News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Mod manager

Started by JM, September 16, 2018, 05:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JM

Version 0.4

Added search for text in item names. I have been tired of looking for a mod that is definitely in the list, but I do not remember where I moved it.

Type anything in the main window and the items containing the text are highlighted.
BackSpace cancels the last typed character, Esc all the text.

kid1293

Strange. I don't get the search box. Did you upload new version?

kid1293

It works. It works fine, thank you.

No complaints, I'm happy. :)

JM

I apologize very much, the image shows version 0.3a, I saved it before I overwritten the version number in the program.  :-[

There is no CtrlF to activate the search. Once you start typing something in the main window, the box appears. After Esc or after deleting the last character the box disappears.

zak4862

How did you manage to work it out? I also dont have "search box".

Sorry! I see your post. Thanks.  :)

embx61

Just start typing in the Interface and the search box appears
[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

RedKetchup

Thanks you ALOT ! JM !!!
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

JM

I thought I'd add the ability to add my own comments on mods. Comments would be saved in ModNotes.ini or somewhere else.

I do not like to guess what a mod is from a short file name.
What is 'unlimited'?  :-\  (= unlimited vanilla mines and quarries)

For example, I would write 'this mod must be above XYZ and does not work with ABC'. As time goes by, I forget such details. Or to some modpack that contains a bakery I would write 'remember to disable standalone xxBakery.pkm'.

==================

But first of all I would like to get the original text from pkm, including the title, author and version.

Does the mod kit contain a description of the pkm file structure? Unfortunately, I can not run it, it does not work on WinXP. Gooooogle does not know anything about it.

I'm trying to get a description of the mod from its pkm, but the text in the file is garbled, maybe compressed.

For example, NewDebug.pkm:
In-game mod manager says 'This mod adds the Debug Utility window to your game'.
Inside the file is 'This mode adds the' #E0 #06 #3C #15 'to your game'.
Maybe it's a link to another location in the file. The 'Debug Utility' text already exists in the file, but I have not yet figured out how it works.

embx61

I am afraid this will not be possible without knowing the structure of the PKM file and a program to extract those.
I think it is Luke's own compression/packing structure.

We modders use the Package.rsc file to set the Author, description, version, and stuff.

PackageFile EBStatueCristoRedentor
{
String _name = "EB Statue Cristo Redentor";
String _author = "embx61";
String _description = "The Statue of the Cristo Redentor give some spirit happiness with a radius of 100.";
String _icon = "icon.png";
int _userVersion = 17001;

// all files in resource directory
String _includeList
[
"*"
]

// exclude package files, mod files, file used for building packages
String _excludeList
[
"Package_*.crs"
"*.pkg"
"*.pkm"
]
}
[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

Tom Sawyer

I had a similar thought but did not ask for it.. to try to read out some info from pkm files to show in ModMan (title, description, author and icon). But I think it's too difficult to get it from the compiled files without knowledge about the data structure. I loaded one in a hex editor and I doubt we can manage this. Would be easier to maintain a small database with icons and infos to use in this tool. At least for important mods.

RedKetchup

the thing is Luke use a custom data compressing utility. you would probably need to decrypt/uncompress first.
when i say "custom" not probably of his own but probably what he could find on internet / company he worked for / programmer teams he is member of.

JM

What does a Steam user see when downloading a mod? Does he know the file name? If so, it was best for everyone to describe it himself. When I get a mod from worldofbanished or from anywhere, usually there is a description. I suppose there is some description on Steam as well. So copy the description and paste it into ModMan, and finito. The length of the description may be unlimited. Well, let's say we'll limit it to 5000 characters or so.

==========================

It can be easy. I can add a window to edit these texts. Accompanying texts could be in ini file. Each mod can have its own ini file, or all mods can be together in one file. In the second case, I will add some function to merge a file from another user.

Then someone  :D can make a database of descriptions and publish it.

But copying a description database from another user is tricky.
How to maintain the integrity of descriptions? There are many versions of mods that have the same file name but different functionality. The old version is compatible with something, and the new one is not. You have a version for 1.0.6, my version is for 1.0.7.
Something like a central database would have similar disadvantages.

[NewDebug]
Title = New debug utility for 1.0.7
Author = RK
Description: This adds the Debug Utility window to your game

[logic]
Title = Smarter bannies
Author = Spock
Desription = This mode makes people less stupid. For example, vendors do not go across the map for one apple when they have a barn full of apples just around the corner.

RedKetchup

a steam user see nothing. he goes to the workshop and browse the mods. Then if he wants it he click subscribe and everything happends hidden.

there is a download progression bar at botton of the client and when complete it says 1/1 complete and you just have to launch the game enable your mod and play.

nobody knows there is an hard drive existing and nobody knows what is a file ^^

JM

Quotenobody knows there is an hard drive existing and nobody knows what is a file
If so, then they can not use ModMan because they would have to download the zip file, save it to the disk, unpack it and make a shortcut on the desktop. So we do not have to pay attention to Steam users. :D

Tom Sawyer

Yes, different versions with same file name would make problems and not always consistent with a database. What about an info file and icon together with the actual mod included in the download zip. Like North.pkm, North.txt and North.png. ModMan could use it if existing or not if not. But would also only working for manual downloads, not for Steam subs. And maybe not worth to pursue this idea anyway.