Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Instant upgrade issue

Started by ordinart, January 02, 2019, 10:21:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ordinart

Wasn't sure where to state it.
I'm using megamod 8.

I have issue with a building, one room schoolhouse but I guess it could happen with other buildings.
There is some transition state between building and already built, when you have interface of built building but building is still built(there is still jobs for builders). I think I clicked to upgrade to farmers college while on this state and for some time it was showing 100% storage remaining and waiting for empty. But what you can have inside schoolhouse?? So I tried to reclaim and that was a mistake. Now the building is broken. It shows job for teacher(as one room schoolhouse and teacher won't accept jobplace) and shows demolish interface. It's still 100% storage remaining and I cannot reclaim, cancel demolish or demolish again or anything.

What can I do? Or will it be a waste of space for eternity?

Maldrick

Sorry you are having problems.  This is a strange one and have never run into this but I would try the following...

Remove the MOD completely by disabling it, and removing it from the WinData folder. Or, if you got it from Steam, unsubscribe there after disabling it in the mods window in the game main menu.  Do this for all mods you have loaded, actually.

Find your WinData folder.  It will be in your Banished directory wherever you installed it, with the standalone version, or in your common/steamapps/Banished directory if you have the steam version, wherever you have steam installed.  Clear everything out of there except the four game files.  They are called "patch" and "data" with some numbers after them.  They need to stay, but otherwise the folder should be empty.

This step probably isn't necessary but, if you have the steam version of the game, you might run a file check.  Right click Banished in your steam library and select Properties.  Hit the button for Verify Integrity Of Game Files.  It only takes a moment, so worth doing if you want to be thorough.  If you have the standalone version, you could re-install, but that's probably not necessary.

Hold down control and double click the game icon to launch it.  This will bring up the launcher.  In the options menu check "disable all mods"

Start a regular vanilla game. And quit out completely.

Run a registry cleaner on your PC.  I use CC Cleaner but there are many free ones around.  Actually, there's a thread in the suggestions forum for what sounds like another good one that was recently posted.  Whatever you use, just make sure it's from a reputable developer, current, and works with your particular operating system.  Banished apparently does a bit of a number on the system registry, especially with mods, and sometimes remnants of mods will conflict with others over time. So this is the key step.

Launch the game again and start a regular vanilla game.

Reload your mods and start a new game. There is a debug tool included with MegaMod...bring that up and check all of the boxes except "disable building costs" or whatever at the top right.  Try building your school and doing the upgrade. If memory serves, you need some advanced materials so debug will help you streamline getting the buildings built to make them.  Check "disable building costs" to do this if you need to, just be sure it is off when you build the school and do the upgrades.

Hopefully that worked.  If so, load your actual game save and see if it fixed it there, too.

Good luck.  I'm interested in hearing if this fixes it, so keep us posted.

"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."
― Ezio Auditore da Firenze

brads3

this sounds like a bad timing issue not a mod issue. i would go back 1 save before and rebuild it.

Maldrick

"Bad timing issue"?  Never heard of that.

Not suggesting this is a "mod issue."  If it was a problem with MM it likely would have been found before now.  The game does thrash the registry over time, though, especially with mods, and cleaning it seems to fix most weird little bugs like this.
"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."
― Ezio Auditore da Firenze

Freedom

I've had this happen too. Sometimes if the build window is open and I immediately click an upgrade button before the window fully switches from "builders" to "workers" (signalling actual building completion) the "storage remaining" doesn't gets emptied. (As a new building it should have 0% storage, but the immediate upgrade click seems to put the 100% complete into 100% storage remaining.)

Anyways, once this condition occurs workers don't demolish the building for the upgrade. Eventually, after many years, they sometimes get around to the demolition. However, if you reclaim the building, it seems it becomes permanently frozen and you have to live with it taking up space for the rest of the game.

The fix is to avoid the problem. Just wait a couple seconds before doing an upgrade and all is well. 

ordinart

@Maldrick I done that. On playtest it didn't have this transition state so was everything okay there, but only there.
@Freedom So I guess I have to live with the obstacle I guess? Or maybe I should try i.e. Flatten Power Tool? I'm reluctant to use this, 'cause I heard it also have some issues.

Thanks all for replies.