Now if only I could remember which of the two did what...

I did that early on because originally only the screenshot without the UI worked, but it only made one screenshot and just kept overwriting the same one. So I rebound the screenshot options to pause/break and the print screen buttons on my keyboard. The first works, the second does not. I need to try mapping it to a new key and see if that works. Thanks!

@solarscreen  I suspect your town is going to look much more picturesque! I admit, I wondered about your location choice, but it is a pretty spot!

@slink Grats on the new tractor! New 'toys' are always fun! I have been meaning to use your method with the fields since you first posted it, and I always forget.  :/  It looks like you are off to a good start!

Bobbi

Holy farmland planning, @slink. To bad you can't use your new tractor on them.

slink

So far my husband has broken off the shear bolt on the brush cutter and bent one of the tractor's sway bars.  He says he doesn't know how he did the latter.  But he did a good job clearing brush away from the front fence, moving some cement pillars, breaking out some rotted stumps, and carrying some chips to four big trees for me to spread with a rake.  Right now he is whipping around with the finish mower.  He is going too fast, plus it doesn't really need mowing yet.  He broke one limb on an oak tree while ferrying the chips, and got wrapped up in another just now because he had the loader bucket lifted too high while he was watching where he was mowing.  But he is having a lot of fun.   ;D 

I'm supposed to learn how to handle it by using the finish mower, but I didn't have the heart to insist today.  Maybe when it really needs mowing again, I will do that.  I'll probably drop the bucket off and fold the loader arms up close, so I don't run into things with that.  And I will go more slowly.  I got to try it first, yesterday, with the brush cutter.  I didn't do very well with that, so I let him on and he's only gotten off to sleep and eat ever since.  Well, technically, also to use the bathroom.  I think he was really starved for a powerful piece of equipment.  The old one was broken for about ten years, and he had to make do with a riding mower.

rkelly17

So here is Envillet, 512403809, Valleys, Large, Mild, Disasters Off (Can you imagine a fire in this place?), Medium. It is year 39 and I'm up to 300 people. The fields in the circle will have to come out eventually, but first I have to figure out how to feed people via trade. I'm sort of getting the logs into firewood and fruit into ale going (though I am putting up with the incessant bonging for low firewood). I don't know whether I will ever get the automatic trading down. Is there anyway to tell the trader to sell ale before firewood? They seem to sell firewood first and then go to ale. Also, is it just me or are merchants reluctant to carry logs?

Anyway, the first picture is the circle and the second is the trading district. It's a bit far from town, but the best sites were all on the opposite side of the river. The lake isn't actually connected (almost, but not quite), so that is for fishing.

This is actually my 4th try. The first one was going fine, but too many little hills in the circle. The second map had tons of flat land but I killed everybody off twice. Then this one came up.

Bobbi

@rkelly17 Our markets look very similar except different maps, and you are further along!

solarscreen

Quote from: slink on June 01, 2014, 03:09:21 PM
So far my husband has broken off the shear bolt on the brush cutter and bent one of the tractor's sway bars.  He says he doesn't know how he did the latter.  But he did a good job clearing brush away from the front fence, moving some cement pillars, breaking out some rotted stumps, and carrying some chips to four big trees for me to spread with a rake.  Right now he is whipping around with the finish mower.  He is going too fast, plus it doesn't really need mowing yet.  He broke one limb on an oak tree while ferrying the chips, and got wrapped up in another just now because he had the loader bucket lifted too high while he was watching where he was mowing.  But he is having a lot of fun.   ;D 

I'm supposed to learn how to handle it by using the finish mower, but I didn't have the heart to insist today.  Maybe when it really needs mowing again, I will do that.  I'll probably drop the bucket off and fold the loader arms up close, so I don't run into things with that.  And I will go more slowly.  I got to try it first, yesterday, with the brush cutter.  I didn't do very well with that, so I let him on and he's only gotten off to sleep and eat ever since.  Well, technically, also to use the bathroom.  I think he was really starved for a powerful piece of equipment.  The old one was broken for about ten years, and he had to make do with a riding mower.

Better buy a few replacement shear bolts!  If you have anything other than perfectly flat smooth land, they break... a lot.
Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

Demonocracy

I'm impressed with everyone's progress!

I'd post mine, but I've just woken up within the last 10 minutes and this begins my weekend, so I'm very-very-very behind.  I'm starting now though.  Hopefully I can make the deadline!  : )

solarscreen

Quote from: Demonocracy on June 01, 2014, 10:09:42 PM
I'm impressed with everyone's progress!

I'd post mine, but I've just woken up within the last 10 minutes and this begins my weekend, so I'm very-very-very behind.  I'm starting now though.  Hopefully I can make the deadline!  : )

You will be fine! There's plenty of time!

slink

Quote from: solarscreen on June 01, 2014, 05:21:05 PM
Quote from: slink on June 01, 2014, 03:09:21 PM

Better buy a few replacement shear bolts!  If you have anything other than perfectly flat smooth land, they break... a lot.

He suggested buying two.  I suggested buying half-a-dozen.  *grin*

mariesalias

@rkelly17  Your town looks so tidy! And progressing well!

@Bobbi Glad to see you joining in!

I have to say that the more I see everyone else's towns, the more mine seems like a jumbled mess.  :o

rkelly17

@slink, anything that I've ever owned that had shear pins, it was always better to buy (at least) a half-dozen rather than two.

My father had a rule: Every home improvement or repair involves at least three trips to the hardware store. If you haven't made the third trip, you're not finished yet. I've never found reason to question that.

solarscreen

Quote from: rkelly17 on June 02, 2014, 10:48:45 AM

My father had a rule: Every home improvement or repair involves at least three trips to the hardware store. If you haven't made the third trip, you're not finished yet. I've never found reason to question that.

Wow! So Weird! I have told people that rule my whole life and now I have confirmation I was right!

slink

Well, the dealer only had three shear pins in stock.  My husband bought them all.  The good news is that they are mid-range in shear; that is, they won't shear off as easily as the one that came with the brush cutter, but will shear off before something else gives out.

rkelly17

OK, we made it to year 44 and 424 citizens. I still don't quite get how to make trade work so that the town can be dependent on trade for food, logs, stone and iron. I'm selling firewood and apple ale. Enough stone and iron is coming in, but logs are dicey and food, well, I just don't know. Every so often I manually buy some leather to keep warm coats at the max. As a result I'm still dependent on those fields inside the circle to keep everyone fed. I keep having the feeling that this place is going to implode very soon.

Some questions for our trade moguls. How do you determine the amount of food to buy? Is there any way to prioritize what gets sold first (e.g., sell ale to food merchants, you silly traders, NOT firewood!) or to prioritize which foods in a category get bought (e.g., all things being equal, buy apples before any other fruit so we can make more ale)? And what do you do when traders are just not bringing certain items? My resource and general goods merchants often don't have logs, so I go though periodic shortages--and of course, no logs=no firewood. I have some foresters' lodges around, but they can't keep up with my army of woodcutters. Any advice would be welcome.

slink

I have much the same situation, at year 20 and 200 citizens.  I have begun to replace the wooden houses with stone, so that I can preserve the firewood for trading, but with only two trading docks I cannot trade for much stone.  I am instead stripping the map, which is okay for a time but will not last forever.  I also have my farm plots central to the market circle, because I am surrounding it with foresters.  Even with gatherers and hunters throughout the forests, I won't be able to feed everyone without the farms.  I have two fishing docks, but those too will have to go if I am to have enough trading docks to buy food, and iron, and enough stone to build all of the houses.

This approach is very contrary to my normal playing style.  *rueful laugh*