News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - Misty Meadow - Story 37

Started by Abandoned, January 31, 2019, 09:51:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

Intro

This is the 37th story in the Smallville series and it tells the tale of a group of weary travelers who were turned away from Smallville because of food and housing shortages.  They came from the heat and drought in the south and they heard there were tornadoes reported in the east, so they went north where they were also turned away from Lakeland.  They traveled on to Pumpkin Hollow where they were given the option to stay or go.  They heard there were meadowlands to the east so they chose to go.  This group founded the town of Misty Meadow in approximately year 50 SVT.

Map is # 213132257    Plains,  Small,  Harsh, Disasters On, Wildlife Start E6 deer, grouse, boar, grass

Mods enabled and load order:

Starting and Map Changing Mods:  Call of Nature Soundtrack, Banished UI Maps, Labor Window, RK Minimized Status, CC light Rain, New Flora Edit, Plain (Jose Rios), Wildlife Starts (see note*)

Tweak Mods:   Better Fields, Bigger Wheelbarrows, Fishing Dock 25%, Hunting Season, Increased CC,  Longer Living Orchards, 1:1 Alternative, Rock Respawn

Major or Must Have Mods:   An Empty Square,  Nomad Sign Complete, Kid GrowHuntFish (testing), Kid Old Town, Kid Tiny, Kid Tiny Builder (testing) Kid Workplace Village, Storage Crates v1,  NMT 3 Series Clay Chain, MNT3 Series MultiFloors, RK Stone Walls Kit 1,

Supporting Mods:  EB Natural Irrigation Deco Addon, Fenceless Pasture, Firewood Storage, Garden Walls, Garden Walls Utility Patch (testing), Garden Walls Utility, Greenhouse, Kid Abbey,  Kid Mist, Kid New Well, RK Carts, RK Pigs as Livestock (with fertilizer)

Important Note *  This story contains 4 new mods +1 patch, some still being tested, 2 mods being released now:

Kid Mist - is deco mist separate from Fairy Tale

Wildlife Starts - created by @kid1293 contains tany's grouse, CC bison, RK wild animals, and grass. The grass (thatch) is different than RK's and will conflict with RKEC which already has wild animal. This mod was created for those who do not or can not use RKEC.  Do not use this mod with RKEC.  Thanks @RedKetchup for sharing the animals.

So, weary traveler, welcome to Misty Meadow.  My name is Cierrat and my husband is Camerichael, Cam for short. You will soon meet the other five founding families and their children.  There were 21 of us, 12 adults with 9 children.  Cam and I were the oldest so we were put in charge of the group and then our town. We came here from Pumpkin Hollow.  I'd be happy to tell you all about Misty Meadow from the very beginning.

kid1293

Hi. Here is promised Wildlife Starts. A collection of start conditions with animals and some grass. Thanks RK! :)
Nothing else is changed. I have added some buttons to collect things. I am sorry if you get double buttons.

E6 = Easy 6 families
M5 = Medium 5 families
H3 = Hard 3 families

kid1293

Deco Mist

Hi. I try to be ahead of requests and wishes. I place this little mod plus source code here.
It is an adaption of the Crop Disease, colored white and smaller. Placed on an invisible square.
The square is maybe hard to find. You must click it to remove the mist.
One small and one a little larger mist on my toolbar under Deco.

brads3

wow,how do you rate?? i have tried to do something similar to the wildlife start for 2 years. LOL wheni get done with the RK tests ,i will have to test this mod with the RK. i am thinking the RK will add to it. i will add it to my testing list. someday i hope to play a normal game again..... before summer,i hope.

Abandoned

:) @brads3 Those animal are so cool and you know how I like to pick and chose mods.  RKEC has all RK wild animal on every map, Kid's bison are different - CC's and the grass is different also.  RK fodder farmer will not work, only gathers thatch and the flowers are not gatherable so florist will not work either. RKEC already has it all.  :)

brads3

yes and no, i might be able to get the thatch to work as fodder in the stable barn.the RK doesn't have grouse. i already can have wild animals with KID's bison. i have lots of work before i try adding mods to the RK though.RED added some surprises and adjusted a lot.

Abandoned

Chapter 1

Our town began the same as most other towns with the basic necessities of housing and food.  The folks at Pumpkin Hollow gave us 2 carts of supplies and a herd of sheep.  We did not have far to go.  We followed the small stream east of the Hollow and make several rafts from downed branches to cross the river when we came to it.  The early spring thaw had not begun so the river current was slow and the water level low. The cold wind from the north caused small pockets of mist to rise from the sun warmed ground especially along the river.  The water was warmer than the air. 

There were more trees on this side of the river that we would need for building houses and heating them.  There was a large dead tree down and extending into the river, a good place to fish from.   We soon had a cluster of houses and a pasture cleared for the sheep and a 9x12 field plowed and planted with wheat.  By early autumn we had a smith making iron tools and a tailor making warm coats from leather and wool or down.  Germann, who would become forester, and Edmundo, the woodcutter, both agreed that the hardwood trees wood be best cut for firewood and the pines for building.  We soon had a beautiful knotty pine town hall, 2 small sheds, and the beginnings of a hostel.  We were told when we left Pumpkin Hollow to expect migrants since many folks were leaving their farms here in the north because of the climate change.  We put a welcome sign in front of the town hall.

Our small meadow was beautiful with golden meadow grass but our golden grains of wheat were a disappointment, only 372 units were harvested.  We collected branches for firewood and wild foods and herbs.  Had it not been for Soccoris, our hunter, we would have been very hungry that first winter.  He got a bear which was rare for this area but there was plenty of deer, grouse, and wild boar.  We had not seen any but were not happy to hear there were wild boar in this area.  We heard grizzly tales back in Pumpkin Hollow about Stevieve the hunter who was trampled by a wild boar.

