News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Quarrys

Started by irrelevant, September 26, 2014, 10:08:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

Never have built one. But I'm going to need to build one in Gnaw Bone.

When should I build it? Do I need to have steel tools first? How many quarrymen do I need to assign to make the production worth the investment?

Help me out, you stoners  ;)

RedKetchup

when i do one which is rarely ^^ i put like 5-6 people on it. keep in mind it is not like when you select a buch of rocks on the ground and ask to farm ^^. it is slower.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

irrelevant

Can you work it with iron tools?

RedKetchup

? i dont understand the relation of a quarry and iron Tools. quarry are for stones. and iron Tools are made from wood and iron.

salamander

@irrelevant -- yes, iron tools are fine for quarry workers.  In fact, and I won't swear to this, when you run out of tools and workers still complete their jobs just more slowly, I think this applies to quarry workers, too.  Must be really hard on the hands, though.

slink

Mining and quarrying do still continue without tools, but very slowly.  I guess they use deer antlers for tools.   ;D

irrelevant

Quote from: RedKetchup on September 26, 2014, 11:30:17 PM
? i dont understand the relation of a quarry and iron Tools. quarry are for stones. and iron Tools are made from wood and iron.
I'm concerned that iron tools would wear out too fast.
Quote from: salamander on September 27, 2014, 04:59:42 AM
@irrelevant -- yes, iron tools are fine for quarry workers.  In fact, and I won't swear to this, when you run out of tools and workers still complete their jobs just more slowly, I think this applies to quarry workers, too.  Must be really hard on the hands, though.
Hah! I'd expect so.
Quote from: slink on September 27, 2014, 05:02:25 AM
Mining and quarrying do still continue without tools, but very slowly.  I guess they use deer antlers for tools.   ;D
Is there a mod for that? ;)

A Nonny Moose

There doesn't seem to be an ideal time for adding a Quarry.  I generally try to get one completed just before I run out of field stone.  I have had some success with only 2 workers, but the more the merrier.

The same applies to mines.  For an iron mine, I like to have a smithy, and if you have a coal mine (as well) then you can have your smithy make steel tools if you can stop the townspeople from consuming your coal for heat.

Iron tools do the job anyway, but don't last as long.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

rkelly17

A Nonny Moose gives an accurate view of quarries. The only thing to add is that your poor stonecutters will die from being crushed by stones more often than anyone else except miners being killed by cave-ins. I haven't built a quarry since I learned how to trade for stone, but in a no-trade settlement it has to be done.

By the way, I had a gatherer die from falling off a ladder the other day. What's up with that? What was that gatherer doing on a ladder?

salamander

Maybe gathering shelf fungus from high in a tree?  ;)

A Nonny Moose

Quote from: rkelly17 on September 27, 2014, 07:12:45 AM
By the way, I had a gatherer die from falling off a ladder the other day. What's up with that? What was that gatherer doing on a ladder?

Fixing the thatch on the hut.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

irrelevant

Still have not begun building, still scarfing surface stone. That's about to end here though.

What are the mechanics of getting the stone from the quarry into storage? So the quarrymen move the stone to storage, or do they plop it down just outside the way tailors and blacksmiths do, and laborers come along and store it?

Just wondering how far from the quarry I can put storage. If the quarrymen do the storing, I need to put it right there. But if it's laborers, I can site it much further away.

RedKetchup

yeah laborers need to pick them up, and if you are really in need to can double click on each stone resource to prioritize the picking up.

slink

Quarries and mines put it in their workplace.  I found mining for stone to be slow compared to the speed with which I gulped it down.

rkelly17

Quote from: irrelevant on September 29, 2014, 04:16:47 PM
Still have not begun building, still scarfing surface stone. That's about to end here though.

What are the mechanics of getting the stone from the quarry into storage? So the quarrymen move the stone to storage, or do they plop it down just outside the way tailors and blacksmiths do, and laborers come along and store it?

Just wondering how far from the quarry I can put storage. If the quarrymen do the storing, I need to put it right there. But if it's laborers, I can site it much further away.

The answer to the question is, "Yes." I have seen both, but mostly the stonecutters just pile it up and wait for laborers. Having a storage yard close is good in either case.