News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Mahnogard - Burleysbury (and whatever comes next)

Started by Mahnogard, October 09, 2014, 02:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mahnogard

I've had Neckcen's Map Generator (https://github.com/neckcen/banished-map) installed for two weeks now and haven't had any issues. (Clicking the "Download" link down in the Readme section of that page will take you to the most recent .pkm file for download.)

I haven't tried out all the map types, but I've loaded some different sizes / types with no crashes, and all the towns I've actually played for a while have been fine. Of course, with mods, you never know - some people may have issues when others don't, etc.

Mahnogard

Just wanted to post an update to say that I haven't quite playing Winfields, but I'm currently working on an umodded game because I realized I still have achievements to get! So I'm working on a surprisingly boring Mountain Man town. Right now there isn't much going on there except waiting for some kids to grow up and gradually expanding my food operations. I'll post a pic if I don't fail. :D

In Winfields, I'm toying with the idea of causing a small boom just for the sake of expanding out a bit without having to do it over a longish period. I've got loads of couples that would love to have houses, but we all know the problems that can cause down the road.

I haven't done anything else with Hell for now, I was waiting for Slink to release the Snug Houses update (which she now has) so I will probably start that map over with those houses, since I was only a few years in anyway. I'll probably do that after I get my MM map done.

Mahnogard

Oddly, the Mountain Man map was going well enough that it was downright boring. The save is there, waiting for me to get back to it, but I passed 50 pop about 6 years ago, and I have a yearly food surplus that should get me through another 20-25 pop in growth. I'm just maintaining pop as much as possible, only building a house when the number of families exceeds "single elders" by two or three, so growth is nice and slow. The two foresters are giving me enough logs for firewood for the time being, I've got one mine with just enough people to keep the smith making tools, and my two hunting lodges keep me in meat and leather for coats. I've even got a few people working in a quarry for my minimal stone needs. Everything is fairly compact so no one gets cold or hungry, they don't have that far to go.

I'll admit - I got lucky and ended up with beans and corn as my crops. You can't ask for better than beans in a harsh climate. Also have peaches. Since my few farms are over a bridge, every second or third winter, I mark the barns over there for destruction to get more of the stuff moved into the main part of town, then reclaim them when most of the stuff has been moved out. That's working even better than I anticipated.

But it got me thinking - though it wouldn't be of use in an achievement game, obviously - I would love a mod that gave a vendor profession without an associated building, just to have the barns get diversified the way vendors do. I'm about to start a modded map (because I can't wait any longer to use RedKetchup's new houses!!!!!!) and I'm trying out Elfectutioner's Smaller Vendor Buildings so for me, that's a compromise. Planning around markets has started to feel stale for me, so I'm trying something different, but the barns still get some inventory love.

I pretty much quit playing Winfields because I sort of got tired of the market-based expansion pattern. So let's see how it goes with General Stores and Farm Stalls.

Mahnogard

So I've noticed a few things in my current town I hadn't noticed before.

1) Ale production doesn't get counted properly. Others probably already know this, but I've been making ale to use for trade later on (trying to wean myself off of seedlings, as I got far too attached to them in my recent towns :D) and the numbers make no sense. Screenshot attached shows I have more in the TP than the Town Hall thinks I've ever produced.

2) You don't have to build a market to get Nomads. You just need the building footprint laid down. I have the TP and TH, but I only placed a market because I'm not sure I'm going to build one yet. (I'm using Elfectutioner's smaller vendor buildings, which do not meet the market requirement for Nomands.)

Nilla

?
I have noticed before, that the young generation cannot count. ;)

270 ale the last 10 years, 100 this year = 370
335 in the tradingport
335<370
Somewhere 35 is carrying around or still in the brewery

???

Mahnogard

Ha! I just looked at the calculations I wrote down. For some reason I was seeing this year's production as "10" (the number for clothes) instead of 100. So I was looking at 280 instead of 370. :D Oops! Thank you for the correction.

Mahnogard

Spots on the cows and white feathers on chickens,
Bannies in coats so warm, they don't need mittens,
Slink's skating hogs that the trader boat brings,
These are a few of my favorite things!

Orchards packed tightly for bounties at harvest,
Pastures so expansive, now they're the largest,
Llamas bob heads as though they're on springs,

RedKetchup's houses all lined up so neatly,
Colorful rooftops make Bannies smile sweetly,
Fields are now tilled and I can't help but sing,

When the bees give honey to me,
Best Bannies ever had...
I look around at my favorite things,
And being Banished don't feel so bad!

(I'm in a silly mood tonight.)

irrelevant

Mahnogard

You are very welcome. Always happy to make someone smile! :) Sleep well.

Nilla

And as I am in Europe, I am happy for a smile in the morning. :)