News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Starving in the midst of plenty.

Started by A Nonny Moose, April 13, 2015, 08:23:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Nonny Moose

In marginal situations which often occur when running in hard mode, I've had food production workers starve to death when they could easily have eaten something.  The most glaring instance is fishermen on a fishing dock or carrying cases of fish to the storage facilities.  Worse yet, they arrive at the storage facility, deliver their goods and don't get fed while there.  This is carrying altruism too far.

It might be understandable with farmers of grain products where some processing may be necessary but by the time you get any crops in hard mode, you are usually over the hump.  You can't get any grain or other crops until you get a trading post, and make it through a crop-year, which is understandable.

I think the food access algorithms need adjustment.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

rkelly17

Unfortunately this is a commonplace in Banished. Citizens can only eat at home or, in certain cases carry a "lunch" if their house has food in inventory. Houses must send someone to a market or barn to collect food. If a citizen carrying food to a market or barn has no food at home and gets hungry, they collapse at the side of the road and die. The only solution I am aware of is to keep markets full of food and keep jobs close to home--not so easy when it is time to expand into new territory. In the startup of a Hard game before a market is built, build houses close to a barn. When I start on Hard I build the storage yard and barn first and then the gatherer so that the gatherers have a place to store food besides the wagon. Then I build everything else (woodcutter, hunter, forester and houses) close so no one has to go too far. Once that is going I build the blacksmith and school just outside the hunter/gatherer/forester circle. I learned all this from a YouTube series called "The Crossroads Build" by pinstar.

In the early days before the program was tweeked, a laborer coming home from a long trip cold and hungry might slip into a house to warm up and die of starvation right there. I haven't seen that in a long time.

A Nonny Moose

In my current village (hard mode), I have all my houses across the road from a storage bin, but a fisherman carrying fish to storage delivered his load then dropped dead at the threshold of the storage bin.  I think he would have returned to the fishing shack, still unfed, as I've had this happen.  There really is some missing logic here, and perhaps this should be passed on to Luke as a possible improvement.

RedKetchup

unfortunatly, Luke wont do any improvement now. he stopped to work on banished long time ago. he is working on a tool that does it own prog language and exporting to all platform. the only time he will kinda work for banished is when he will load his banished code into that tool and export the game into other platform. but when he will do that, he wont do any fix or improvement.

if you want me, i can resend another email to Luke clearly asking if we can hope a last version of Banished with fixes/improvements in the near future or not.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

A Nonny Moose

Quote from: RedKetchup on April 14, 2015, 04:14:57 PM
if you want me, i can resend another email to Luke clearly asking if we can hope a last version of Banished with fixes/improvements in the near future or not.
Please do so.

On the other hand, I am vitally interested in multi-platform systems since I run on Linux and don't even have a copy of Windows, not even an old one.  Good luck to Luke.  He will have to get shut of Visual Studio.

The last time I had anything to do with this sort of thing was when I was at GE and the development shop was working on MALT (Multi-decor Assembly Language Translator), which was designed to run on any machine and produce executable text for any other machine.  The project disappeared when Honeywell purchased the Computer Department from GE.  It may still be alive in the GE Skunk Works but I lost touch in about 1970.  However, Luke might find the wine compilation system interesting since it depends pretty much on a regular, if sophisticated, makefile.  This is publicly available.