News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Tried something new (to me).

Started by A Nonny Moose, April 19, 2015, 11:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Nonny Moose

My original hunter's cabin was being overtaken by the settlement and in these cases I usually move it deeper into the wilderness.  However, this time I had an idea and I put a big orchard right at the door step of the cabin.  The deer were attracted to the orchard, so production at the hunter continued unabated.  I conjecture that trees attract deer and it doesn't matter what kind.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

kee

Reality imitates art. The roedeer are quite fond of my garden (apples, raspberries, black and redcurrant, strawberries).
Kim Erik

Paeng

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on April 19, 2015, 11:46:55 AMI conjecture that trees attract deer and it doesn't matter what kind.

Nice try...  ;)

However, I think "game reality" is a lot more simple than that - "hunting intelligence" is not its forte anyway... For a Hunter's Lodge it looks nice to have a bit of forest, some open country and some creek or lake within its circle. But as I have also observed - "open country" is most relative... Your hunters will be quite productive even in a highly settled area... and I don't think they care about trees at all  ;)

The important thing is:

Deer are spawned once a month (or maybe a season, not sure anymore).
A whole lodge is allowed only a certain number of "kills" per year/or season, so --regardless of how many employees you have-- once that number is reached:  Game Over till next season...

* That's why it is also quite pointless to have more than 2 hunters to a lodge, their yield will improve only marginal. And you can build a lodge quite far away from civilization, since the hunters just walk around most of the time - ample time to deliver the few venison and leather to any old barn in the neighborhood...

I never relocate a Hunter's Lodge, I just let it get swallowed up by the growing village... And I seldom see a really severe drop in productivity - the meat and leather numbers always fluctuate around the same output... Else I might reduce this lodge to one worker and build a new one further out.
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

A Nonny Moose

Well, if nothing else, I can make alky from the fruit.

rkelly17

Since the initial release of Banished one of the most contentious issues has been deer and hunting. There have been arguments on the various fora on almost every aspect of hunting: over the connection between the deer you see graphically and the "actual" deer that get hunted; over the optimal number of hunters per lodge; over the necessity of "open country"--even over the definition of "open country." I've even participated in some of these  ;)  and carefully tracked hunting output over several years. There do seem to be various "deer spawning locations" spread around the map. If you are lucky enough to build a hunting lodge with one of these in its circle you will get maximum production. As an example, on some maps one hunting lodge can keep one tailor fully supplied with leather for producing close to the maximum number of coats I set. On other maps one hunting lodge barely supplies enough leather to keep the tailor producing just enough coats for each citizen to have one--I find leather production to be the most obvious indicator of hunting production until you have cows. I have come to use mostly "forest nodes"--a practice which some find highly objectionable--which include hunters, gatherers, foresters and a wood cutter plus storage and housing, so I don't have any experience with the impact of full urban encroachment on hunting, but I sure see lots of graphic deer wandering through town. Can't tell you what that means, though.

A Nonny Moose

I think the graphic deer are simply eye candy.  They are not accessible objects as I have tried to pick one up with various tools to no avail.  I had one eating my corn field yesterday, and I couldn't access it, and the corn field seemed unaffected.

irrelevant

The graphical representations of the deer may not themselves be objects, but I am as certain as I can be that there is some object there on that same spot that represents venison and leather (similar to a mushroom plant representing edible mushrooms), and it is harvested when a hunter encounters it (similar to a gatherer harvesting the mushrooms). When the hunter encounters the deer graphic (or perhaps more accurately the object the deer graphic represents), the hunter does his hunting dance, the deer graphic vanishes and in its place, two carcasses and one hide appear on the ground (similar to a basket of mushrooms appearing as a result of the gatherer/mushroom graphic encounter).

Brugle

Quote from: irrelevant on April 23, 2015, 08:23:11 AM
I am as certain as I can be that there is some object there on that same spot that represents venison and leather (similar to a mushroom plant representing edible mushrooms), and it is harvested when a hunter encounters it (similar to a gatherer harvesting the mushrooms)
Agreed.

rkelly17

Quote from: irrelevant on April 23, 2015, 08:23:11 AM
The graphical representations of the deer may not themselves be objects, but I am as certain as I can be that there is some object there on that same spot that represents venison and leather (similar to a mushroom plant representing edible mushrooms), and it is harvested when a hunter encounters it (similar to a gatherer harvesting the mushrooms). When the hunter encounters the deer graphic (or perhaps more accurately the object the deer graphic represents), the hunter does his hunting dance, the deer graphic vanishes and in its place, two carcasses and one hide appear on the ground (similar to a basket of mushrooms appearing as a result of the gatherer/mushroom graphic encounter).

Have you actually seen a deer graphic "die"? I have encountered a lot of dressed carcasses and skins, but I've never actually caught one getting killed. Of course, I play at 10X (with long pauses for planning, etc.) so lots of things come and go without me noticing them.  ;D

irrelevant

Quote from: rkelly17 on April 24, 2015, 08:48:05 AM
Have you actually seen a deer graphic "die"?
I have seen it happen many times. Poof! Gone, replaced by goodies on the ground. It works exactly the same way as herders slaughtering livestock in a pasture.

rkelly17

Quote from: irrelevant on April 24, 2015, 09:29:38 AM
I have seen it happen many times. Poof! Gone, replaced by goodies on the ground. It works exactly the same way as herders slaughtering livestock in a pasture.

I am glad to hear that. It means that the graphic deer do give some clue to where the huntable deer are. Not sure exactly what to do about that in designing settlements, but it is good to know.

irrelevant

Quote from: rkelly17 on April 25, 2015, 11:05:08 AM
Quote from: irrelevant on April 24, 2015, 09:29:38 AM

I am glad to hear that. It means that the graphic deer do give some clue to where the huntable deer are. Not sure exactly what to do about that in designing settlements, but it is good to know.
What I do is I look for spots where deer show up grazing, and I locate my cabins so there are at least two or three of these in the circle. The deer migrate around from on spot to another, and eventually they always come back to the same spots.