News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Medieval Times - Crude or Graceful?

Started by kid1293, January 26, 2018, 06:50:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yandersen

Indeed ispiring!
Kid, are you going to make it maybe placeable on the mountain (with a stair going down from a side)? Or you do not plan to go beyond just the appearance?

kid1293

It is hard to make it function on a mountain.
I would have to make a very 'universal' staircase to match every hill.
No, I intend to keep it on solid ground.

About appearance - I know it is a monastery :) but what is it in Banished?
There are many suggestions. None is sticking out.

Yandersen

Quote from: kid1293 on January 28, 2018, 11:23:37 AM
It is hard to make it function on a mountain.
I would have to make a very 'universal' staircase to match every hill.
Not necessarily. I just made a floor+ceiling components making a precise terraforming, so any reshaping to the desired layout is possible. If you wish, of course. But you don't. Oki-doki then.  :)

elemental

Quote from: kid1293 on January 28, 2018, 11:23:37 AM
About appearance - I know it is a monastery :) but what is it in Banished?
There are many suggestions. None is sticking out.

Sorry, but I don't understand your question. Are you asking what should your monastery do in the game?

Or are you planning to make a new building based on the Tatev monastery (looks great, by the way  :)) that isn't going to be a monastery in game, and you want to know what sort of building it should be?

kid1293

Quote from: elemental on January 28, 2018, 02:07:07 PM
Or are you planning to make a new building based on the Tatev monastery (looks great, by the way  :)) that isn't going to be a monastery in game, and you want to know what sort of building it should be?

Exactly. I don't want to make a mess of a building from 8-9th century!  :-\

elemental

I thought you would be using the Tatev monastery as inspiration for your own monastery.

The little church is beautiful and the recent lumber mill is an excellent reproduction of the historical building. I doubt you will mess this up.  :)

elemental

Earlier I wanted a normal smiley in parentheses (colon parenthesis parenthesis) and it turned into this: :))   What is that? Smiley at the dentist? Smiley sneezing?  ???

galensgranny

kid1293

A little of both, I want a proper function for main building.
All production, growing and whatever, should be spread out.
I don't make promises but I hope to build more.
I have the basic model in Sketchup. I had to halve the size!
Who wants 25x20 in game?  ??? Some small aesthetic changes...

I read that other than a religious center it was also a teaching center.
So a school could be handy. If I add happiness 'spirit' to it, there
is a substitute for a church if you want that.

I realize there is no end to this. If I build one building, a lot of questions
arise and requests are being made for more of a similar kind.
Maybe just tired. :)

:)) is something hidden from the toolbox for messages. Like a wide laugh I think.

galensgranny

Quote from: elemental on January 28, 2018, 02:54:05 PM
Earlier I wanted a normal smiley in parentheses (colon parenthesis parenthesis) and it turned into this:  What is that? Smiley at the dentist? Smiley sneezing?  ???

Ha ha ha!  I think it is Smiley sneezing.

Hawk

It's a cheesy smile with grin eyes, so I guess it would be a cheesy grin instead of a cheesy smile. LOL!
[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]

[color=#800000][i]Yes, I can multitask. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.[/i][/color]

galensgranny

Quote from: kid1293 on January 28, 2018, 03:01:55 PM
I read that other than a religious center it was also a teaching center.
So a school could be handy. If I add happiness 'spirit' to it, there
is a substitute for a church if you want that

Are you saying it can be coded as a school with students attending, but then also have the happiness spirit of a church?  If so, that would be great! 

elemental

Is this becoming a monastery mod (like the mission?), or just a collection of buildings with a monastery in it?

The CC monastery makes blueberries, ale, or herbs (unless they have changed it - I haven't built one in ages). It makes these products out of nothing (just labour).

I like the idea of alcohol and/or cheese production. They could be brewing ale/ageing cheese in the monastery cellar while all their other monk business goes on upstairs. Whether they make goods out of nothing or if they require milk or apples or whatever, that doesn't bother me. Also, there are lots of mods offering lots of products/ingredients, so I don't think every mod needs to offer a way to make every raw material from scratch. I like to see mods that play well with other mods.  :) Makes it easier for the modders, too.

Another option is to have the monastery make a high value product for exporting. Special aged wine or cheese. A long production time to make a special high value product would be interesting. Most production times in Banished are quite short.

Healthcare or education would be good, but I doubt they would run a hospital or a school inside a monastery. In a separate buildings seems more likely.

Also perhaps consider a limit of one monastery per map.

galensgranny

Elemental, sure some of the monasteries would have some students or sick people inside.  Many of the buildings are enormous with many sections, and additions attached.  Depending upon how far back one goes in time, the location, and which religious order it was, it wasn't that the Monks or Nuns were "running a hospital" or "running a school", but rather they would care for sick people who came their way or had no where else to turn to for help.  There were no hospitals way way back.   Monasteries would take in students studying to become monks or priests. 

But anyway, Kid said he didn't want the building to actually be considered as an actual monastery.  He found that interesting building that had been built as a monastery but wants it to be used for something not a monestary in the game.

elemental

Quote from: galensgranny on January 28, 2018, 09:52:58 PM
it wasn't that the Monks or Nuns were "running a hospital" or "running a school", but rather they would care for sick people who came their way or had no where else to turn to for help.

That's my point exactly... monasteries weren't just a hospital or a school - they were many things. But that doesn't work in the game because a building can only do one thing.

But the main function of a monastery was to house a religious community. Monks or nuns living together, often separated from the rest of the town/village but still interacting with the community in various ways, making various goods and offering various services.