News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

rkelly17 - Jeddie Valley: Return to Banished

Started by rkelly17, June 10, 2018, 10:31:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkelly17

It is now Summer of Year 16 in the Jeddie Valley.

All of the new building is in the growing village north of the river. All four of the planned farms were finished in time to plant crops last year and are in full production this year--well, not exactly full. The pear orchards are still growing and the farmers are eagerly awaiting their first harvests. Since a merchant in Year 14 brought oat seeds there are now two fields of oats, one here and one south of the river, to supplement corn in the grain diet. The village hall was finished as was a new cemetery. New tailor, blacksmith and wood chopper fill the needs of this village we are calling Northriver. The original village is now called Riverside. We are a bit literalistic.

The new cemetery was built because, beginning in year 12, many of the original settlers began dying of old age. Only a very few of the original settlers are left, and those came here as very young children. Even a few of the first children who were born here have died of old age, though most of that generation is still working. This milestone in the life of the settlement has meant that the building of houses slowed down for several years. We have some of our pioneers living alone as widows and widowers. Some of the original cabins are now inhabited by younger couples. In the stats pictures below you can see the flat line of population. This is part of the reason it took several years to finish all of the farm houses; we just didn't have anyone to move into a new house. In the past year the need for houses has picked up again and three very nice houses were finished on the square.

The most momentous event of the last four years happened just this Spring. Joannlisha the Planter arrived at our trading post with grapes to trade! It took a big stash of firewood and some soybeans, but we were able to buy the grapes. We build a nice two-story set of houses with a wine colored roof for our vinedressers to live in and planted vineyards. You can see them north of the village square. We will build another two-story house north of the barn when we have people to occupy the two dwellings and we have laid out a winery and tavern to be built when the vines mature. This will give us something which we can trade for stone, iron, and other building supplies, not to mention a bit to drink after a hard day's work.

In the next four years we look forward to our first grape harvest and our first bottles of wine, as well as a new trading post to trade the wine for what we need. We are still hoping for a trader with sheep to trade, but for now we wear our hide coats to protect us from the Winter cold. As you can see from the Village Hall statistics, we are harvesting a large surplus of food and the levels of other necessities is quite good for our population.

The first picture is an overview of Northriver.

The settlement is still small enough that the whole community can be seen in one picture, if the picture is taken from East or West. This is from the West and North is to the left.

And now the stats:

If you compare the previous stats pictures you can see the difference that grain makes. With no grain Jeddie was at 3 1/2 hearts. Once corn was harvested that started going up until it hit five between Year 12 and Year 16. I love a map seed that gives a grain seed to start! All the other necessary food groups can be obtained by hunting and gathering, but grains can be an issue.

See you in four years.

Nilla

A good wine! Nice! You spoil your people! ;)

I use to use that period, when the first generation starts to die of old age, to upgrade houses. It always pays off to get rid of old vanilla houses and when the population doesn't even grow, it doesn't hurt.

rkelly17

Quote from: Nilla on June 14, 2018, 01:28:25 PM
A good wine! Nice! You spoil your people! ;)

I use to use that period, when the first generation starts to die of old age, to upgrade houses. It always pays off to get rid of old vanilla houses and when the population doesn't even grow, it doesn't hurt.

I don't spoil them too much--I trade most of it away. I got started trading booze for stone and iron way back in premodding days. I got tired of played out mines and quarries marring the landscape. The problem was at that time to make it work you had to line the river with many, many trading posts because you really only needed the one merchant, but all the others kept coming, too. Traffic jams on the river were common. In those odd maps where the merchants left the dock and went back almost to the map entrance before turning around and going to the exit it was pretty wild with boats going both directions. Now with specialized trading posts I can get what I need with two agricultural and two building supplies specialized traders. Once the alcohol production really gets rolling I have enough to buy the various items unique to CC that you need to build various buildings. You have to love trade.

