Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Into the Wild

Started by A Nonny Moose, September 07, 2014, 12:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkelly17

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on October 13, 2014, 12:04:45 PM
"Willem from Ochem", said the boy. "My brother, Wilfred is with me."

Hoo hah! It's not every community that gets a famous philosopher--well at least sort of. I think the original was British. Expect great feats of logic from this boy, as well as BS deleting razors.

A Nonny Moose

Quote from: rkelly17 on October 14, 2014, 08:04:21 AM
Quote from: A Nonny Moose on October 13, 2014, 12:04:45 PM
"Willem from Ochem", said the boy. "My brother, Wilfred is with me."

Hoo hah! It's not every community that gets a famous philosopher--well at least sort of. I think the original was British. Expect great feats of logic from this boy, as well as BS deleting razors.

Glad you noticed the reference, but you try to make up names, but when your head is full of good historical names, why waste them.  Note that this kid is a miner, not a minor.  I suspect he'll be a regular IQ of around 100.  The only razor he might face is the one he shaves with, if he shaves.

Noticed any other historical or literary characters?  Think of Cafe Momus and La Boheme.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

rkelly17

You have to figure that anyone whose on-line identity is A Nonny Moose is going to be good with names.

Though I have to admit, ever since I started reading your posts on the Sim City forums some years ago I get visions of moose gamboling through the meadows of Northern Ontario singing "Hey, nonny, nonny" every time.

A Nonny Moose

ROFL.  Have you been to the http://community.simtropolis.com/topic/34008-the-moose-factory-virtual-bar-and-grill-version-3/?  It's virtual location is at Moose Factory, Ontario (an Indian reservation BTW) on the shores of the estuary of the Moosonee River across from the town of Moosonee.  This is actually almost on James Bay, and is an interesting place in the boreal forest.

rkelly17

No, I'd missed that. It is amazing with people still stopping by for a drink and a bite after many years. Great work and service! One of my former students has spent every Summer at Moose Factory doing work with the community there. She loves it, but will have to cut back now that she has to get a year-round job. I've always wanted to do the train ride to Moosonee, but never have yet--should have done it when you could go all the way from Toronto on the old Dutch TEE equipment.

A Nonny Moose

Quote from: rkelly17 on October 15, 2014, 09:41:02 AM
No, I'd missed that. It is amazing with people still stopping by for a drink and a bite after many years. Great work and service! One of my former students has spent every Summer at Moose Factory doing work with the community there. She loves it, but will have to cut back now that she has to get a year-round job. I've always wanted to do the train ride to Moosonee, but never have yet--should have done it when you could go all the way from Toronto on the old Dutch TEE equipment.

Too bad really.  It was on my bucket list, but I've become too disabled to do much travelling any more.  A small trip to the east coast in 2013 summer pretty much demonstrated to me that I will need wheels if I ever do this kind of thing again.

If you get a chance, by all means go.

A Nonny Moose

A forward leap in time saves a lot of soap flakes.

How time goes by. It has been five years since my last journal entry. In that time our little band has grown to 41 souls. There has been much hand-fasting and one addition to our merry band, namely Calvin, the vintner. Now let me see ...

Juliana and Walter have a new son, August. Lucy was born to Georgio and Carmencita. Finbar and Consuela now have Sean, a brother to Leaf. Geoff and Julia added Winifred (Winnie) having raised Lisa as a sitter. Rudi hand-fasted Anastasia and they have produced Eliza. Willem got Musetta (surprise!) and they have added Maurice to our flock. Beautiful Katerina landed Wilfred and has been delivered of Mabel last year. And finally Calvin fell madly in love with Francesca four years ago and now they have Frederick (Freddy). Whew ... I think that's the lot.

Calvin came to us in an odd way. Max was walking his trap line and stumbled across him wandering in the woods. He had been turned out of his town because of some trivial conflict with the headman. Max said he was lucky to have been only tossed out. So, after an interview, we decided to keep him, especially since he knew about viticulture and we had been wondering about some of the wild grapes we've been enjoying from gathering.

