Main Menu

Maritimes Pine Set V105

Started by Necora, February 27, 2017, 04:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Necora

Maritimes Pine Set V105
    September 28th 2017

Preamble

I started making this set because I had a need for certain forestry resources, so wanted to make the forest centers to get them. I also wanted to add a bit more maritimes diversity to what can be gained from the forest. Rather quickly, this snowballed into a large set as with the more buildings and chains I added, I figured I had may as well do other things too so that it is more complete.

This set took a lot of time an effort, far too much perhaps. There are chains and buildings that I really like, and others which on hindsight could do with being improved. It also diverted away from other Maritimes sets, in that there was no real inspiration from Maritimes areas to make most of this set. I have learnt a lot, the limits of the mod kit, my limits as a modder, and have developed some interesting techniques and mechanisms, some that work, some that don't so much.

With that being said, this is the last update I will be making to the Pine Set, apart from any necessary bug fixes or balancing changes. I will continue supporting it in terms of making sure it is still compatible with other sets, but any improvements to chains will come as seperate stand alones, back in more of the Maritimes theme I've been trying to create.

Downloads

Maritimes Pine Set v105
    String Tables are included in the zipped download

Maritimes Spreadsheet
    This is (will be) a comprehensive go to resource for all vital numbers in all Maritimes mods. Currently, it is up to date for all Pine Set buildings and resources.

Compatibility Issues

I have tried to make this set fully compatible with all other mods. There are, however, a couple of points that I just could not solve. They are listed below...

• Charcoal and Colonial Charter Part 1 = This is an interesting one. Due to CC charcoal being linked to the brick making facilities, the high:low produce values are astronomical, from a comparitively tiny amount of logs. Therefore, if you use the Pine Set above CC, the output of charcoal from CC buildings will most likely be very low. It, on the other hand, you use CC above the Pine Set, the output of charcaol from Pine Set buildings will be very high. You have been warned ;)
    • Charcoal and Colonial Charter Part 2 = Another difference is that in CC, charcoal is a fuel, where as in the Maritimes, charcoal is an industrial fuel as I don't want it used in houses. So if you want charcoal to be burned in your houses, put CC above the Pine Set. Otherwise, it doesn't matter.
    • New Flora = In order to use both New Flora and the Pine Set, you need to use the Flax Patch and New Pine Flora patch. Put these two, and New Flora, above the Pine Set in your load order.

Maritimes Pine Set V105 Change Log - September 28th 2017

Version 105 represents a balancing act. I have modified numbers relating to the spawning of natural resources to make it not quite as difficult to achieve these under play conditions - let me know how it works.

I have also tidied up menus by adding sub-menus to each section. This was necessary as the menus were getting quite bloated and messy. You will find the Maritimes button in the community toolbar, followed by a selection of things like civics, housing, industry etc. Within each of these you will see a pine tree, and that menu holds all of the pine set buildings in that area.

The Pine Set - Read Me.

Introducing the newest addition of the Maritimes Collection - The Pine Set.

The pine set breaks from the norm with the Maritimes Collection so far, because it has no specific source of inspiration. Instead, I needed some resources (pitch, turpentine, flax, etc.) for the dock themes to come, and so had to expand into the forest to get them. Well, one thing lead to another, and once I had a forester and some production methods for certain things, I needed to add more to support those, a blacksmith, lumber cutter etc. Once I had those, I though well, may as well do a pine version of the rest of the vanilla buildings to round the set off. Then, I decided to add a few more things Canadian such as a maple syrup chain, a maple whiskey chain etc. etc.

A long story short, this set snow balled, and here we have it.

You will find a range of buildings, mostly suited to making a small forest outpost/small hamlet scenario. Most buildings are slow at producing, only house one or two workers, and have low capacity. Ideal for a small forest town supplying your larger towns.

Read on for some specific instructions for various buildings...

Forest Resources.

The main addition of this set are three chains for forestry outputs. Each chain has a specific tree set, spawned resources, and it's own version of certain buildings. The buildings from these chains need to be built together in order to work. Let me explain...

Pine Forest.

In the resources tab, you will find a 'Pine Forester'. This building is a 1x1 tower, and employs up to two foresters. Your foresters will go out and plant three new trees: Spruce, Fir, and White Pine.

These new trees spawn the following resources;
    Pine Boughs - A material used to make Pine Pitch and Charcoal in the Pine Pitch Kiln.
    Pine Resin - A material used to make Turpentine when stilled using Charcoal for the fire in the Turpentine Still.
    Flax - This wild flax is harvested as standard flax, which will be used in linen chains.
    Chanterelles - A mushroom common in spruce forests in Nova Scotia.

All of these resources are gathered by the 'Pine Harvester', a small cache which employes up to 2 gatherers.

Warning - To not overpower these buildings, the Pine Forester will only plant pine/fir/spruce trees, which only spawn the above mentioned resources. The Pine Harvester only harvests these four resources. For maximum use, it is probably best to clear at least some of the area within the radius of these buildings when you place them.

Maple Forest.

How can we be in Canada without some good old maple syrup? In the resources tab, you will find a 'Maple Forester'. This building is a 1x1 tower, and employs up to two foresters. Your foresters will go out and plant two new trees: Maple and Aspen, along with vanilla Oaks and Apple.