I go back and forth about upgrading the original houses, some towns I do and some I don't. The reasons for upgrading everyone knows. The reasons for not are idiosyncratic to me, the main reason being to keep the old, kind of decrepit look for the oldest part of the valley. It is more aesthetics than efficiency. But I might do it yet. We'll see.

rkelly17

Summer of Year 20 in the Jeddie Valley

Since Year 16 growth has been steady. The citizens liked the two story houses so much that they built several more on the Northriver market square. The vineyards matured and now grapes are harvested every fall. As the first harvest was brought in, a winery was built. While most of the wine will be traded for building supplies, we would still like to have a glass to share, so we also built a tavern on the Northriver square.

When the first vintage was ready to drink we built a new trading post along the river front. We now have two agricultural trading posts trading firewood for whatever seeds and animals we need (still no sheep!) and the new building supplies trading post to trade wine for stone, iron and whatever else we might need. If we can produce enough wine we we will build a second building supplies trading post. Or, if we can trade for barley and hops, maybe we will build a brewery and trade beer.

The population is up to 151, but we have been chronically short of labor. There are rumors that, if your settlement is attractive enough, nomads will come out of the mountains and ask to join the settlement. This is just what we need, but we have also heard rumors that these nomads, because of their hard lives in the wilderness, are not healthy and bring disease into the community. To prepare we built a small hospital and a house for the physician. These were built to the North of Northriver with the doctor's house just inside the northern edge of the market circle.

We also started running short of logs. We dealt with this by clear-cutting the land between Northriver market and the river. We recognized that this is not a long-term solution, so we decided to start another forest village. This will include a gathers' hut, hunters' lodge and foresters' post, but instead of a woodcutter we will build a herbalist's workshop. The herbalist will support the work of the physician. In this Summer of Year 20 we are in the midst of building up this new village. We will also build a school and house for a teacher in the space between the two forest villages so that no one has to walk too far to school.

Here are the stats:

At this point reports from the Jeddie Valley will be coming every 10 years as opposed to every 4 years. Thank you for reading.

galensgranny

What is that house in the corner of two rows of Red's two story colorful houses in the first picture?  It has white on the "attic" level with woodwork design.

rkelly17

Quote from: galensgranny on June 17, 2018, 09:06:57 PM
What is that house in the corner of two rows of Red's two story colorful houses in the first picture?  It has white on the "attic" level with woodwork design.

That is the smallest tavern in CC. I built it because (a) I'm going to trade away most of the wine, and (b) it requires only the most basic building materials. Besides it kind of fits a little village. It also goes with Red's fachwerk (sorry, I only ever learned the German name--anybody know the English?) houses.

LadyMarmalade

I think we call them timber-framed houses in english.
I am not a Gamer because I don't have a life but because I choose to have many.

galensgranny

Thanks, rkelly.  I was able to get CC Journey to load on my computer, even though it takes a long time, so now I have that nice looking small tavern.  I thought it might be a house, and would like it for a house too.
It does look good with Red's two story colorful houses with the Fachwerk.  I like that word, Fachwerk.  In English, that design is close to what LadyMarmalade said, but instead of timber frame, that design work itself is called "half- timbered".  It is from a timber frame house, though. 

RedKetchup

i calculated, my PC fully load RK ED in 112 secondes (without alt tabbing which is : count to 5 and it is already up)
i dunno about journey though
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

rkelly17

Summer Year 30

It is now game year 30 in the Jeddie Valley. There is much to tell and show about the progress of the valley in the past ten years. We began the decade by laying out a new village for farms and other agriculture East of the original village. We call this village Farmington. It includes a market, school, small chapel, blacksmith, tailor and several houses. The farms are in the Northeast quadrant of the market circle. This particular market sits over a crossroads. In the picture you can see most of the village, including a corner of the new chicken pasture at the far left. Just out of the picture to the left is a sheep pasture. Because of judicious seed purchases we now have two grains and four vegetables, along with pears and grapes.

