News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Do You Bother Planting Orchards?

Started by banisheduser, August 01, 2014, 09:25:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Nonny Moose

I only plant orchards if I am sure I can staff them properly.  They generally take more farmers than a crop field and are less productive. 

Generally, the life of an orchard is far to short.  The simulation ticks orchard trees out of production far to quickly and then there is the pause while new trees grow and a slight production hiatus.

I think I've resigned myself to either trading for fruit or growing only for the Tavern as the increment in food production isn't worth it.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

heaven1

When you plant an orchard an the trees start to go down, all you have to do is re-click on the type of fruit you planted and they will plant trees in place of the one's that fell.

mariesalias

Quote from: heaven1 on August 08, 2014, 06:42:13 AM
When you plant an orchard an the trees start to go down, all you have to do is re-click on the type of fruit you planted and they will plant trees in place of the one's that fell.

Welcome @heaven1!

The farmers will replant the trees automatically, even if you do not re-click the fruit type. Once your orchard trees stay dying off, then your production from the orchard goes down and becomes unreliable compared to other food sources.

They do seem to start dying off much sooner then they should.

rkelly17

Orchards do go through a life cycle--which is much shorter in Banished than in RL. That being said, after a period of die-off and replanting they do come back to full strength for a time before the next die-off/replanting cycle. Field crops are more consistent, but don't forget that climate and work-load for farmers affects harvests in fields as well. And orchards just plain look nice.

RavenSteele

Ever notice that your people age much faster than they should also?  And livestock, deer, and trees reproduce and age much faster as well?  I believe the game intentionally speeds up time for our own sanity.  It appears to be a year per season, so an entire year in the game would actually equal 5 years in real life.  When a season finishes the game skips a year, and shifts up to the next season.  After 4 seasons, 4 years have passed plus the 4 shifts in seasons, resulting in a total of 5 years.  For simplicity, the game pretends a single year is passing for the crop cycles, but for everything else it seems to go by this 4 season/5 year rotation.  I believe the life of trees in an orchard go by this logic as well, so when 10 in-game years have passed the trees have actually aged 50 years.

mariesalias

@RavenSteele   I hadn't thought about it that way but it makes more sense that way. But it is confusing to have one type of crop age one way and the other type another way.

RavenSteele

Yeah there is a disconnect there.  Harvesting the fruit goes by the same cycle as farming, but the trees don't.  I understand why the game is setup that way, but still its confusing :)

RedKetchup

but still, something needs to be done. nobody are using these orchards anymore (out maybe to do something about the game is lacking : 'visual' improvements items)
and it needs to be fixed.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

irrelevant

I keep thinking of using them, but each time I think, it's so much simpler to make that space into farms, and trade for the fruit.

RedKetchup

in my new game, i have 200 citizens and i have 96k apples lol (after all citizens took their share part) and 0 orchard

RavenSteele

I think a simple solution to make them usable would be to increase their output.  Maybe double the amount of yield each year.  Suggestion for the next patch maybe.

irrelevant

I'd be happy with them if they died off half as fast.

RedKetchup

slink

It takes 3 world years for them to become productive, which is 15 people years.  That is too long for a fruit tree.  Then they only produce for about 3 years before they start dying.  That is 30 people years old, which is too short for a tree.  They were designed by a man who portrays herbivores as kneeling to graze, which may simply mean that he hasn't a very firm grasp of some aspects of rural life.  Or it may have been his way of preventing players from having a steady food source.  Worse desecration has occurred in the name of game balance in the past.  We'll simply fix the trees to our own tastes when he sees fit to release the modding kit.

rkelly17

Given that we have productive orchards of 100 year old apple trees in these parts, 30 year is definitely too short. Now if we wanted to simulate real life we'd have a major canning company get a government subsidy to build a cannery, convince all the farmers to plant canning peaches for the plant, then a few years later decide that peaches are cheaper in China and pull down the plant and abscond with the government subsidy money, thus resulting in the farmers digging up the peach trees to plant something else. Note: This actually happened in the Niagara Peninsula a few years back. Seriously.  >:(

While we're at it, once we start modding why not berry fields? Strawberries could work like field crops and blueberries and raspberries like orchards (without the constant replanting).