Abandoned

Chapter 2

By early spring of year 2 our population had grown by 5 newborns, our first son, Eugenerald, included.  Fishing, hunting, and gathering were good, but we worried about our ability to provide food for a growing population.  We needed another means of getting food should the need arise.  We began building a trading post.  As the early spring temperature began to rise, so did more mist.  More meadow grass appeared where trees had been cut and beautiful wild flowers began to bloom.  The misty meadow across the river was more beautiful every time I looked at it. 

I was gazing across the river one spring day when in the distance I saw a small group of people heading south.  I called out to them but they didn't hear.  The river was high and swift, they would not be able to cross as we had.  Building a bridge became top priority and another builder was assigned to help.  We only hoped we would be in time.  All 15 of them made it safely to town.  They were in remarkably good condition, they must have known a lot about survival.  They would only say they came from someplace north of here.  Cam thought perhaps they were wood elves.

Top priority now was building more housing.  It was indeed nice to have more help to gather branches and wild foods.  One of the gatherers spotted a wild boar by the small lake.  From now on the children would have to be watched more carefully, the river was not the only danger now.  Another danger presented itself as the summer sun and north wind dried and rustled through the wild grasses and ripening wheat crop, we fear there might be fires.  A water pump was build by the main storage barn and a water pond by the town hall and housing units.  The newcomers living there said we might want to reduce the risk even more by cleaning up all the dry plant debris littering the vacant crop field.

Again the newcomers were quite knowledgeable and instructed us on how to build cleaning sheds. One shed was built to clean up wasted food and animal droppings from the sheep pasture and another shed was built by the wheat field to clean up plant debris.  Next they instructed us on the building of a compost bin where both the animal fertilizer and plant debris could be turned into enriched compost to return to and improve the earth.  They told us we could add other surplus items we had no other use for to the compost bin:  mushrooms, roots, thatch, flax, down, feathers, and even fish.  They told us to turn the pile often and the compost would be rich and odor free.

Abandoned

Chapter 3

One of the newcomers found a mother tree in the forest to the north that could be used by our forester.  Another advised us on building a greenhouse for seedlings as places downriver that were devastated by tornadoes were in need of seedlings for reforesting.  We had seen such a greenhouse in Smallville, Lakeland, and Pumpkin Hollow and heard of the need for seedlings.  We constructed the greenhouse next to the trading post, assigned a worker to act as botanist,  and by early spring of year 3 we already had seedlings sprouting.

The newcomers also told us that we could use our compost in a greenhouse to grow food year round in the enriched soil.  Our head builder soon had a new greenhouse designed and built next to the compost bin.  The newcomers had an assortment of seeds we could grow but we had a few potatoes left that were already sprouting so we used those.   We could always build more greenhouses to grow the other foods: beans, berries, carrots, corn, oats, peppers, pumpkins, squash, or tomatoes.

As our town grew in this harsh climate it was good to have a reliable source of food year round. Counting the newcomers and newborns, our baby girl Berylee included, our population was 46.  Before we knew it 2 of the young children had grown and reached school age and we had no school.  When we realized our mistake we began building a school immediately.

Our compost bin soon used up the fertilizer we had cleaned up but we had plenty of plant debris on the stockpile that could be composted.  There was also thatch that the forester had collected.  Since the wind, the sun, and the cold quickly aged the fertilizer laying in the pasture, it was safe to use directly in a greenhouse without composting first.  There would be little danger of it burning the roots of newly sprouted plants.  We would water it well in the greenhouse that was built not far from the pasture and fertilizer.  We would grow more potatoes.

By autumn a tiny fishing pier was built on the small lake.  Not far from there a medium size barn was built before the end of year 3.

kid1293

;D Did I really do this many yellow houses? It looks ...rather nice, if I may say so.
You have many bright ideas, @Abandoned :)

Abandoned

:)  I liked that Happy Haven texture as soon as you made it in Houses for Sale long ago, the wood is a bit different than the brick was but it is just as nice.  I am Happy to have so much more of it now  :)

Abandoned

Chapter 4

Year 4 began with a cold wet spring.  It was raining and only 43F degrees when Newelly, the General Goods Merchant returned.  He had stopped by briefly the previous spring with stone tools and chestnut seeds.  He said there were not many riverboat traders that would come this way and he probably would not have much to offer but he would try to fill special orders and would except our seedlings in trade.  This spring Newelly had 12 pigs with him.  We'd eaten pork back in Pumpkin Hollow and found it to be quite tasty.  Our hunter had yet to kill a boar, we decided we wanted some pigs.

We used almost all of our trade goods for four of the pigs, so imagine our dismay when the riverboat had only just left our dock when one of the pigs jumped into the water and swam across the river.  Two others soon followed and then the fourth and last one did the same.  It was only a few days later that 11 migrants came from Pumpkin Hollow traveling along the same creek we had when we came here.  They saw our pigs there along the creek with a large group of wild boar.  We built a pasture for the pigs but with the presence of the wild boar we thought it too dangerous to go after our pigs.  Our concern now was building housing for our new families.

By summer the pigs made their way to the pasture on their own.  Newcomer Gradyn, the herdsman, put out wheat and wild oats to lure them there.  His wife Aleighton took over the job saying the poor things needed some special attention after their ordeal in the wild, and she would clean the pasture herself.

brads3

hahaha,looks like your pigs behave as well as the bannies do.

Abandoned

:)  @brads3 I admit it is rather funny but seriously there is a problem and Kid and I have been struggling trying to find the cause.  I am going to post more on the problem under Workplace Village thread and will add link here later. 

http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=2730.msg57920#msg57920

Gatherer

I see only one solution to the pig problem. Sausages. :P
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.