News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Longevity of Banished

Started by snapster, October 13, 2014, 07:34:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snapster

Quote from: Pangaea on October 13, 2014, 10:08:48 AMThe game isn't for everybody.

Out of curiosity, is this why some of you play it?

What is a learned town in Banished?

salamander

Just my perspective, of course, but I think @snapster may just be one of those folks who posts on forums for effect -- not interested in discussion, doesn't respect others' opinions, just wants to raise hackles.

Just sayin' ...

Pangaea

Unfortunately it looks like you're correct. We have these creatures in old Norwegian folk tales too.

snapster

I've yet to encounter a particularly intelligent troll hunter. What is a learned town in Banished? I might just have more passion for the game than some of you "smart" losers playing it.

salamander

Quote from: snapster on October 13, 2014, 10:21:04 AM
What is a learned town in Banished?

You tell us ... you brought it up.  I'm assuming you mean a population that is mostly/completely educated (by schools in the vanilla version of the game).  There are advantages to educating your population in the game, especially in terms of productivity for certain occupations.  These advantages are something to work toward.

snapster

I haven't played the game, genius, hence why I'm asking.

Quote from: salamander on October 13, 2014, 10:26:34 AMI'm assuming you mean a population that is mostly/completely educated (by schools in the vanilla version of the game).  There are advantages to educating your population in the game, especially in terms of productivity for certain occupations.  These advantages are something to work toward.

Is this achievable without focusing on education, say just by developing a "regular" town? Does it open further possibilities? What does increased productivity lead to?

Pangaea

You haven't played the game yet, and are here hellbent on criticising its alleged simplicity? Awesome. Maybe try it then? We keep telling you towns can be built in many ways.

In other (sad) news, it doesn't appear possible to ignore users on this forum. Back to the old way then.

snapster

No, dummy, I'm trying to determine whether I should invest my time and money in it, perhaps help it along the way. Should be quite clear, actually, were you not too busy hunting for trolls. Pray, do tell, what else do you do, troll hunter? Are you a jack of all trades or have you not graduated your simple mind to it yet? Posters like you are quite good at polluting forums with tripe.

Quote from: snapster on October 13, 2014, 10:30:18 AM
Quote from: salamander on October 13, 2014, 10:26:34 AMI'm assuming you mean a population that is mostly/completely educated (by schools in the vanilla version of the game).  There are advantages to educating your population in the game, especially in terms of productivity for certain occupations.  These advantages are something to work toward.

Is this achievable without focusing on education, say just by developing a "regular" town? Does it open further possibilities? What does increased productivity lead to?

snapster

Let's jump ahead a little bit. If a learned town in Banished is a town that is "mostly or completely educated", the context implying a simple "mechanic", which is not very difficult to achieve without specialization, mostly leading to marginal improvements in productivity in terms of opening the game or some path or branch of the game, then... come on, people, does this sound like what a learned town should be? Somewhere therein lies the difference between shallow and deep. Nothing to do with subjectivity or your dislike of the government.

irrelevant

In your terms, the game is indeed shallow. Pretty sure it would fail to hold your interest.

snapster

Then there's what's the point? What's the challenge? Will the challenge of a learned town be to not succumb to fires, tornadoes, cold, and hunger? The point would be just to see universities go up and professors strutting up and down the streets of your towns?

Quote from: irrelevant on October 13, 2014, 11:12:26 AM
In your terms, the game is indeed shallow. Pretty sure it would fail to hold your interest.

Well, can it be made deeper? Mods? Would the developer be interested in continuing?

I might actually suck at what you people do, but regardless, not like this stuff doesn't amount to an improvement of the game. Seems to accommodate everyone.

irrelevant

Four or five different people wrote replies on the first page that explained where they found the challenge. Clearly that sort of thing isn't for you. You are not likely to persuade anyone here to stop playing, and there's probably no one here who would care to try to persuade you.

There are no professors strutting anywhere in this game; they're either in their school, or taking food and firewood to their house, or maybe idling in a cemetery; this isn't the Sims.

snapster

I couldn't care less whether you stop playing. You're so petty you even found a way to disparage what would undoubtedly be an improvement. This thread is actually constructive. Behold, peasants!

It's disgusting how pathetic some of you are. And you even dare to claim the higher ground, with ease too.

irrelevant

The developer has released a mod package that allows modders to make some additions. There will never be multiplayer. You cannot change AI behavior. The possible mods are limited. If the basic game does not interest you there is no way to mod it sufficiently to make it to your taste.

irrelevant

At least I'm replying without going out of my way to be insulting.