News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

DS Jetty & Bridge v2.1 (updated 20 April 2018)

Started by Discrepancy, February 16, 2017, 07:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twilightbreeze

I do have small bridges over the rivers to allow access for the bannies, but I am building on a huge lake. It's a small map, "Lakes". Plenty of room.

Got my first computer 1984 when it was all dos. Been playing computer games and internet surfing since. SOOO much has changed!! lol.

elemental

Does the boat have to go under your bridges at any point in its journey? And which bridge have you used? A pic might be helpful.

Discrepancy

Quote from: twilightbreeze on January 29, 2018, 10:14:02 PM
Building my first water town. Set up storage, stock piles, etc. Added a general trader, and stocked that. But trading boats go right by it. It's connected correctly, and open space in front, and one side. See pic. Why won't the trading boats go to it?
I have used it in another game, on a river, worked just fine.
Any thoughts?

Quote from: elemental on January 29, 2018, 10:20:37 PM
What type of map are you using, and do you have any bridges over your river?

Quote from: twilightbreeze on January 29, 2018, 10:36:32 PM
I do have small bridges over the rivers to allow access for the bannies, but I am building on a huge lake. It's a small map, "Lakes". Plenty of room.

Yes this could be still causing issues, I have tried as I may to get these modular jetty bridges to work correctly with boat travel issues, but it seems to still be haunting me.  :D
Stone Bridge is fine as I could use a 2 tile wide bridge to manipulate, hence the zig-zagging of the banished citizens on some of the parts:
String _pathBitmap =
"_#
#_";

String _pathBitmap =
"_#
__
#_";

citizens will travel diagonally to the next _ tile. with # being 'out-of-bounds' for them.

With the jetties I will need to make a variety of 'normal' drag point-to-point jetty bridges. If I can get it to work without needing to land on a shore, even better! :) but, my last attempts wouldn't work (i tried with DS Stone Bridge also...).

Tailor & Blacksmith are on the list :) I want too do an update again for the mod and tidy a few things up.
I suggest using DS Stone Bridge with the Jetties as it has a workshop.

@twilightbreeze , could you give me the map seed # & terrain / start options?

twilightbreeze

Ok, map seed is 807401430, I'm actually playing a medium size map, with your terrains set to "Lakes" and starting condition "Gold Seeker". Oh, yeah, I'm playing The North.

Don't forget a hospital and school house.  :D

I find the idea of a village on the water where the villagers might spend their whole lives never going on flat land, except the few that work as farmers, hunters, etc, fascinating, kinda like the old London Bridge in one of it's heydays. People lived and worked on it, and many never even crossed off it their entire lives, they didn't need to.
Got my first computer 1984 when it was all dos. Been playing computer games and internet surfing since. SOOO much has changed!! lol.

elemental

@Discrepancy I can report that my boats will not go under your modular stone bridge. They will go around if they can, even if it is a longer trip. Your drag-able stone bridge doesn't cause any problems, though. It's a CC Lake Waters map.

I don't know what causes this problem. Maybe it's something to do with CC Lake Waters maps? Maybe it's lakes in general that confuse the pathfinding AI. It's a pity because your modular bridges are great. Wish I could use more of them on the river too, but if I do that boats won't stop at my ports.

Discrepancy

Quote from: elemental on January 30, 2018, 12:00:18 AM
@Discrepancy I can report that my boats will not go under your modular stone bridge. They will go around if they can, even if it is a longer trip. Your drag-able stone bridge doesn't cause any problems, though. It's a CC Lake Waters map.

I don't know what causes this problem. Maybe it's something to do with CC Lake Waters maps? Maybe it's lakes in general that confuse the pathfinding AI. It's a pity because your modular bridges are great. Wish I could use more of them on the river too, but if I do that boats won't stop at my ports.

that is concerning...
I tested this with vanilla banished and ds stone bridge and did not have an issue.
It surely must be something with CC, or lake maps... I will have to check with my own.

elemental

I did a bit more testing. CC Lake Waters map, with CC and vanilla trade posts, although I have also tried your trade ports in previous games, all with the same results.

It doesn't matter if the modular bridge is upstream or downstream from the ports, if the boat HAS to go under the bridge then the boats will not stop at the ports. They will go under the bridge but they will simply go directly to the map exit point, not stopping at ports.

If there is an alternative route and the boats don't have to go under the bridge, they will find it and use it. In this case the boats will stop at ports. Alternative routes can include Red's canals.

Oddly, Red's canal pieces with foot bridges DON'T prevent boats from stopping at ports.

So it's a bit of a mystery why Red's canal bridges work but your modular bridges don't work. People walking on Red's bridges do the little diagonal thing, too, just like they do on your modular bridges. Red's canals create water where there was land, but your bridges go over existing water. Perhaps the answer is in there somewhere?

I do use the something fishy mod, which alters fish growth rates. Not sure if this is important as I've tried a game without this mod and it didn't make any difference, although that was using the old modular wooden bridges, not the new stone ones.

RedKetchup

the citizens needs _ _ _ _  as caracters to be able and allowed to go on that tile. a boat cannot go on these tiles.
the boat needs ##### as caracters to be able and allowed to go on that tile, citizens cant go on those tiles.

we all know how the game loves to cut corners....

_#_#_#_#_#_#
#_#_#_#_#_#_

is the best way for both to pass, it s just a silly to see citizens zigzag ^^
but that is only good when we dont know how to make the game acting like a real vanilla bridge.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

elemental

There must be something more to it because as I mentioned, Red's canal bridges work fine but DS modular bridges stop boats from visiting ports. Yet they are both working on the same zig-zag principle. Unless it's map specific? But that still doesn't make sense because one works and one doesn't. It's a mystery.  :(

The bridges are still great though. Just have to be careful where I put them.  :)

twilightbreeze

I think the jettys make a cute and easy cheap bridge.

twilightbreeze

Any idea when an update will be with the new town buildings and such? Really love this mod, and very eager to build a whole "Water World" town!!!!   :)

Hawk

It works quite well in conjunction with his Stone Bridge mod. There's some buildings and pieces in the Stone Bridge mod that allow you to connect right up with jetty pieces.

But like you - @twilightbreeze - I too am looking forward to an update on this mod. Unfortunately @Discrepancy has stated in another topic that he's taking some time away from Banished to play another game.
[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]

[color=#800000][i]Yes, I can multitask. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.[/i][/color]

Discrepancy

I hope within the next month but I can't really make any promise to that.

True, I am taking some time away to play KC:D, but I am still modding in between bouts of playing.
It isn't a complete stop in modding for me, just spreading my time out among many things in my life.

I have already made a few other buildings for the jetty set, but as I'm also making some other major changes to the mod it is not currently in a playable state that I could even push out a limited beta version :(

Hawk

[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]

[color=#800000][i]Yes, I can multitask. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.[/i][/color]

Discrepancy

DS Jetty & Bridge - version 2 will be out within the week.
The .pkm file will be over 220mb in size.
Lots of changes, this will not be save-compatible, everything has been changed including construction costs of all the jetty pieces.
I am making the most of the multiple construction items so have included Lumber, Iron Fittings, Sand, Glass, Wagon Parts and many more.
All of these can be produced with buildings within the mod.