News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Banished v1.0.7 Released

Started by RedKetchup, September 13, 2017, 10:17:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goblin Girl

I agree with Paeng.  I still play Master of Magic, which was released in 1994.  Not as often as I did 20 years ago, but it still holds my attention.  I think Banished will be the same.  I still haven't used all of the available content; not even close.  And maybe at some point I'll try my hand at modding, who knows?

Paeng

Quote from: Goblin Girl on September 15, 2017, 01:15:47 PMreleased in 1994

Oh sure, retro gaming is a genre on its own... mainly for good memories - most gamers (if seasoned enough ;) ) will have played Apogee's sidescrollers up and down...  :D

QuoteI still haven't used all of the available content; not even close.

Yep... well, I have probably used everything at least once, but that's just scratching the surface... there are plenty things I have not yet built into meaningful scenes, or am still awaiting additional content... or plainly need the time to build them LOL

[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

Tom Sawyer

I don't want to move to another game. Still love to make content for Banished and this message is not a reason to stop it. I'm also glad we got the new features of 1.0.7. It allows a lot new things in future. But I also think it is something different for modders than for players. For modders who spent a lot of time and thoughts in their work including tiring parts of model making and solving problems it is very sad to read about stopping support of the modkit. Especially if there were many ideas which cannot be included anymore without tweaking the core game. So I can not say I was not a bit disappointed yesterday. Now new things want to be finished or are already waiting for release...

embx61

I agree that even Luke seem to have abandoned Banished it does not have to mean the end of the game/modding.
Sim City 4 modding is still going strong I believe but Paeng probably know that better then anyone else. :)

Still a lot can be modded into banished as my to do list is still rather large.
Sure a lot of stuff will be a bit more of the same but variety is always wanted.

Still want to recreate about all my buildings from Prodset 1 and 2 in the style of the Village set. (3 are done Salt Mine, water Well, and Tannery)
Still have to design a Tavern for that set. Maybe a smaller Hostel for max 3 families.
New buildings like a Pottery and a Shoemaker.
Stone houses.
More decorations.

Okay, some of the game mechanics we wanted to see will never see the day of light unless Luke releases the C++ Source Code.

While I understand in one way Luke's decision to move on he could have added a couple of little things to the mod kit what IMHO would not had be hard or time consuming to do.

Like more clothing levels and maybe do something with soil quality (He had the code for this about ready before he scrapped it as he thought players would find it just annoying) and maybe a somewhat more enhanced happiness system.

I have no desire either just as Tom to move on. I cannot say I will mod forever for Banished and it will depend a lot what will be released the upcoming year(s), I have of course like the game, and if those games have Mod support and above all if Banished will still be played by enough players so it is worthwhile to keep modding for it.
[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

Paeng

Quote from: embx61 on September 15, 2017, 05:42:52 PMStill want to recreate about all my buildings from Prodset 1 and 2 in the style of the Village set.

I hope you do keep the current ones as well - they make a nice change to the "residential" (thatched) look and are easy to recognize as production buildings...  :)

Quotesome of the game mechanics we wanted to see will never see the day of light

That's true, but look at the amazing discoveries and workarounds you guys came up with - I'm sure other things will come up yet  ;)

* Since you mention SC - yeah, modding is still going, and even after almost 15 years these guys find new ways or even mechanics to do (or fix) things...

One of the things I would like to see is a bit more consolidation and tightening up of things already modded... like e.g. the thing with ore, which is finally more than a resource just lying on the ground, or the thing with lumber that just cropped up, another rather logical chain in my eyes... more building requirements are now also possible... or more food-processing facilities, drying, salting, smoking, preserves... and so on...

New resources and professions have often turned out some amazing results, more than just "more of the same" - thinking fodder/fertilizer, water, salt, flax, reeds, clay and many more. They all enable us to build up village industrials with a completely different focus - even if deep down they are just the original foodgroups and resources...

:)

embx61

O yes, I keep the current ones as well.

It was just that I was missing the buildings for the village set so it is just added variety :)

That what I was referring to as more of the same :)

I have the ore and hopefully it works fine. I made the Vanilla mine as a override because maybe not everyone wants to play with ore (yet) so they have a choice by either loading or not loading the override instead that I did the override in the Village Set.
It is just 1 extra step Ore to Iron in the smelter so not a big deal and I hope more modders will tie in with ore so it will become sort of the standard.