Just before the spring equinox, Dash came into the house looking very excited. "He accepted my piece! I am going to be certified Journeyman Smith!

"Congratulations!" I said with enthusiasm as if this handn't already been discussed at council. "And Sam?"

"Him too. We both have completed out journeyman piece. Sam made a double bladed axe, and I made a scythe. Master Georgio accepted both of them and put them in the new museum of works."

"Guess we'll have to have a ceremony. What are you doing on the eve of the equinox?"

"Hah! You knew already" he said with a smirk that couldn't disguise his glee.

"Well, it has been a joy watching you become a man. With muscles like that you'll have to watch out for the girls. They'll all be after you."

Dash blushed. "Uh... Vicky has been making moon eyes at me. I think we are too young for hand-fasting, don't you?"

"Just a little. You'll have to restrain yourself. No rolls with honey."

"Huh?"

"Come see me after your next session with Georgio. You'll be late, so get going."

I felt a little apprehensive. It is a father's duty to explain about the functions that go with hand-fasting.

At the equinox-eve fire, the village gathered for the first ceremonial broach of the new casks of uisgebeatha, with a toast to the harvest to come. Georgio stepped forward with a couple of pieces of parchment in hand and announced, "Let all present acknowlege the progression of my two apprentices Sam and Dash to the rank of Journeyman Blacksmith. Step forward, gentlemen.

Dash and Sam proudly stepped up to the podium and accepted their certificates.

Dash came over to me and said, "That's the first time I've ever been addressed that way. You know, it was almost embarrassing."

"Young scamp! You won't hear that again anytime soon. But you can have a sip of my cup as a seal of your worth.", passing the usigebeatha to him.

"Wow! That's good stuff. Can I get my own?"

"Not for a while yet. I want you to finish growing. You haven't seen me about husbandly duties yet."

"Oh, there's nothing mysterious about that. We have all these animals about"

"That's not what I want to tell you about, smart ass. Come see me soon."

Bobbi

Rolls with honey? Might have to explain that one, too.

A Nonny Moose

Quote from: Bobbi on October 16, 2014, 09:15:27 AM

If you don't know, you mustn't ask.  Just be a good boy and keep your hands in your pockets.

Bobbi

A Nonny Moose

Interesting.  I'm a dirty old man, and I've had that talk with my RL son.  You'd be surprised at the pejorative attitude that boys pick up in the school yard, especially boys in rural areas.

By the way, I thought that was spelled gurul?

slink

Quote from: Bobbi on October 16, 2014, 09:15:27 AM
I imagine that is rolls-in-the-hay with your-honey.

And I'm an old woman, before anyone tells me to stick my hands in my pockets.  That won't do me any good at all.  ;)

Bobbi

I sometimes wonder what boys are doing with their hands in their pockets.....

irrelevant

Making "adjustments."  ;D

A Nonny Moose

And now, for the big disappointment.  Authors have devious devices.

"Thank you, Father", Dash said. "That clears up a lot of things, including the duties of being a good husband and father. When the time comes, I hope I'm ready."

Just then Myrtle walked into the room. "Ready for what?" she said.

Dash actually blushed. "Never mind."

"Father, what is he embarrassed about?"

"Ask your mother", I said.

"That's no kind of an answer", said Myrtle. "I'm going down to the fish shack and ask her."

Marta and I had already discussed what I was going to say to Dash, so she would be prepared with some excuse to put Myrtle off for a few years, I hoped.

I walked down to the dock and began repairing some nets that had been damaged. Marta came over and said, "Well, Myrtle was just full of questions. I don't know how much of your birds and bees talk she overheard, but it couldn't have been much. I convinced her to wait for answers until she is older. What happened to the nets?"

"They were torn on something they snagged on the bottom. I'll take a dive later and see if it is something that can be removed. Or better yet, I'll have Dash do it. It'll take his mind off his other concerns."

"Yes, a good idea. He's a bit full of his new title right now, and a little fisher maintenance will remind him where he could be instead."