News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - Crystal Canyon - Story 36

Started by Abandoned, December 31, 2018, 08:37:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

oh my gosh, a foot and a half, that is a lot more than we are expecting - maybe 4 inches but could be more with lake effect if wind switches a bit.  I don't think I will mind the cold too much as long as we get some sun.  It has been very cloudy the last 2 -3 months.

Stay warm  :)

brads3

you can keep more than 4" for us. better yet keep the sub zero temps.

Abandoned

:) If only it would work that way, I would keep a few more.

Abandoned

Chapter 19

The winter of year 29 was very cold and there was a lot of snow.  In early spring of year 30 there was yet another heavy snowfall that was followed by a sudden rise in temperature and heavy rain.  Both the river and Crystal Creek's water level rose.  We pulled the fisherman off the fishing trees for their own safety.  We feared a flood.  And then the rainbow appeared in the east and we were in awe of its beauty.  And then to our amazement 2 rainbows appeared over Crystal Creek in the west, a rare occurrence indeed.  Rarer yet was the fact that these 3 rainbows did not fade away as rainbow always do.  They stayed with us and were a constant reminder of the old Elven legend of the Great Flood.

Legend has it that the great Elven God was angry at how evil man had become, and planned to destroy them with the Great Flood.  He wanted a pair of every animal saved and had a huge ship built.  Then he made it rain.  After the flood waters receded he placed his rainbow in the sky as a reminder of the promise he made to never again destroy the whole world with water.  Elven Legends say the unicorns disappeared from the earth during that flood and there was nothing the wood elves could do to save them. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NIP0KDG5AE

We wood elves do everything we can to help protect the wild animals during winter when food is scarce, and especially during spring  when they have baby animals to care for.  We were all sad that spring of year 30 when we could not protect Callas who died during childbirth.  She left behind 2 young children and a grieving husband who sought comfort fishing from the pond where she fished and being close to home and the children.

That summer we opened the nectar garden making bottles of fruit nectar with the fresh crop of wild berries.  We gathered together to share a bottle of nectar and memories of Callas.  In memory of the unicorns we began constructing a sanctuary garden by Crystal Creek.  It would serve as a place of rest and safety to animals and humans alike.

rkelly17

Quote from: Abandoned on January 18, 2019, 03:06:21 PM
:) We have winter storm warning issued here now and will be followed by frigid cold, sorry but it is headed your way.  I think it was meant for you, I am just in the way.  ;D ;D ;D

Here in Southern Ontario we caught the northern edge of your storm--just 5 or 6 centimeters (2ish inches in US measures) but it is windy and on its way down to -17 C (about 0 F) by tomorrow. Since this Winter has so far been up and down around freezing with rain, snow or freezing rain on and off, this is a shock to the system. The cat wanted to go out all day, but when I'd open the door, he would look out and turn around and go back to his warm bed. At least this snow is colder and lighter than what we have been getting. I hate shoveling wet and heavy snow. Since it is still snowing, I'll put off shoveling until tomorrow morning.

Abandoned

The worst of the storm missed us here in southeast Wisconsin, we only got 4 to 5 inches of fluffy snow but did have some blowing and drifting.  The last storm missed us entirely.  So far this month we've had some near 40F temps so this single digit days and zero and below nights will seem really cold.   :)  I shoveled sidewalk and path to birdfeeder today, will be too cold tomorrow.  :)  Clear sky now so hopefully at least it will be sunny.  Have a good day.  :)

Abandoned

Chapter 20

The sanctuary was completed during the winter of year 30 and it was a place of beauty and tranquility, a wonderful tribute to a magnificent creature.  We all looked forward to seeing the sanctuary in spring.  At the end of year 30 there were 95 of us, 51 adults, 15 students, and 29 young children. 

During year 31 we continued our Elven ways of protecting the animals by using pain free enchanted bows and not overhunting.  We protected the forests by gathering fallen branches for firewood and replanting trees to replace the ones we cut, and we protected the earth by composting surplus foods and vines.  We taught the children the old ways of survival and conservation and Elven magic.  Our settlement of well educated purebred wood elves continued to grow and on the very last day of winter year 31 Crystal Canyon's 100th citizen was born.

To our amazement a crystal ball on a pedestal appeared outside the Tree of Leaflets.  Upon gazing into it we saw the Elven Council who commended us for a job well done.  We lived up to their expectations and they encouraged us to continue protecting our bloodline and our magic.  They presented us with not one but 3 crystal balls, 1 in each part of town so we could easily oversee our entire settlement at any time.  And as you know, weary traveler, our treefellows would always be on guard to help us protect it.

So now, weary traveler, sorry to say, it is time for you to go.  You will be safely teleported to any town you chose after a spell of forgetfulness is cast upon you.  Don't worry, it is only our settlement and its location that you will forget, your other memories will remain yours forever.  The magic?  Yes, weary traveler, you will still see the magic, it will be all around you.  It's right there for all to see in the snowflakes that fall in wintertime, and the trees that awaken in spring, in the summer rain and rainbows, and colorful leaves of autumn.  The magic is there in the fish that swim and the birds that fly and the animal and human babies that cry.  You'll see all the magic if you try. 

Are you ready to go?
Fare thee well, weary traveler.  POOF

The End

Abandoned

Thank you @kid1293  for this delightful Fairy Tale mod. :)  And thank you readers for your patience waiting for its release.  While you waited a few adjustment were made and a marketplace (not shown) has been added.  I hope you enjoyed my story and will enjoy Fairy Tale mod as much as I did.

http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=2841.0

Gatherer

It was a fun and interesting story to read. I really like the greenhouse chain and the need for crystals to make stuff.

I think buildings from the swamp mod would fit nicely with the elven theme. I'll give it a try after I finish my current map/town.
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

brads3

there are some really neat pieces in this mod.

kid1293

Thank Abandoned for those. I am just the architect  ;)

Abandoned

:) Thanks guys, but what is a few ideas without a great architect?

kid1293

I take the chance to promote the mod and say -
Check out very close! Those details are really good! :)

kid1293

Very nice indeed! I like the variations in trees.

But please, start a new thread if you have a village to show.

Abandoned

Nice village @perer20  I am glad you are enjoying Fairy Tale mod, but did you like my story? :)