More buildings are coming like a shoemaker and saw mill at least but a pottery is also nice.

I thinking about that the pottery item(s) is needed for the oil press. They have to store the oils into something and seems to me better then just for trading.

Preservation of food is possible. The salt I have.
[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

Paeng

Quote from: embx61 on September 16, 2017, 02:01:55 AMIt is just 1 extra step Ore to Iron in the smelter so not a big deal and I hope more modders will tie in with ore so it will become sort of the standard.

Yeah, same here... and indeed, the smelter is not a major complication - it just makes sense  :)

As for the missing tavern - have you considered making more than one?
My (tiny) gripe is that the default tavern is a huge place, but only one workplace and one product (select fruit OR grain OR berries etc. from the dropdown)... so usually I need to build numerous brewers for numerous crops (or tediously switch them around frequently), all with the same overbearing building.

I would love to see a string of smaller scale taverns/breweries (with accordingly lower output) in different designs/textures, so every hamlet can have its own drinking spot, and each can produce a different type of ale, according to the crops I produce (the dropdown menu would still be the same)...

Quotepottery item(s) is needed for the oil press. They have to store the oils into something and seems to me better then just for trading.

Good idea... yeah, anything is better than just as a trade item... maybe pottery can also be a building requirement for (higher wealth) housing...

Hawk

I just downloaded the V-1.07 game from GOG and noticed that V-1.06 was 177 MB but the 1.07 is only 122 MB.
Does anyone know if 1.06 has to be installed prior to installing the 1.07 patch from GOG?
[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]

[color=#800000][i]Yes, I can multitask. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.[/i][/color]

Paeng

Quote from: Hawk on September 16, 2017, 02:54:56 AMV-1.06 was 177 MB but the 1.07 is only 122 MB.

That 106 DL maybe included the modkit? That's about 50Mb extra...

Hawk

Quote from: Paeng on September 16, 2017, 03:19:18 AM
That 106 DL maybe included the modkit? That's about 50Mb extra...

I don't believe so. I'll have to check. I had a hard drive crash and had to reinstall the OS and haven't installed Banished yet. I'll install 1.06 first and see if the mod-kit is included somehow.

Edit 1: OK! I see the difference now. The 1.06 version from GOG included both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions, whereas the 1.07 release was separate downloads of the 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]

[color=#800000][i]Yes, I can multitask. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.[/i][/color]

Paeng

Quote from: AzemOcram on September 15, 2017, 08:14:16 AMeventually the Banished community will move onto other games, such as Life is Feudal: Forest Village.

Sure, that is a possibility... but to LIF:FV? I highly doubt that...  :D

Even the positive reviews call it slow, bug-ridden, with a dumber AI than Banished. It doesn't even have trade ports... ???

As for modding, we'll see... done with Lua scripts, which is not easy, nor performant if used in big chunks, also hard to debug - and I'm not sure how deep it really reaches into FV.

Quote from: Hawk on September 16, 2017, 03:43:30 AMOK! I see the difference now. The 1.06 version from GOG included both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions

Glad you sorted that out  :)

Necora

@Paeng you mention lumber, what are your thoughts on this? How would you think of a step in the wood production that mimicks the iron ore? E.g. Tree = Wood (logs) = Lumber which is then used for all building. I've never been satisfied with cutting down a tree and then using the logs to build a house... it leaves too much to the imagination in my opinion. Same as hacking iron straight from the ground. I can see that logs etc. could be used for foundation beams or something, and perhaps a set of log cabins that can be built ASAP, but for most buildings with all this siding, shingles, slats etc. the wood would have to be worked before being used for building. This is historically lumber, a term that seems to be used for processed wood into usable lengths, that is then used in construction, furniture, making shingles and slats etc. Currently, I (and CC) have lumber for more advanced buildings, however I'm wondering if it should really be the 'iron' equivalent now with wood being the ore, so that all wood needs to be processed before being used in construction etc.

Thoughts?

We already have saw pits (slow to produce but quick and cheep to build), and lumber mills (high output) so it would not be too much more of a step in production as turning iron ore into iron.

