Medieval Times - Crude or Graceful?

Started by kid1293, January 26, 2018, 06:50:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

kid1293

I don't like it.
It is like the entrance to a town hall.

kid1293

Yup, bee garden it is, you have to go for apple seeds.

DesoPL

My thoughts about that set.

Another set what might fit well with Gothic walls what kid maked before. But got more potential for more housing and services like school, butcher, water well, tailor etc. But this is only my opinion i'm not forcing @kid1293 to do it.

Maldrick

That's a great combo. :)  Actually, last time I played with your abbey it was along with workplace beekeepers and brewers.  Where there are monks there must be copious amounts of alcohol produced. :)
"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."
― Ezio Auditore da Firenze

Turis

@kid1293 You could replace the stone with wood in the stairway except a couple of steps at the bottom and place underneath crates, barrels, haystacks or a fake well/fountain.

kid1293

@DesoPL - You are right. I am still into that style.

I want to explore the happiness things in Banished.
So, a church, a well, and now maybe a monastery (as tavern!) :)
and some sort of refined herbalist/hospital. I will add happiness 'health'
to herbalist. I will increase happiness radius in all and the future will tell
if bannies can be happy :)

I started with houses and now, since I have them, I keep the door open
for more buildings. A school can be a later building.
But no production planned (except monastery).
:D and no town hall...

DesoPL

To be honest, this might be perfect fit for Witcher style alike cities like Novigrad etc.

galensgranny

Quote from: Kid1293Yup, bee garden it is, you have to go for apple seeds.
Oh, I am late to the discussion.  You already made a bee garden that gives apples too, so I would like the monks to make jam and maybe bread.  You have the little garden spots that can grow grains and strawberries, and they can use berries from the forest.  The Trappist monasteries in the past and today produce jam (and cheese, fruitcake, bread and beer, among other things). 

I use your little garden patch to grow strawberries, but haven't found anything that uses strawberries to make a different food product.

But, a monastery that acts like a tavern is good too for the added happiness effect.  My preference would be no more bees, no wine but rather more food items.   My bannies get more happy from tasty foods.  ;D   Whatever you decide and personally like will be great, as all your mods are.

Quoteand no town hall...

:(   I always like new town hall styles.

elemental

A monastery as a tavern? That's seems like the opposite of what a monastery is (or was). I don't know that much about monasteries but I was under the impression that they were built so monks and nuns could get away from the general public, not invite them in for a drink.

Wiki says that monks and nuns sometimes offered the locals education and healthcare. So a school and hospital fit right in with this theme.  :)

kid1293

Hmm, you are actually right @elemental . I just grabbed a straw to make
something out of an otherwise empty monastery. Maybe make it a hospital?
Healing was always a controversy for the church. It was god's domain...
So monks were the right people to take care of the sick.

And separate tavern with/without bees.

galensgranny

I agree that a monastery being a tavern is not something real monks would care for!

I still like my idea of the monastery being like the real Trappist monks monasteries where they make jams, fruitcakes and other food products to sell to support themselves as that is one of their official rules going way back, to produce items for sale to support themselves rather than live by donations. 

(I really want a place that will make strawberry jam, I guess.)

A monastery as a hospital works too, since in the Middle Ages in Europe, monasteries did care for the sick.

QuoteAnd separate tavern with/without bees.

Thanks!  My Bannies don't like too many bees swarming around buildings, though they do like the honey.  :)

Tom Sawyer

Tavern sounds indeed odd but brewing beer fits very well. In medieval Europe monastic breweries were very common. Monasteries were often centers of local economies with much land and agriculture. They brewed beer mainly to sell it and in Germany we still have traditional beer brands called Klosterbier or Klosterbräu which means monastic beer or brew. So banished monks also can be masters of beer brewing. :)

kid1293

I let the thread go a while. Many suggestions.

@galensgranny - I totally love strawberry jam but right now I focus on
completing a set of 'happiness' buildings. Hospital sounds good.

@Tom Sawyer
Even if I brew beer in monastery I have to have a building for serving beer.
Unless I call it food  ;)

@elemental - the monastery I have looked at actually served as the towns
education center but I don't need a school.

Glenn