News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Water and Wind Mills - Redketchup

Started by RedKetchup, October 16, 2014, 08:52:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangaea

Weird the pictures don't show for me, but the links work, thankfully. Looks good. Does a windmill look like that though? I've only seen them with fewer blades.

Nilla

I am not an historian, but I happen to be interested in technical- and industrial-history. Cannot pass a technical museum or an old industrial-building open for visitors, without spending some time there.

As far as I know windmills and sometimes also watermills were mostly used for aggregation, pumping water from A to B in dry climates.

Than of cause the mills making flour from grain.

Finally here in Sweden, a very important peace of our industrial and economic history, are the watermills used in the mining and metalworking industries and later also the sawmills. (In the 1700th century Sweden was an European "superpower" much because of these industrial developments). There are some very ingenious and very beautiful inventions of power-transmission. I would very much like to see some of these transmissions in Banished (their origins are medieval or older) but I don't know their names in English.

Maybe someone knows what I am talking about and can tell.

Found something: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatrod_system

rkelly17

I love the water mill!  For my taste the wind mill looks a bit odd. Aren't wind mills normally tall and skinny to get the sails up high into the wind?

I thought of another use for windmills: to pump water up from wells or keep polders (is that the proper spelling for the reclaimed land in the Netherlands?) dry.

Fellow Villager

Paeng

The water mill looks pretty good already  :)  Maybe add more blades (or 'paddles') to the wheel, which would add 'traction' to turn the wheel more easily...

Quote from: Nilla on October 16, 2014, 12:07:42 PMMaybe someone knows what I am talking about and can tell.

Sounds like the "Water Regale" (Regale here meaning something like a Royal Grant) -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper_Harz_Water_Regale

Impressive indeed, I 'explored' them on many hikes... some of them are still used even today to provide drinking water in the region...

Quote from: Pangaea on October 16, 2014, 11:50:23 AMDoes a windmill look like that though?

Windmills were used for grinding grain at first and then for drawing water and later for power. So the one for grain is more that typical "Dutch Windmill" with 2 or 4 huge blades and a rather solid building with it -

while the later types are often more "frontier" -

[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

irrelevant

@Nilla I had never heard of Flatrods. That's a fascinating transmission and use of hydro power.

RedKetchup

Quote from: Paeng on October 16, 2014, 04:09:16 PM

while the later types are often more "frontier" -

thats exactly what mine looks like

and it doesnt looks like an horrible thing:
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

irrelevant

I hate that >:(

This is what I think of when I think of windmills:

downloadmyheart

may i suggest that the Windmill must be placed in a valley/mountain, it is best placed at higher ground, it can be placed beside mines, it generate electricity in real life, but in the game - this as another production building is good enough :)

RedKetchup

irrelevant

Sorry  :-[

How about this?

Google "windmill 3D models"

RedKetchup

i dont like it , it  s same as tonkso's probably he copied to it, or used it and modified it.

irrelevant

Yah, I don't really like it either.  ;) But there's tons of 3D windmill models out there.

Paeng

I don't get it - so much emotion... love, hate? I thought this was about first of all determining the types of windmills that are common or realistic (just some old-fashioned research), and then decide which one fits the bill?

There are the very early grain mills like the historical one Ill Tonkso used -

Or the pretty postcard mills of dutch origin -

Or the very functional, rather modern windmill that pumps up water or generates power -

For each type you can find dozens of designs...
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

irrelevant

Quote from: Paeng on October 16, 2014, 08:09:11 PM
I don't get it - so much emotion... love, hate?
Sorry. Maybe the wine I'm drinking doesn't like it. I'll shut up about windmills.