News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - North Pole South Annex - Story 21

Started by Abandoned, December 08, 2017, 01:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brads3

yep CC has started to change that issue by making all mills use all the same or many grains.i still like the old way even though you must be careful about which mill you build. an old mod mill mills corn and the old bakery makes cornbread,the nordic mill does rye,KID's is handy for oats,and the large CC mills for sorghum. the old way forces you away from building the same mill on every map since the start can give you a different grain as well as the trader might.makes the game more interesting than generic.

Abandoned

I will have to continue making better notes as CC continues to come out with modular, I have little experience playing CC.  I do like the variety and choices of combining different sets, picking and choosing different for each map.  I do have some must haves that are used more often.  There are an awful lot of mod to chose from.  ;D

Nilla

There's one building I don't recognize. On the picture with the smaller mill; in the front. It's also partly to be seen on one of the pictures from your last entry.

kid1293

I guess you mean the Herb Garden? It is from Bakery & Garden mod.
I try to introduce spices to the game and you have to get them somewhere.
Last it was seen in old Christmas mod where I made spices as crop.
After 25 years of waiting for spice seeds I guess many gave up.
I will have a spice greenhouse in new Christmas mod. Coming very soon.

Abandoned

@Nilla, the small mill is indeed from Kid-Bakery & Garden mod along with the Spice Garden for herbs or spiced

Chapter 4

Flour from the mill, honey from the hive, and spice from the spice garden were all the ingredients needed to build a gingerbread town hall.  The townspeople as well as the 22 elves that arrived in spring were impressed with the festive atmosphere of our town center. Our education rate was now 35% but we had 10 students in our school.

A second animal shed was constructed down the road from the first and with more milk and eggs, we thought it time to start producing some rich and creamy eggnog, a favorite seasonal beverage.  The Nog Nook was built near the first animal shed.

By early autumn of year 5, we built a bridge across the river.  We thought the land on the other side would be suitable to grow fruit and nut trees, we had apples but nuts were also a great stocking stuffer.  A trading post was also built in the hopes of getting a lot of seeds.

In late autumn the first snowstorm of the season hit.  The last of the elves that arrived in spring would have a home before Christmas, and we had a feeling that Rudolf's nose was going to get a work out this year, there was one snowstorm after another to end the year.

Abandoned

Chapter 5

Early spring of year 6 was cold and snowy with crisp and clear days that were even colder mixed in.   The first river boat trader arrived.  We traded iron tools, hide coats, leather, venison, and bonemeal for the wheat seeds he had.

Weather permitting, we worked on developing the area across the river.  A walnut forester and orchard gatherer were built and all the elves were impressed with the hobbit style buildings.  It reminded us all of The Shire.  Jadonis, the forester, immediately began collecting stone, iron, and logs while planting walnut trees.  He and his new bride, Machelsey, moved into the Nordic log cabin nearby.  They were North Pole South's first newlyweds.  She was still a student but would one day take over for the gatherer who was busy collecting mushrooms, berries, roots, and onions while waiting for those walnut trees to grow and produce. 

Another of Santa's elves began working in Santa's Workshop as soon as it was completed.  Before long we had some addition iron tools, hide coats, firewood, and candy.  We were really getting into the Christmas spirit now and plans were being made to build a candy store.  Maybe next year.  This year we were disappointed in our first apple harvest.  The final apple count was 798, a nice amount but considering the field was 12'x14', it should have been much larger. The climate was fair, but not fair enough for that size orchard.  Only 43% was harvested, the rest of the apples were lost.  Next year we would added a second farmer to the orchard.  We could spare a laborer, we had 8.  Our population was now 77, 35 adults, 15 students, and 27 young children.

Abandoned

Chapter 6

By early spring of year 7 we had built a spice house, you can never have enough spices at Christmas time.  One of the 3 elves that arrived in town began working there.  We thought this was a good time to build a cemetery and chose a spot next to the apple orchard where there was plenty of stone.  The new wheat field was growing quite well by the time the cemetery was completed.

On the other side of the river, a plum forester was built.  Another orchard gatherer was built nearby and again the gatherer began collecting wild foods while waiting for the forest trees to produce plums.  Another Nordic log cabin was built near the bridge for the workers.

There were quite a few objections when the candy store was built right next to the school but no one objected to the delicious honey & spice candy that was produced, certainly none of the children minded.

The wheat field produced a reasonable amount of grain which was soon on its way to the colonial mill to be turned into flour.  The apple orchard produced more apples this year than last however, even with a second worker, some of the apples were lost to an early freeze.

Greenhouses were built to protect the barley fields and Santa's workshop now had a residence built above it.  There was quite a bit of talk about a bakery and Yule Tap when the workshop produced tasty gingerbread cookies and ale.  Maybe next year.

brads3

besides rotting your teeth,does the candy and gingerbread help your diets?how good is the trade values? sorry for your bad lcuk with the apples.they actually like and need cold to produce. 1 of those deals the game doesn't take into consideration.the aples already produced should just freeze on the tree or ground and next year the tree should give more fruit.not a fault of a modder since the growing seasons are hardcoded.

Abandoned

@brads3 candy and gingerbread is food so must be the same trade value.  I will send some to the trading post to check the value.

brads3

don't send it. just tell the trader to ship 5. click open the trade value menu and it will automatically be listed with a trqade value.then go reset the 5 to 0. it can be a handy trick when dealing with many items.

Abandoned

@brads3  trade values are as I remembered: gingerbread 1, eggnog 1, candy 2, plum cake 2, and spices 3.  They make good Christmas treats but not good trade goods.  :)

Maldrick

Looking very nice, @Abandoned .

Getting me in the Christmas spirit early this year!
"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."
― Ezio Auditore da Firenze

Abandoned

Thanks @Maldrick , I will have to take a screenshot of the toolbar icons and the inventory, they both look real Christmasy.  :)  Have a Merry Christmas.

Abandoned

Chapter 7

The next year was a busy one.  Our first concern was our egg and milk production.  The output of our animal sheds were good considering they each had only 1 cow and a few chickens each, but Austic, the educated elf who worked at the Nog Nook, said the eggnog production would increase if he didn't have to always wait for eggs or milk.

We built a 2nd bridge thinking to add another animal shed or two on the other side of the river where there was plenty of room to expand.  We also built a 2nd trading post hoping a riverboat merchant would bring dairy cows. Dashade our trader said he would have no problem working  at both trading posts.  When Auren the seed merchant arrived, he had no seeds we wanted.

In early spring of year 8 the Christmas Baker oven was built.  We had plenty of flour, honey, and spice to start baking gingerbread.  The smell of fresh baked gingerbread was wonderful and our Christmas spirit increased.  Some elves were even humming Christmas songs already.  In spring, 4 more elves joined us and that summer we concentrated on building more housing for them and for the young couples who wanted a place of their own.

A third animal shed was built and a matching colorful little house was built next to it.  There was talk that a second story could be added on. Well, we did need more housing.

RedKetchup

woah ! do you have problems with my Colorful Little Houses ?? ? ??
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .