News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

DS Blast Furnace & Industry Mining Advanced - v1.2 (updated 22May2017)

Started by Discrepancy, May 15, 2017, 03:22:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QueryEverything

I haven't gotten to the storage, or other accessories yet, but so far really enjoying my little mining area :)

I will be adding a secondary area with the rest of the buildings :)  Excellent work @Discrepancy :D 

**note, the other tiny mines & stonecutters are from @kid1293 mod:  Kid - Tiny v1.3

[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

Discrepancy

Updated to v1.2

v1.2  --  22052017
         - Changes to Blast Furnace:
            - increased rate of production (now work time=8/required=5).
            - increased number of use & create points (now 12) and total number of blacksmiths up to 10.
            - fixed wrong resource limit associated with Blast Furnace.

I just checked, it seems to be save game compatible, but I think you'd have to demolish and rebuild the blast furnace to get the changes.

Nilla

I will try to make an upgrade. I´ll tell you if it works.

Abandoned

@Discrepancy I am going to have to give this a try too.  How can I have a mining town in the North without this mining set?  It could be Christmas before I get back to the North so will try to add it to the currant map, I think I have just the spot for it.  It may take a chapter or two to get it into the story.  Wish me luck.  :)

Abandoned

Discrepancy

I am in the process of updating this mod and expanding it significantly:

To differentiate the mod from BlastFurnace.pkm (DS Blast Furnace & Industry Mining) it is having a name change:

DS Industry Mining in The North
previously known as Blast Furnace Advanced (BlastFurnaceAdv.pkm).

In this new format it is a mod about setting up a large scale mining and smelting industry in The North.
DSBlastFurnaceAdvTheNorth.pkm

So, my thoughts on it (much of it is already coded and modeled):

The introduction of Limestone (RawMaterialLimestone) as a resource.
      ** Limestone is now used as an additive to the Blast Furnace when smelting (third ingredient: Iron Ore + Coke + Limestone),
         it is utilized in the process to produce the slag which removes impurities from the iron.
      ** Limestone can also be used in the production of Bricks and Roof tiles as a substitute for Clay in the recipes.
    Rather than add another mined stone, Limestone is produced by heating Stone in a Lime kiln with coke or charcoal.

2x Lime Kilns are included: A battery Lime Kiln matching the battery Coke Ovens. And a standalone quicker production Lime Kiln.

Lumber is required for some building construction and operation/production costs at mines.

Bricks & Roof tiles are required for building constructions.

option of Candles or Seed/Veg Oil are required for upgraded mine operation.

option of Oil Lamps (made from Clay) are required for upgraded mine construction.

Questions... and possible alternate thoughts:
- Is this adding of Lime(stone) going to be unnecessarily difficult? Remember this is a mod that is required to be played alongside The North mod by @Tom Sawyer .

- Should the Iron instead: not require Limestone, and be the normal Iron Ore + Coke/Charcoal ? ...
         ... and introduce Steel (Iron Ore + Limestone + Coke/Charcoal) again in The North for the production of Steel Tools?

- First builds of the small mines will require basic resources: Logs + Stone to construct.
- Upgrades and the Large Industry Mine may require things like: Lumber + Bricks + Roof tiles + Stone + Iron + depending on the mine upgrade option Oil Lamps / or Iron Fixings to construct.
      - the mines that are constructed with Oil Lamps will require a Seed or Veg Oil + Lumber to operate and extract the Iron Ore / Coal.
      - the mines that are constructed with Iron Fixings will require Candles + Lumber to operate and extract the Iron Ore / Coal.

Other:
- I am also working on a Clay mod to extract clay, make bricks, roof tiles, pottery and oil lamps. So far I have made 1 Clay Kiln, almost finished a Clay Pit and made all the resource models.

- I have also made a working oil press mod. It is basically ready to release but I'm waiting until I know exactly how I want to use the oil.

RedKetchup

that look so good !!
i love that rook, look so real, you can almost feel every plates :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Tom Sawyer

That sounds interesting @Discrepancy. I already thought you have discarded my outlaw flag sheet.^^ So if this is going to be Nordic stuff I should join this thread. Since there is a progress from medieval to early modern age this is a great addition together with your townhouses and I'm a fan of this furnace and the buildings you created around it.

With limestone I'm not sure yet if it will make it more interesting or too complicated. I read a bit in wiki and as you write it's used as flux together with quartzsand (from my sand pit) to bind stuff in slag and so on. Limestone extracted from "stone" in a kiln would be a way, yes. Or mined as a second option in the quarry?

