News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

The 100-challenge

Started by Nilla, March 20, 2015, 08:11:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brugle

Quote from: kee on March 22, 2015, 01:05:43 PM
but if your seed gave you children aged 9 you simply won't have time to erect that school in time to escape at least one doofus.
True if there is an old 9, but if there is only a young 9 then it is possible to build a school in time (if materials are handy).

Nilla

Quote from: Brugle on March 22, 2015, 01:58:40 PM
I have a question about challenges in general.  In a challenge, is it legit to save the game and keep repeating an action until it comes up the way you want?  In this challenge, you could get the desired sex at birth, since the time of birth seems to be determined but the sex is apparently random.  Selecting the merchant who arrives at a dock might be useful, and I expect there are other things which could be improved by repetition.

In my "regular play" I don't do this, except sometimes to find a good seed.  But I might want to do it in a challenge to stay competitive if it is OK.  Is it?

If you are that eager, diligent, patient, ambitions..... whatever..... I find it OK

The goal 100% educated leaves as some interesting decisions; If we choose a map with many and older children, that will give us a fast growth, there might be some 9 years old that grows up before the school is built. Should we choose a map with not so many children, or take a chance, that this uneducated decease before we reach the number of 100? This C-alternative is supposed to be a bit trickier than the other.

Another thing to think about are the harts and stars. Can we get 5 harts without buying any grain or grain seeds? What is if the merchants don't bring any? I suppose we need a graveyard to keep the 5 stars, when do we build it, we might have bad luck and get an accidental death or an early death of old age......

I made this variation fully on purpose, knowing that not all attempt could succeed. If we want it easier, there are alternative A or B.

irrelevant

Quote from: Brugle on March 22, 2015, 02:21:34 PM
Quote from: kee on March 22, 2015, 01:05:43 PM
but if your seed gave you children aged 9 you simply won't have time to erect that school in time to escape at least one doofus.
True if there is an old 9, but if there is only a young 9 then it is possible to build a school in time (if materials are handy).
On are hard start there are no materials until you harvest them. I've (just barely) gotten a school built in time for a 9/yo, but that was on a medium start when you don't have to start off by scratching up construction mats.

Brugle

Quote from: Nilla on March 22, 2015, 02:42:08 PM
Quote from: Brugle on March 22, 2015, 01:58:40 PM
I have a question about challenges in general.  In a challenge, is it legit to save the game and keep repeating an action until it comes up the way you want?  In this challenge, you could get the desired sex at birth, since the time of birth seems to be determined but the sex is apparently random.  Selecting the merchant who arrives at a dock might be useful, and I expect there are other things which could be improved by repetition.

In my "regular play" I don't do this, except sometimes to find a good seed.  But I might want to do it in a challenge to stay competitive if it is OK.  Is it?

If you are that eager, diligent, patient, ambitions..... whatever..... I find it OK
Well, I'd like to know if anyone else doing C intends to do it.

Nilla

I intend to do it and @kee already has.

Brugle

Quote from: Nilla on March 22, 2015, 03:29:35 PM
I intend to do it and @kee already has.
What I meant was, will anyone else doing C sometimes save the game and repeat a birth until the sex comes out as desired?  I'll do that but only if someone else also does it.

So often, when I think I've been clear, it turns out I haven't. :(

irrelevant

I'm doing the C; I've been known to  take a mulligan on Merchants when they bring livestock or seeds too often  ;) Re-doing the births would seem pretty tedious even to me, who will grind through manual trading at 30+ TPs year after year, but if you're game, I'd say go for it! ;D

Nilla

I would not save, restart and wait for the right gender. I never do, to get the right merchant eather (almost). But if you want to, do it! If you are so patent, you deserve a good result.

But for example, if there is an accidental death or some early decease, big fire or tornado, I would go back to an earlier save. In a normal game I usually don't do that, but I would here.

Brugle

OK.  I don't expect to try to change the sex at birth too often.  I expect that quite often I won't care much which sex is born, and if the opposite sex is born next (which often happens) then I should be back to not caring again.

(Since I don't have much playing time, Kaiyana Ladarin will have to wait.)

Quote from: Nilla on March 22, 2015, 06:26:54 PM
But for example, if there is an accidental death or some early decease, big fire or tornado, I would go back to an earlier save.
I don't expect fires or tornadoes with disasters off.

irrelevant

Teaser!

Hope to finish this tomorrow night.

chillzz

the hard core challenge : Olusterdonville
map seed : 212645189
type : valleys / large / fair
disasters : on
starting conditions : hard
No mods. and to make it somewhat harder as a test for myself :
- No trading, No Farming, No Husbandry
- No quarries or mines
- No Boarding Houses
- No Nomads

start with 8 adults, 7 children.
year 01 - spring : 1st child turned almost directly into laborer before the school
could have been build. 1st building : school
year 06 - first death due to childbirth
year 09 - early summer : Halfway
year 10 - two deaths due to old age
year 13 - winter : three quarters
year 16 - autumn : done, with the birth of 'Bridge'

final result : 100% clothed, 100% educated, 100% happiness, health 4.5 hearts :(
Not bad.. wonder why i couldn't get them 100% healthy, with roots,  mushrooms, onions, berries, venison and fish alone.

this was actually 2nd attempt,   first map had a tornado in year 1 whipping out all 8 adults and the only 2 children.
support New Medieval Town development!
click here to donate via PayPal to RedKetchup

irrelevant

@chillzz Very nice! Extra tough with no trade. But you pretty much have to have grain to get 5 hearts.

chillzz

@irrelevant thanks :)
Yeah i wondered about that.. i thought it might have to do with the 'bad' conditions the first years. just the food from gathers, no fish, no meat, no herbs, almost no clothing. health dropped to 3 hearts around year 3.

Year 12 was extremely bad with deaths btw. 6 due to old age and 2 due to childbirth.
So with slightly more luck i could have made it in end 15, early 16.
support New Medieval Town development!
click here to donate via PayPal to RedKetchup

kee

I've had banishims with full hearts based solely on gatherer, hunter, fisher and herbalist but it is bloody hard to keep there. Well stocked markets and quite near herbalists is a key, but this diminishes the herb yield per year.
Kim Erik

Nilla

Very nice try @chillzz !

I'm sure the missing ½ hart comes from the extra hard conditions you put upon yourself. It's hard to get the 5 stars with no grain, especially if they go down so much at the start.

If the average is 3 harts, there are individuals with only 1 and 2 harts (children are born with 5). I have noticed; when the people visit the herbalist, they get ½ hart more, but they don't visit the herbalist all the time so I suppose it takes more than 16-3=13 years to gain the full stars, even with a perfect location of markets and herbalists. Maybe the people that lived at the real nasty times have to die first.