These trees spawn the following resources;
    Maple Sap - A material used to make Maple Syrup when boiled in the Maple Boiler using Charcoal.
    Blueberry - Apparently a super berry. A cash crop in Nova Scotia.
    Cranberry - Also a super berry. Another crop in Nova Scotia.
    Wild Apples - Apple trees are everywhere around here. While not technically wild, they were introduced by European settlers, they were not planted in orchards as much as one in every garden, lining roads, basically everywhere they could. Now, down the most deserted forest track you will usually come across a heavily laden apple tree. When harvested, wild apples produce vanilla apples, which can be eaten or used in making hard cider when pressed with maple syrup in the Cider Press.

All of these resources are gathered by the 'Maple Forager', a small cache which employes up to 2 gatherers.

Warning - To not overpower these buildings, the Maple Forester will only plant maple/apple/oak/aspen trees, which only spawn the above mentioned resources. The Maple Forager only harvests these four resources. For maximum use, it is probably best to clear at least some of the area within the radius of these buildings when you place them.

Pine Versions of Vanilla Buildings.

A hunter, forester, and gatherer, all using vanilla resources, have been added in the pine style.

Also, a herbalist has been added. [/list]

Discrepancy

Nilla

Very nice! It looks really interesting. You are diligent! I'm lucky: I've just finished one game; testing @Tom Sawyer´s ironwoman. I do want to try this. I don't know, if you've read any of my blogs, where I test different mods. I know, I'm not the average player; I have no talent of "city building". If my settlements look good, it's more because you talented modders, make lovely things, than me putting them together in a creative way. When I test something, I look at the balancing, the surviving aspects, the economy. I also say clear, if I like something or not. Do you want me to blog my test of this (and your other) mods? If I do, it will be my honest opinion; I think, I will like most of it, but I will probably also have some negative comments.

Necora

@Nilla I'm a biologist IRL, so the story of my life is 'honest opinion' and criticism.. I'm used to it ;) . In seriousness though, please do! Criticism is great, when it is constructive, it only helps to improve the mod for all. I'll give a disclaimer first though, I'm sure the balancing of this set needs much attention and improvement. I'm still very new to modding, and balancing is something I have very little experience with or talent at. So the more feedback I can get on this side of things the better. I'm always looking to improve the playability of the mods, yet have very little time to play through myself. While I can catch a lot of bugs, there are some I miss. Also, a lot of the chains in this mod lead to nowhere right now, they are setting up for future releases in the marine chain. So twine, pitch, turpentine, right now they are useless end products (trade bait), but they will be useful in the (hopefully near) future when making things like sails, spars, hulls etc.

Also, any ideas on how to make products more useful would be great. For example the Dory. I introduced it as a 'realistic' building requirement for the fisheries, if you want to catch lobster you need a boat. However, once you have built the building, that is it, they are no longer useful aside from trade bait. I'd love to find a way to make things like boats have a 'lifespan' so they are in more constant demand and not just for trade, or are needed to continue production in buildings.

I look forward to seeing it.

brads3

i would like to hear NILLA's testing reports too. coming off such harsh climates that she has played lately, it will be interesting to hear her ideas with the production numbers.  others have checked for glitches and functionality but not much attention has been made of that side of it. the other advantage is NILLA does not use CC,and doesn't have much playing time with it either.

Nominix

Just some quick feedback. First fantastic setup, love it.

Second -if there is any way to get the fur numbers up this would be good. I think it would be good to get around 200 furs per trapper per season. The random thing is fine as long as it averages out to be around 200 to 300 per.

Still playing with it, but it all looks good except for the numbers seem a bit too low. Will add more later after playing with it more.

calli74

I've been playtesting a bit with this set tonight and so far all is going fine. I have the vanilla pine forrester and gatherer running, the herbalist, blacksmith (it's tool production for iron tools seems a little on the low side). Just got the Maple forester and gatherer running and about to have a pine skinner in business.
    I have noticed however that the left side texture of the updgraded pine lodge is missing something, screen shot of the problem included for you.

Edit to add: Now it crashed, after the skinner was working for a short time, and previously I had a crash at the same point in another save so I'm looking to the pine skinner being a crash culprit.

Necora

Looks mighty cold in there! Although, I think I just had an idea for glass. @RedKetchup look at that picture. The normals are the wrong way on that face, but the ambient occlusion is still showing up. This is giving it a glass look... do you think this is something that can be used for greenhouses and things?

And as for the skinner... I think there was a mixed up flag in that building. It should be fixed for the next update.

Thanks for reporting!

RedKetchup

no flipping the normals doesnt help. yes from outside looking inside looks transparent, but doesnt gather snow and from inside looking outside the texture become opaque. usually inside looking outside rarely happends but in a greenhouse you are outside looking inside and in that inside you have glass looking outside^^
    and it doesnt gather snow neither
    > > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
    Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Necora

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
    Click here to Donate by PayPal .

taniu

embx61

Great work Necora.

I am glad you was able to crush that nasty bug.
    [size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
    As you were you will always be
    Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

Necora

I'm keeping here a list of things that need to be altered next time...

Fur Coats - Too powerful, need 4 fur input not 2.

Turpentine Still - doesn't accept wood fuel.

Necora