And if you are worried about building houses without having to produce lumber first then you can always have a set of log cabins.

EDIT - I guess the same can be also asked of stone.... sure rough hewn stone can be used for foundations etc., but then you can also add a step where it is cut into stone bricks, or slates, etc.

Paeng

Quote from: Necora on September 16, 2017, 07:26:21 AMit would not be too much more of a step in production as turning iron ore into iron.

Certainly... I would gladly see another step to refine logs, like a sawmill or such (for lumber). Makes sense.  :)

Good idea to keep some logs available early on, for simple log houses, maybe with less capacity and heating value...

QuoteI guess the same can be also asked of stone...

Yeah, I always wanted another profession (mason?) to produce more sophisticated stone wares... However, even the "raw" stone would probably still be useful for simple foundations, (field)walls and such... so maybe this would be more a thing for an upgraded building... though I remember that many people are not too happy with the upgrading process (tear down/rebuild). But with the new possibility of adding materials or resources to building requirements, I feel that should be reviewed.  :)

brads3

historically lumber is the correct way to go.however,i like having the easier options also.production chains haven't been used much here @ WOB.many players find the CC ways overwhelming.i have found some "flaws" in the chanins.a few were discussing iron a while back. i looked and i can build most buildings without the iron at all,since CC uses building materials.those can be created from lumber and bricks.so the chain has a shortcut to work around iron.i do like the idea of higher-grade buildings requiring lumber or glass.
            instead of tearing down and upgrading buildings,we could make options. where 1 set is logs and stone,1 adds iron,next is lumber and iron and glass. maybe add cut stone or concrete<stone+clay>.with the new building requirements there is room for options.
       we could also do 2 levels of lumber,1 is modern lumber the other is slab lumber which is a squared off log. the modern lumber would require a sawmill built with iron to make. the slab lumber could be made with an axe and stone wedges.this is pre-rough cut lumber.if you go visit old barns,you will see the beams are not all the same size and some may have pieces of bark here and there.it does add another step but it saves the wait to having an iron supply before making lumber.
        i do hope CC continues to release parts of their mod.it is nice to have the option and gives players options as to how they set up their own game.

as to processed foods and using pottery. i think we could make jellies,jams,"canned" or packaged vegetables but do so more generic. to not have all the drop down menus where we have to select A+B or B+C etc. this may mean we need a "mixer" shop to mix various fruits and then the fruit mix is added to pottery to give jams.not sure if a mixer can be modded to automatically select various fruits for this. the other thing is there must be a gain to give reason to do processed foods.since it doesn't rot or spoil like plain foods,the output should be more than input.more value to a player than just adding trade value.i always hated that when you go to processing food your food amount drops so much.so by doing something to help the bannies,you actually starve them instead.

Necora

Quote from: Paeng on September 16, 2017, 07:59:18 AM
Yeah, I always wanted another profession (mason?) to produce more sophisticated stone wares... However, even the "raw" stone would probably still be useful for simple foundations, (field)walls and such... so maybe this would be more a thing for an upgraded building... though I remember that many people are not too happy with the upgrading process (tear down/rebuild). But with the new possibility of adding materials or resources to building requirements, I feel that should be reviewed.  :)

That is what I have been thinking. Stone gets harvested as is, but is only useful for foundations and walls as you say. Then you have a mason who cuts the rough stone into more refined products like bricks and slate tiles etc. that can be used for walls and roofs of more advanced buildings (upgraded or no).

I read a book, 'Pillars of the Earth', that I highly recommend, where one of the main characters is a master builder in medieval England. It described the job role and general construction site of a large building really well, the people involved, professions, an idea of the work places. It gave me the idea of having a range of such places that are small, cheep to build, employ 1 or 2 people, and can be 'popped up' when needed, e.g. around a large construction area. There would be a lumber cutter (saw pit), a carpenter (wood working benches), a mason (stone cutting pit), and a smith (some sort of furnace), that will provide various resources for the construction (lumber, slats, shingles, stone bricks, fittings, iron, furnishings etc.). They would also be useful early game if you wanted to change all wood to lumber etc.. All will be open air, and I've been making some modular coverings that can be used to give them shelter. I imagine that you could build them into a construction yard around around a larger project such as a cathedral or town center.