News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Okay, so what DOES the market circle mean?!?

Started by irrelevant, June 28, 2014, 04:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

It doesn't limit where the vendors go for resources, they go everywhere.

It doesn't limit who can draw resources there, if that is the closest source for someone, that's where they'll go, whether in the circle or out.

It doesn't cause the vendors to bring resources for demand within the circle; if you watch a new market with only houses in the circle, it will have logs, iron, wool, leather....

And we know the vendors don't make home deliveries, inside the circle or out.

So, we know what it doesn't do, what does it do?

irrelevant

Ah! Maybe production workers inside the circle will deliver their goods to the market in preference over other storage? Farmers too? Laborers storing produce?

RedKetchup

maybe :P i cant tell (sometimes i dont use any market lol like my 500farmers map ^^)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

salamander

I think if a house is built within the market circle, the house occupants will prefer to go to the market for food etc... rather than other storage sites, even if they're closer.  I can't swear to that, but that's how I think about it based on what I've seen in other threads.

I'm sure those here who know way more about it than I do, will set me straight if I'm way off base.

solarscreen

Simply put, all residents inside the market will prefer the market to barns and stockpiles for resources.  Well managed and stocked markets can reduce a lot of walking and improve performance and survival of your citizens.
Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

Kaldir

Markets are a way to provide food variety for houses who draw from it, while the nearest barn would usually not have as much variety. As such the radius is useful because citizens will prefer it to a nearer barn as @solarscreen and @salamander said.

Will a blacksmith also prefer the market for logs and iron, even if a stockpile with those resources is closer? In that case it might increase walking distance.

I always assumed the circle meant a house outside it wouldn't use the market at all, but I never tested that. If the circle only means a preference, then it allows for some more flexible planning for me. Good information.  :)

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

rkelly17

Quote from: irrelevant on June 28, 2014, 04:55:06 PM
Ah! Maybe production workers inside the circle will deliver their goods to the market in preference over other storage? Farmers too? Laborers storing produce?

While farmers will sometimes deliver goods to markets (I'm not sure whether the same applies to tailors, blacksmiths or woodcutters), normally they go to barns or yards. The vendors then get what they need from the barns and yards. Blacksmiths, tailors and woodcutters will get raw materials from markets if they are inside the circle and the market has the materials. Since laborers may carry items for quite some time before they put them in storage, you will also find what seem to be odd items from far across the map in barns and yards.

In my 500 farmers town I have followed people who got sick while "collecting fuel." In cases where their local market was out of firewood, people were willing to go long distances to find a market with firewood or coal in stock and then carry it all the way back home (which in these cases was unfortunate since they were sick and spread disease all along the way).

JimmiG

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) residents living outside of the market circle will prefer whatever is closest, market or barn. So if they live close to a barn with only fish in it, they'll only eat fish, and will never go to the market to pick up other foods.

mariesalias

Quote from: Kaldir on June 29, 2014, 06:28:05 AM
I always assumed the circle meant a house outside it wouldn't use the market at all, but I never tested that. If the circle only means a preference, then it allows for some more flexible planning for me. Good information.  :)

I agree! I always kind of assumed this too, and made sure homes outside the circle had nearby barns.

I have seen farmers drop their crops off at the market and I have seen laborers take logs to a market place if there were no nearby stockpiles. I am not sure this is the norm for labor behavior though.

salamander

Quote from: mariesalias on June 30, 2014, 02:56:38 AM
I agree! I always kind of assumed this too, and made sure homes outside the circle had nearby barns.

It seems like that would still be a good thing to do ... it's a long way from the edge of the market circle to the middle and back.

"When I was your age, little Hell, we had to walk 5 miles to the market just to get a peach ... uphill ... in the snow ... both ways."

tomplum68

I've had tailors and blacksmiths drop their wares in the marketplace as they don't use the stockpile for these items and the marketplace was closer than any barn.

Kaldir

Quote from: salamander on June 30, 2014, 04:16:29 AM
"When I was your age, little Hell, we had to walk 5 miles to the market just to get a peach ... uphill ... in the snow ... both ways."

Uphill both ways? That sounds like Escher (or Penrose or Reutersvärd).

salamander

I'm a big fan of Escher's drawings, but my comment to little Hell was something like what I used to hear as a kid to sort of make fun of adults who always wanted to talk about how tough things were when they were young, and how easy we had it as kids.  The funny thing is, in retrospect, they were probably right.

torgonius

In regards to the market circle itself, what constitutes 'inside the circle'?

Does the house have to be 100% in the circle, have the entrance inside the circle, or any part of the house touching the circle?