News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Foresters Harvesting Orchard Trees

Started by irrelevant, June 10, 2014, 06:21:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

I noticed my grove of cherry orchards was looking unusually scraggly. I was just looking at them, musing, when I noticed one of the grown trees get the axe. I looked at the person who cut it and saw he was a Forester.

Does this mean that Foresters make no distinction between a wild fir and a cultivated cherry? That we need to be careful to keep our orchards outside our Foresters' radii?

slink

Supposedly this was fixed in version 1.0.2/3.

irrelevant

Ah. Not sure I'm ready to upgrade. Sounds like maybe some things that weren't broke got "fixed." :(

solarscreen

Yeah, some changes were made to functions and processes you might have felt were fine or handleable but others did not like or were unable to learn how to work with.

I called it dumbed down but that's just me.  :P
Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

slink

If not being willing to accept annual starvation in order to completely settle a large map is dumb, then I am guilty as charged.  The problem was that laborers were not being chosen just from the local pool, but also being brought from the opposite edge of the map, when work was designated on one edge of the colony.  These were not "clear cut the entire end of the map" type designations, but only normal work that should not have required more than the number of laborers that were living nearby.  The initial fix release, 1.0.2., was however so tightly constrained that laborers would not walk the width of a market circle to build a house.  It went from one extreme to the other.

It also appears to me that some of the bug fixes introduced other bugs.  For instance, dirt roads that have been designated, but not built, now have to be removed by laborers if the game has been saved and reloaded.  Buildings for which the materials have been brought, but no building done, now return zero materials if they are cancelled.  Previously all materials were returned as long as no actual building had been performed.

solarscreen

Starvation was mostly a self inflicted problem.  It required some restraint early in the game and a lot of focus in the later part of the game.  Now I can do just about anything and nobody ever starves.  That might make you feel better about your village but it takes away a lot of effort in trying to survive.

If it's more fun for more people now I guess I can accept that.  I thought survival was the goal but I guess we are past that now.

Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

slink

I agree that starvation was a self-inflicted problem.  When the distance across the colony was long enough that a random laborer could not walk from one border to the other without starving, then that colony was done growing if you wanted to avoid starvation.  The game did not logically choose the laborers for any given task.  By my observation, marking more than one stone at a time for cutting had a high probability of drawing a laborer from the wrong end of town to pick up the cut stone, and that was with hundreds of laborers in a reasonably uniformly developed colony.  I know this to be the case because I watched who came to pick up the stone, and checked where they lived.  The game appeared to have a list of available laborers but with no knowledge of their location compared to the task at hand.

By using stone roads, which were bugged so that they could not be removed once something was set down upon them, it was possible to fully develop a medium map but not a large one.  I suspect the game was not well tested on a large map, before its release.  That is often the case with games, that the later part is largely untested simply because the testers have a limited amount of time.  Not everything scales up well, though.  *chuckle*

mariesalias

I was able to pretty reliably build towns spread out on a large map before the patch. It is true, if you know how to work around it, you can avoid it.

Mostly.

Then I did the one-road challenge and could not get my people to not starve/freeze while expanding out into that last section. I tried every solution I knew or that anyone else suggested and nothing seemed to work. Even though there was housing, food, firewood, and even a market nearby the housing, they would still freeze and starve out there. That northwest corner was the real death valley. ;p   Once I updated though, the unnecessary deaths stopped. There were still some other deaths from bad planning, but not from that corner anymore.

I am finding the patches have their own little idiosyncrasies to work around.

rkelly17

I think that the amount of "death walking" in 1.0 and 1.0.1 was dependent on the map size and geography. Since I always play on large when I have the choice, after a certain geographical spread it seemed that some was inevitable. I had maps were the vast majority of cold and hungry got home before they died and I had maps where, well, they didn't. I lost laborers, farmers and vendors usually. There are map seeds where you can't build roads or tunnels at places where the citizens insist on going cross-country, and those spots were killers. The problem of builders insisting on working on both sides of a bridge over a small creek that didn't quite go off the edge of the map was also nasty. All-in-all I was happier with 1.02 and am happy with 1.0.3. Even the large Banished maps are not big enough that starving to death on the way home from a job site should be an issue unless the climate is much more severe or a serious blizzard is actually raging. Even "harsh" is really not all that bad in Winter. It just extends the potential frost period in Fall and Spring.

Kaldir

Quote from: mariesalias on June 11, 2014, 06:43:52 PMI am finding the patches have their own little idiosyncrasies to work around.

I'm curious what you think the idiosyncrasies (I had to look up that word  ??? but I have the excuse that English is a foreign language for me  8) ) of version 1.0.3 are. Just wondering if I have noticed them at all.

mariesalias

Quote from: Kaldir on June 12, 2014, 10:25:52 AM
Quote from: mariesalias on June 11, 2014, 06:43:52 PMI am finding the patches have their own little idiosyncrasies to work around.

