News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Merchants 'fix'

Started by Pangaea, October 06, 2014, 12:57:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangaea

I've now just witnessed, for the umpteenth time, that 3 out of 4 traders to arrive were livestock or seed merchants (3 seeds this time). Would it be possible to change the main trading files in a mod, disabling the seed and livestock merchant, and add this mod to a savegame after you have gotten all your seeds and animals, or would this crash the game in a heap of fire and exploding bugs?

This is quickly becoming the most annoying issue in the game for me, and I can't be arsed to keep saving and reloading every 2 minutes just to get around it.

Unfortunately I can't try this myself as modding is not working on my end for some inexplicable reason.

salamander

I've seen things like this so many times, especially early in a game, that I'm starting to wonder if there's something that affects the type of merchants you get depending on game year, population, or any of a number of other things that might indicate progress in a game.

slink

I've just tried changing Template\trader.rsc so there are no more seed or livestock merchants, loaded an old game, and a merchant came.  No crashes so far.  I'll try to package that up.

salamander

Hmmm ... I don't seem to have a Trader.rsc file in the 'Template' directory.  Is this something in the newest Mod Kit (which I don't have yet)?

Pangaea

Thank you @slink. If this actually works without crashes and the livestock and seed marchants are not coming, this would be a very popular mod indeed. Especially when using few trading posts, it's dang annoying when routinely 50+% of the time merchants I have zero use for keeps popping up.

It's like the old joke of  trying to sell sand in the Sahara. After a few tries, you'd think people caught on.

Pangaea

Quote from: salamander on October 06, 2014, 01:48:37 PM
Hmmm ... I don't seem to have a Trader.rsc file in the 'Template' directory.  Is this something in the newest Mod Kit (which I don't have yet)?

She probably just said the wrong filename. It looks like the info is contained in TradingPost.rsc. There are several merchant types there, under _merchants.

slink

TradingPost.rsc, sorry.   :-[

I wouldn't try installing this while you have a boat on the map, just in case.  I am pretty sure that it only chooses the trading boat contents when it hits the dock, but you can never tell.

Let me know how it works out.   :)

Edit: Newer version in thread on mods.

Pangaea

Wooooooooooooooooooooooot!! :)

Loaded an old game and set it to 10x. After 7 boats have arrived, not one was a seed or livestock merchant. Didn't crash on saving either, so it seems to work very well. Two boats were already present in the save I loaded, and it didn't crash despite loading the mod, so you're probably right they refer to the trading file when docking.

Should perhaps still be careful about using it in an important existing save, but so far it looks very promising :) Normally there should be a 40% chance to get either seed or livestock (feels more like 80% but oh well), so I don't think the coincidence can be stacked so far against now, with 0% after 7 boats.

Thanks a lot @slink. Digital kisses  ;D ;D

salamander

Quote from: Pangaea on October 06, 2014, 01:51:44 PM
Quote from: salamander on October 06, 2014, 01:48:37 PM

She probably just said the wrong filename. It looks like the info is contained in TradingPost.rsc. There are several merchant types there, under _merchants.

Silly me.  I looked at TraderBoat.rsc but didn't see anything there that looked like it applied to merchant type, and I didn't even think to look in TradingPost.rsc -- I guess I figured what the boat carries would be a boat thing, not a post thing.  Anyway, it looks like the change is working, and that's good.

slink

I had the same thought initially, @salamander, but I suppose Luke considered the trading posts to be generating the boats that arrive on the map.  That would explain why the contents aren't set until the boat touches the dock.

Pangaea

It definitely looks to be working. At least 20 boats must have dropped by now, and not a single has brought animals or seeds.

rkelly17

Quote from: slink on October 06, 2014, 02:02:35 PM
I am pretty sure that it only chooses the trading boat contents when it hits the dock, but you can never tell.

Just before it hits the dock in my tests. There is a point after which any reloads get you the same merchant carrying the same load. I haven't yet figured out the precise distance.

slink

Quote from: rkelly17 on October 07, 2014, 09:07:19 AM
I am pretty sure that it only chooses the trading boat contents when it hits the dock, but you can never tell.

Just before it hits the dock in my tests. There is a point after which any reloads get you the same merchant carrying the same load. I haven't yet figured out the precise distance.
And there is another point at which you get the same merchant no matter how often you reload, but the wares change.  I hadn't figured out that distance, either.

rkelly17

Quote from: slink on October 07, 2014, 09:13:08 AM
Quote from: rkelly17 on October 07, 2014, 09:07:19 AM

And there is another point at which you get the same merchant no matter how often you reload, but the wares change.  I hadn't figured out that distance, either.

Ya gotta love this game!   ;D