Basically I find it important that an industrial way creates a feeling to become more productive and to solve issues of medieval time with slow and cumbersome metalworking by bloomeries and depleting forests for charcoal. I kept this intentionally to give way for this industrial chain but too much effort or complicated steps and stuff for the coke furnace can easily remove this effect. Let's test it in game then and see if it's more interesting with limestone and/or quartzsand or not. In case of doubt I would leave it out for now. To fill the furnace with just ore and coke in a clean one row interface would be also nice.

Steel I removed to make the tool chain a bit more convinient. People can make steel tools in my advanced blacksmith shop by spending more time and charcoal to make them from ordinary iron. I like it this way because it doesn't need so many smithies to manage toolmaking without switching tasks. With a blast furnace it can be something new of course. Not sure yet how exactly. Maybe it's the simplest solution to just output iron. Otherwise it would need any new building to make tools from this new material.

Oil lamps for mining I like. It even can define mining as a midgame thing and as far as I know "early game Vikings" only used bog iron from surface area. I also thought about including a special fuel resource for light. Candles are nice but lamp oil sounds better to me. Question is from what to make it and in what construction by what a profession without making it complicated? From animal fat or linseed would be realistic here and flax is definitely coming in the north mod.

It also will mean to have to have this resource to get ore when no bog iron can be found anymore and people will end in a tool apocalypse without oil. So I want to be careful with that for my own mine. You are of course free with that making an industrial add-on. You also can think of using the north way of mining with unlimited production but continuous input of resources instead of this upgrade thing. Wood to build and lamp oil for light, one of each for every mining turn.

Just my first thoughts to your points and would like to here other opinions. :)

taniu

@Discrepancy :D When it comes to my opinions, it is a great idea - something new application to The North. Regards

Nilla

I love the idea of a limestone kiln. My ancestors on my mothers side were small scale limestone burner. I can remember, when I was a child, my very old great grand father and some other old men built such a kiln, just to show, how it was made. I guess they closed this small scale business after the Second World War, but of cause, they still knew how to make it.

However, the product from this small scale burner was, as far as I know, never used to produce iron. It was used as building materials; mortar and plaster and in farming, our soil is often too acid. All iron processing doesn't need limestone. And I can agree with @Tom Sawyer, that iron processing will be unnecessarily complicated in a way, that's not historically fully correct.

I would like to see lime as a building material. I guess, that's it's more difficult to make use of it in the farming.

Tom Sawyer

Actually I said that I'm not sure yet if more interesting or too complicated.^^

And would you like to see lime as material especially for brick buildings or in general? I guess for old stone constructions they just used any stuff from the ground. Hm.. again I'm not sure if that is too complicated then.  ;D

Tom Sawyer

What do you think about brick buildings and certain stone constructions requiring mortar as you mentioned, made from sand and lime?

Lime Kiln: Stone --> Lime
??: Sand + Lime --> Mortar

Lime also available by import but mortar not. If we don't find a better solution, the mortar can be made in the brickyard. Would give sand another use besides glassmaking and mortar can look more reasonable together with bricks at a building site and would not a real builder be happy to work with bricks and mortar?^^

The secondary use of lime could be as flux for industrial smelting in the DS furnace. Why not, it's not wrong and nice if a material has not only one use. I find this material more and more interesting. Would like to continue with these ideas and to test the advanced version here including lime kiln. I also can make my current dev version working with mortar to have this link to the DS lime kiln for a test.

Nilla

Sorry @Tom Sawyer for misunderstanding.

I like your suggestions for lime and mortar. It's fun with a variety of building materials. This is a realistic and useful add on.

Still I'm more hesitant, when it comes to iron processing. A long time ago such things as iron and steel processing was a part of my education, but since I haven't used it for 40 years, I don't remember much, so I have googeled a bit. As I remembered, lime is used to purify the iron from sulphur and phosphor. Techniques were developed in the 19th century to use impure ore, that had limited use before and to increase the quality to make better steel. I read that today 30-90 kg lime is used for 1 ton iron. So it's really a minor but significant ingredient in iron processing.

Of cause, if you want to integrate this in the North, I will give it a try. How to use it, I don't know. There are some options to make it interesting.

Should lime be a necessary ingredient to make steel? In this case, It would make sense that only iron tools would be produced "small scale" in the small bloomery and blacksmith. Maybe a pity.

Should it give a third quality material, even better than steel, if you use lime? Here we could have tools of 2 different qualities in a "small scale version". Building an industry would give the advantage of even better quality tools. But do we need more than 2 quality of tools?

Should it be possible to use the ore more efficient, if you use lime? This would also be a logical and interesting motivation for starting a metal industry. We could keep the two different quality tools but you would be able to save valuable raw material and produce the same quality cheaper. This sounds the most interesting alternative to me.