News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Smoke Points

Started by Maldrick, December 22, 2018, 07:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maldrick

Been reviewing earlier discussions about smoke points and f-variants and I'm a bit confused about something I'm about to try to do.

If I understand everything correctly, you put all other points besides smoke in its own fbx and you have a separate fbx for each mesh with a smoke point included AND linked to the mesh.  Straightforward enough.

Just wanted to confirm before I go do this....Since the smoke point needs to be attached to something and there can only be one "smoke" point per fbx, even with texture variants you still need a separate fbx for each one?  Like, for example, you have 2 models with 3 texture variants each, that would require 6 separate fbx files?  Or is there a way to have two...one for each mesh with the 3 texture variants within each one?

A completely separate question...How do you have multiple smoke points per mesh?  I'm certain I've seen mods with multiple smoke points on buildings...Pretty sure CC has a few.  How do you do this when blender only allows one point to be named "smoke"?  Think it was mentioned 3ds is the same.

Many thanks in advance if anyone has some insight.  I know this has been discussed before but these details have eluded me.
"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."
― Ezio Auditore da Firenze

RedKetchup

the thing blender cannot handle this. Kid surely has an answer for it, with 3dsmax it can handle thousands of them with the same name.
it usually need to be out of the pointlist and attached direct to the mesh. each variant mesh need its "smoke" attached to each one.

and after, very important, in the particle paragraph, you dont copy the pointlist link, you let it empty.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Maldrick

Excellent, thank you, RK.  So, as a general matter, whenever using different smoke points, have a separate fbx for each variant, even if they are the same mesh.  Check.  Should the points go in their own fbx?...Or maybe do one with build models and points together?

That's very disappointing to hear about multiple smoke points and Blender.  Hoping kid might know something!  Will be after xmas before I get to that part.  Maybe burn a 3dsmax trial if I need to. lol
"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."

RedKetchup

the thing is in your template you put as many different footprint as you have F alternate. then as many different highlight, models, and targeting as you have F alternate. but in your template you cannot point to as many different pointlist you have ! you only have 1 pointlist for all.

whatever it is external or inside your mesh, it is still 1 pointlist link you are allowed.

is there any solution in this: http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=1570.0 ?

Maldrick

Thank you.  Yep I read that earlier.  There was another discussion about it somewhere that I can't find, also.  I just wanted to make sure I understood that correctly and ask my other question about multiple smoke points on one mesh.  Certainly would have opened things up a lot if there were separate full points lists for each variant.

I've been doing a little surfing and, being an interchange format, there are a few programs and utilities around that can be used to edit fbx files.  Might do some experimenting later and see if there's one that can edit points names and will allow multiple instances.  Would love to be able to do that.  Have multiple smoke points on a single mesh, that is.

Discrepancy

yes blender cannot handle the points attached to the meshes and all named the same within a single .fbx.
the wood and stone houses are the only vanilla buildings that do this with each f-key variant chimney in a different spot.

ParticleDescription particle
{
ParticleAttachment _systems
[
{
Time _fadeInOutTime = 2.0;
bool _addOnCreate = false;
bool _addOnNotify = false;
Particle _particle = "ParticleSystems\Fire\FireSmall.rsc";
}
{
Particle _particle = "ParticleSystems\ChimneySmoke\ChimneySmoke.rsc";
String _attachNode = "smoke";
}
]
}

the code above from the WoodHouse.rsc shows that the particle system is not calling up a point list, the line of code is missing, so it instead will find the word 'smoke' within each of the f-key variants. the smoke point is attached directly to the house mesh. blender will rename these to smoke.001, smoke.002 etc if you try to all name 'smoke', so the only way around this is to place each house model in its own .fbx to retain the name 'smoke' and the code to work.

if instead of the code above you had:
ParticleDescription particle
{
PointList _pointList = "Models\DSBlastFurnace\DSSilverFineryFurnacePoints.rsc";
ParticleAttachment _systems
[
{
Time _fadeInOutTime = 2.0;
bool _addOnNotify = false;
Particle _particle = "ParticleSystems\Fire\FireMedium.rsc";
}
{
Particle _particle = "ParticleSystems\DSTSMChimneySmoke.rsc";
String _attachNode = "smoke";
}
{
Particle _particle = "ParticleSystems\DSBlastFurnaceFlame.rsc";
String _attachNode = "flame";
}
]
}

the code will only pull the smoke (or flame or whatever you name it) points from the connected point list, this example 'Models\DSBlastFurnace\DSSilverFineryFurnacePoints.rsc'
- build_002
- build_003
- create_001
- create_002
- use_001
- use_002
- smoke
- flame

this shows adding multiple smoke points is possible by just calling it. if creating f-key variants with different smoke points on same models then just omit the code : 'PointList _pointList = "Models\DSBlastFurnace\DSSilverFineryFurnacePoints.rsc";' and attach a 'smoke1' and 'smoke2' etc straight to the mesh like WoodHouse, the multiple smokes will call up on each .
so each house will display as:
meshHouse1:
- cube (mesh object)
- smoke1
- smoke2

included with one of these .fbx's you need to include the other point list for building usage with your build_ create_ use_ etc points.

Maldrick

Awesome, thank you @Discrepancy .

I've got one other part of the set I'm going to try to get done before Christmas but will be tackling the multiple smoke points on one mesh next week after the holiday.  This definitely puts me in the right direction.  Thank you.  Working this kind of thing out is one of the more interesting parts of modding, I'm finding.

Thanks again. This is fantastic.

Edit:  No sooner do I post and I have to ask...

Forgetting about the complication of f-variants for a moment...In your snippet of template it refers to a custom particle rsc in your mod.  Is that to duplicate smoke or for something else?  I'm not in front of my PC at the moment or I would look, but can't remember offhand what all is happening on the blast furnace.

I ask because I was considering that as a possible workaround to not being able to have identical "smoke" points in blender.  But if the game will recognize "smoke1" and "smoke2" that pretty much takes care of it, no?  I seem to remember in the discussion about this that I can't find, it was mentioned smoke points had to be "smoke" for the game to see them, no numbers, but it was ages ago when I read it so can't remember.

To be clear, I'm just talking about having two regular chimney smokes on one mesh for this.  I do plan to explore the other particle edge to further at some point, though, for sure.

RedKetchup

bah you can use different particles in same mesh.

you can have a regular smoke point which will produce standart smoke.
then you can have a slightly alterated smoke for a smoke more dark, more deeper.... more toxic...
then you can have fires too, from mini fire like the one i did for lamp posts... or a bit bigger and put it in a furnace , a fire like the one i did for the cook pots....

each different one need to be called in the particles paragraph.