News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Stand alone or Steam version?

Started by solarscreen, May 10, 2014, 08:36:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

solarscreen

Which do you use and which do you prefer?

I have only played on the stand alone version of Banished. I don't use Steam so I didn't want to install another program on my computer just to play.

How about you?
Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

dogsinapile

I use the stand alone version ...
Have never really done a lot of gaming other than all of the SimCity stuff (except the last one that required you to be online).

slink

I only use the stand-alone Banished.

Edit:  If this game had only been released through Steam, my response would have been the same as it has been for all of the other games released only through Steam: "Oh well."

nmid

Stand alone version 1.0.1 & pirated version 1.0.2..
Wish I had gotten the bundle with the steam key though.

torgonius

I'm on Steam, and I probably wouldn't have found the game had I not been.

mariesalias

I have been using the stand alone version until recently when I activated my Steam key so I could test if the beta would stop my hunger/starvation deaths in my one-road challenge town. Nothing else I had done had stemmed the deaths. The beta did.

So now I have both installed. Though I currently seem to be having some issues with the stand alone version so until the patch is officially released, I guess I will be playing on Steam. 

ivorymalinov

I play both the standard from the developers page, and I chucked the steam key into steam so I can try the beta version.

Kaldir

I chose the Steam version, because I actually like Steam. It makes managing all my games so much easier (especially when reinstalling my computer) and does a pretty decent job in patching all the games.
I don't mind the DRM side of Steam and always have it online. I know people have (had) trouble with Steam, but I hardly ever have an issue.

I like having a lot of my games in one place with one login, without the need of install discs.

rkelly17

I started on Steam because I wanted Civilization V and that was the only way. At first I was angry and resentful, but slowly I've come to appreciate Steam. I've found several games that I enjoy that I might not have found otherwise--including Banished. I don't participate in the Steam fora for Banished because there is just too much, well, to be polite, let's call it silliness.

Rezulm

Steam version and Kaldir said it well about Steam.  Its not rubbish like that Origin thing.

salamander

I'm using the Steam version, not because of any particular love of Steam, but because my kids (who use Steam almost exclusively) have decided that computer games are good B-day, father's day, xmas, etc... gifts.  Mind you, I'm not complaining -- I've enjoyed everything they've gotten me -- but it did make me start using Steam more and more (my wife said I had to for the kids' sake).  ;)

solarscreen

@salamander both my boys have computers full of steam games!

Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

DareDevyL

Exclusively steam. Updates automatically(except some beta's), all info in one place...  no discs... no fuss...  tons of sales....   multiple pc's, cloud saves with many games...  I think it is a nice presentation layer. As well, you can opt out of stuff you don't like...  In the near future... SteamOS....

Pythias

I'm intrigued by the upcoming Steam system myself.  But until then, I'll always opt for non steam.  Too often I'm waiting for my kid at dance, or practice, or who-knows-what and I'm not a fan of using public WiFi, especially to play a game.  So I have my "Dad" time reading or, at the moment, playing Banished.

mariesalias

I was slower to adopt Steam then my husband. I tend to be much more cautious with my computer then he is. So I let him test out new programs/technology before I decide if i want to adopt it too. I have not had reason to regret using Steam (unlike Origin) and have grown to like it enough that I got my son his own account (and games) as a reward for learning to read.