Early in the decade we built a second winery because the grape harvest was so prolific. Using wine to trade was so successful that we planted more vineyards and opened a third, more up-to-date winery. The plan is that the new winery will increase the quality of our wines--even though all the traders tell us that 8 trade units is all they will pay for wine, no matter how good it is. We also built two new two-story dwellings for the vineyard and winery workers.

We decided that we wanted more variety in our diet. Some of the citizens suggested that we focus on the river as a source of good food and increased variety. We built a fishing dock, two pools for shell fish and a hut for frog-legs. We also built houses and barns and a small market to serve the needs of the citizens. This section of the riverfront is now very prolific and adding to our food production.

In order to increase both our food production and production of wool and leather for warm coats we added two pastures in the area between Northriver and the hospital. The pig herd and one sheep herd were split. For the moment production of leather and pork has ended, but it will come back soon. There is sufficient supply of each that we will not run out in the meantime. Mutton production is down (there is a third sheep herd that is at capacity and produces mutton), but wool production is already up.

Along the way we had acquired the seed of a strange plant called "agave." When we planted a seed, a strange, spiny plant grew. We had no idea what to do with it. When we accepted a new group of nomads into the settlement, some had wandered from a far away land called "Mexico." They were extremely happy to see our little spiny plant and told us of a wondrous spirit called "Tequila" that could be made from it. Some among them had the skills necessary to produce this drink, so we set up a village with plantations and the buildings necessary for production. Merchants tell us that the liquor, being very rare in these parts, is worth even more than wine in trade. These former nomads also built a church in their accustomed style and call their village San Buenaventura. In this Summer of year 30 we are awaiting the first agave harvest and the first bottles of tequila. The bartender at the tequila bar tells us that if we could find a supply of limes and salt, he could make something called a "Margarita." We may have to investigate.

Stats:

You can see that food consumption has run just a bit ahead of food production, so in the next few years this will have to be fixed. The likely solution is new farms, though as the new pastures begin producing meat that will help. Tools and coats are good. A small smelter produces iron from our huge store of iron ore and furnace fuel purchased with wine. Stone is collected and purchased with wine. We are doing well with logs and firewood. The textiles number is up because the produce of "plantation" fields counts as textiles and I am growing agave on plantation fields. I really need to go through and adjust maximums.

Gatherer

Nice looking settlements. I especially like the San Buenaventura village with those neatly placed stone houses.
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

rkelly17

Quote from: Gatherer on June 20, 2018, 09:01:13 AM
Nice looking settlements. I especially like the San Buenaventura village with those neatly placed stone houses.

Yes, they are very nice. I really like what kid did with the mission. The church itself is a very good rendition of Mission San Buenaventura in Ventura, California. If you are ever driving North from LA on Hiway 101 you can stop and visit--or, if you are quick, there is one spot you can see it from the freeway. Though it doesn't exist in Banished, the original California missions and their buildings were built from adobe clay bricks. Kid got the look right. I purposely didn't build them mission-style, in a quadrangle with the church forming one side, but that would be the normal arrangement. Some of the later missions were linear. Many of the quadrangles are a bit off square because the padres measured by pacing off the lengths. Other than the squares, kid's mod allows one to build a very realistic looking mission complex--except for the green grass, trees and the water in the river.

kid1293

:)

Thanks! I took a good look at pictures to make the mission.
Some things are invented but the overall feeling is that you have
those equally squared distances.

There is a place I would like to visit. Now that I feel close to it, I mean.

rkelly17

Quote from: kid1293 on June 20, 2018, 01:20:25 PM
There is a place I would like to visit. Now that I feel close to it, I mean.

You should go. Ventura is an hour or hour and a half north of LA and just south of Santa Barbara. You will know the mission church immediately since your model looks just like it. Like many of the California missions that continued to be used it was "modernized" in the Victorian era and the adobe/stone was covered in wood. In the 1930s most of them got returned to original looks, including Ventura.

kid1293

I read about it. School and many other buildings were removed and a new school built. Is it still there?
The mission was originally a huge area. Nothing much surrounded it. Farm and cattle fields.
I am very grateful for finding this jewel!