I'm curious what you think the idiosyncrasies (I had to look up that word  ??? but I have the excuse that English is a foreign language for me  8) ) of version 1.0.3 are. Just wondering if I have noticed them at all.

Hmm, I will actually have to give this some further thought! I had several things in mind when I typed my post but now that I am trying to remember them, they have completely flown out of my head.  :o  One of the joys of ADD is not being able to always translate your thoughts (or even access them) into words. Add to it the Gabapentin that I have to take to control my pain levels which literally will cause me to forget words I was about to say mid-sentence, and I tend to not always be able to remember things exactly when I want to.

I did not want you to think I was ignoring your question! I will keep it in mind when I play and take notes as I notice/remember things. With all the technology we have today, i still find using paper and pen to make notes the best way to keep me remembering things.

The only one that is directly coming to mind right now is the issues I have been having in one town where the people are not actually choosing to live as near to their work sites, even with ample housing, roads/tunnels/bridges. Some of them also appear to not changing roles either as new houses are built. It is very puzzling to me and I would like to test it out in another town or two to see whether it is just a fluke in that town or not.   

Kaldir

Quote from: mariesalias on June 12, 2014, 11:59:03 AM
One of the joys of ADD is not being able to always translate your thoughts (or even access them) into words. Add to it the Gabapentin that I have to take to control my pain levels which literally will cause me to forget words I was about to say mid-sentence, and I tend to not always be able to remember things exactly when I want to.

Sounds like you're on hard difficulty in real life as well. What you describe as symptoms of your ADD doesn't show at all in your written text on this forum or the SRS forum. Guess that is the difference between direct verbal and somewhat delayed written communications. I have a colleague with ADD who describes the same issues with it, but you would hardly notice it with him either. I'm not sure though if that makes it easier or harder for him, people not seeing his struggle.
Your forum posts always come across as very well thought of, but still spontaneous.

I did not want you to think I was ignoring your question!

Don't worry. It was just curiosity, nothing major.  :D

The only one that is directly coming to mind right now is the issues I have been having in one town where the people are not actually choosing to live as near to their work sites, even with ample housing, roads/tunnels/bridges. Some of them also appear to not changing roles either as new houses are built. It is very puzzling to me and I would like to test it out in another town or two to see whether it is just a fluke in that town or not.

Aw yeah, I read and responded to that one. As said, I haven't seen it myself, but my play experience is much more limited than yours. That's exactly why I was curious. Certain aspects of the game will probably still elude me, and I'd like to learn.

mariesalias

Quote from: Kaldir on June 12, 2014, 12:24:52 PM

Sounds like you're on hard difficulty in real life as well. What you describe as symptoms of your ADD doesn't show at all in your written text on this forum or the SRS forum. Guess that is the difference between direct verbal and somewhat delayed written communications. I have a colleague with ADD who describes the same issues with it, but you would hardly notice it with him either. I'm not sure though if that makes it easier or harder for him, people not seeing his struggle.
Your forum posts always come across as very well thought of, but still spontaneous.

Thank you! :)  I try very hard to stay focused while writing a post. It often takes me a long time to actually write up the post though. Sometimes I can spend 30 minutes on a post, re-read it and then decide I have not said what I actually meant to say and then delete it all and walk away from the topic for awhile. I always skim through to try to catch typos before I post but I do end up missing a lot of them, but if I try to preview each time I will end up re-writing my posts over and over and never actually get them posted. :D 

I used to study and read a lot of poetry and I really believe that this has helped me being able to whittle my thoughts down when writing. Poetry, in its essence, is often trying to say  as much as you can with as few words as possible. I still ramble and write more then I probably should much of the time, but it is much better then talking to me in person! I am not so good at keeping my thoughts focused while actually speaking them. I spent most of my life not being understood by pretty much anyone until I got on the internet. Time to write, and rewrite, and actually think what I am trying to say makes a huge difference. My ADD went undiagnosed until the last few/several years and has made a big difference. It was a relief to finally understand while I seemed to function and think differently then almost everyone around me. I spent so many years thinking I was just broken (and have the bad poetry to show for it ;p) and there was something fundamentally wrong with me. It is a relief to understand finally where some of it all comes from and to know there are strategies used by people all over the world with the same issues to minimize the negative aspects.

As for life on hard difficulty, I believe we each have our own hard difficulty levels in our lives. And while we often think other people have better lives then us, we all have our own demons to deal with and there are always others with worse problems then ours (for us). One of the best thing about interacting with other people is there are never-ending things you can learn from them.

rkelly17

@mariesalias, I just want to say that some of your postings are among the most cogent essays I have read--and I spent my 40-year working life reading essays by graduate students.

mariesalias

@rkelly17  Thank you. That truly does mean a lot to me.