News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

OH a new toolkit version ! Workshop beta !

Started by RedKetchup, September 26, 2014, 01:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Pangaea

It's only for Shite? :(

Hopefully he updates the modkit for other users too. I wouldn't touch that place with a ten-foot pole.

irrelevant

Quote from: Pangaea on September 26, 2014, 03:35:02 PM
It's only for Shite? :(

Hopefully he updates the modkit for other users too. I wouldn't touch that place with a ten-foot pole.
Yes, I do not like Steam at all.

RedKetchup

bah me steam doesnt matter to me, i never go on their stuff. i have a launcher but thats all. i am used to have launcher since blizzard has one for warcraft.

slink

It's available to everyone else, too.

"There's a new Banished Kit required for using the features of Steam workshop. Version 1.0.4 Build 140925 Beta. If you're not using steam, you can still update to the latest patch and download the new mod kit."

http://www.shiningrocksoftware.com/mods

Edit:

Changes for Banished build 140925

- Updated to latest FBX sdk. This required moving x32 and x64 builds into their own folder since the dll name is the same for both 32 and 64 bit versions.
    - Added support for a cmd.txt file that contains command line parameters. cmd.txt must be in the same folder as the executable.
    - Added command line parameter /bin that tells the game where the main /bin folder is located relative to the executable. This allows a single bin/WinData folder to be used along side the x32 and x64 versions of the game.
    - Added a new variable to PackageFile resources, 'String _preview = "pngOrJpgPath";' This is a square preview image that is used when uploading mods to steam workshop. If not set, no preview image will be uploaded to steam.
    - Added Steam Workshop support. Mods can be created, updated, downloaded, and browsed in game. Any updates to subscribed mods will download automatically. A reload is required once downloads are complete.
    - Fixed tooltip text going outside the background boundaries.
    - Fixed combo boxes not displaying correcly after being enabled, disabled, then re-enabled.

rkelly17

Being a Steam user I got the new version of the modkit. @RedKetchup, I found a bunch of files in the new version referencing stone fences. The files are in the folder fences under resources\models. Maybe they were in the old kit too, but I never noticed.

RedKetchup

thats what i used, the stone fence inside the fence folder

canis39

It's so funny to me, the folks that dislike Steam feel the need to vocalize their dislike so often, and with such vehemence. Why, I wonder? Why is it so important for you that everyone else knows that you dislike Steam?

slink

So that non-Steam sources for games don't disappear forever?  But it was reasonable this time because the thread OP implied that, once again, only Steam users got the update.  That turned out not to be true, but many people don't read the entire thread or investigate the issue before responding.

irrelevant

My apologies, I was just socializing (something I'm not very good at), I didn't realize it was a sensitive topic <<adds Steam to the list with religion and politics>>  ;)

canis39

Folks on another forum I frequent do the same thing - they take every opportunity to mention how much they dislike Steam. I don't see what purpose it serves. Random forum posts are unlikely to have much effect. If you don't like Steam, make your feelings known to game developers.

slink

I'll stop saying I don't use Steam on forums if people stop telling me on forums to get such-and-such on Steam.   ;D

RedKetchup

i guess people got some bad events, i dunno i never got any problem.

rkelly17

I can understand why people don't like Steam. I hated it when Civ 5 forced me to get Steam to play the game. Now I am fine with it, though I don't frequent the forums there--too much inane chatter and misinformation. The workshop for Civ 5 has some very nice mods and it is usually, but not always (  >:( ) easy to subscribe to a mod. Most of the good mods are available on other sites with better discussion, so up to this point Steam hasn't sucked all the modding energy away from the same sites that had the good Civ 4 mods. Maybe the same will be true for Banished. I suspect that any indie game developer needs the sales from Steam to keep going, along with GOG and Humblebundle. And if I hadn't discovered Banished on Steam I wouldn't have found all of you.  :)

I can also understand why people need to go on rants. I do it all the time, myself. Very cathartic. As long as they are intelligent rants, of course.  ;)

Pangaea

The above are some of the reasons I dislike the steaming turd :D I hate that container application that is present for no good reason at all, and don't want it portbombing all the time. But more importantly, I don't like DRM, so I stay away from steam and support GOG instead. The way I use my computer there are only disadvantages to having stuff on steam, which is why I own nothing there, and haven't installed it since I bought a new computer (I did some betatesting before, which sadly required steam). I like to keep in control of my own computer, which means no DRM if I can help it. And looking a little farther ahead, I want to support companies with practices I support, and it would be a dying shame if a few years into the future everything is tied to steam. It's how these things usually play out. At first prices are low to get customers, then prices go up, consumer rights/practices gradually disappear and you're left in a bit of a shit situation with a near-monopoly distributor in control of most matters. Sadly humble bundle has become steam bundle now (they were great before), so if there is something interesting, I make sure to buy them on GOG instead, or directly from the developer.

However, in these times, where it's nigh on impossible to buy a new game that isn't tied to steam, that means I don't buy new games. Which is fine really, as most new games are a bit crap anyway. I'm not into shooters, so that 80% of the games I guess :D and many other categories aren't very interesting either. But I love the old games I have, so that's fine, for the most part. It's why these new indie games are great for me, because there is genuine creativity in them, and they offer something different that the usual big dogs would never dare to do, because it's not a guaranteed big seller.

Back on topic, is there any real changes in the new modkit, have there been any bug fixes that you have discovered?