News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Placing a building with debug menu? Needed for graduate class

Started by seanth, April 10, 2018, 12:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seanth

I use Banished in a graduate class looking at systems modelling. I was hoping I could provide a save game to all the students where the new game begins with a townhall already built so they have access to the graphs on population numbers, resources, etc.

I had _thought_ all I needed was the debug mod, but I couldn't see a way to place buildings. So I build a modkit version of Banished and, again, I see no way to place a built building.

Any help? Am I just way off in thinking that you place buildings in debug mode?

brads3

interesting class. teach them to mod and send them.
       the debug has several functions. i circled the quick placement button that you requested. make sure you close the window and reopen it to make sure it took the click.rememeber  to unclick it before sending bannies to clear land,or the trees and stone will just disappear.
     for other players ,i will point out some handy tools. the seeds and fruits give you all crops without trading. the chicken allows you to have all animals. the sheep puts animals in pastures or increases the amount that is in the pasture. the star makes all items visible to the trading posts and townhall inventory. this key is handy to test and narrow down mod conflicts.and the last key bottom right is to increase populations.

seanth

@brads3 Perfect! Thanks so much. I saw that option but didn't even consider that would allow placement of things immediately.

As for teaching them to mod, the class is less about programming and more about thinking about dynamic systems and models. How they work, and what changes the system dynamics.

I really like Banished for looking at human macroecology. It captures a lot in terms of rate-of-travel and ways of harvesting food. I wish it had spoilage, though.

Again, thx for the quick advice. I might record the student's final projects and throw them up on youtube.

smurphys7

Do you want some simple saved games?  I'm always looking for excuses to play Banished.  I have a bunch of towns already made that may fit what you want or I'd be more than happy to make a specific type of town.  That's open to anyone -- if you want a town made I'm always looking for ideas.

seanth

@smurphys7 : Thanks for the offer, but part of the exercise for the students will be to apply concepts about how social insects divide up tasks based on population size, and how humans use the landscape. The students have to start out from nothing on hard+harsh. Group with the highest population gets the highest grade in various categories:

-Hunter/Gatherer with no roads
-Hunter/Gatherer with roads
-Agriculture with no roads
-Agriculture with roads