Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

BRAD'S SETTLING of AMERICA SERIES: LANDING FORT

Started by brads3, May 19, 2017, 04:31:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brads3

mods: count 99 
ORDER FROM TOP DOWN:   

RK vanilla TP for 107,bigger wheelbarrows,empty space, CC no smoke, stop burning coal,no ducks,forget about orchard, immortal trees,residence fix,renewable resources,more wood,safer mines,
unlimited mines,blacksmith tools,pine set 103,NAT DIV,season fx,maritimes storage,mini buildings,
Tjurko mill,bakers and millers,

EB mods< farm house 1+2,farmstand,herbalist,leather works,markets,oil press,tannery,winery>
hunting,fly fishing,

KID mods<tiny,rowhouse2,market soup and bar-b-q,puzzle vers 1,vegetable garden,forest outpost v2,
    wildwes,yard cover,log depot,plymouth plantation,workplace,colonial resource and housing>

DS stone hovels,

RED's mods<garden walls utility,country house,ketchup,training camp main+deco,wood butcher>

bakery plus,domesticated fix,my precious,statue plus,107 compatability,CCjourney,compatible buildings,

RED's NMT 2.04,

TOM's mods<nordic: houses,school,wharehouse,wooden house,red cottage>

fountain lite, tropical greenhouse,adriana college and library,

----------MODS BELOW THIS POINT SHOW NO CONFLICTS--------------------
better school,birch canoe,CC light rain,
chicken coop,city roads,debug,decorative plants,emporium,fruit&veg barn,gh lighthouse,grassy roads,
i see fire,izba,more stone,new trees,old hunter hut,plymouth house,proper time,SJGL small markets,   slinks snughouse,specialized storage,storage shed,washing mod,white picket fence,zmasher

I should explain that list some. it is a huge list.several of them are older mods and i chose not to
upgrade them. i am used to where they are in the toolbar and the new flags should not bother them. this order shows to work and other than a nothing line,my traders and townhall inventories have been clean.no blank tags yet. i did overhaul and go through the entire list after the LOWESVILLE error and crash.never did solve it even after i did try RED's TP fix.
    some of these are self explanatory like no wild ducks,smoke,etc. i'll hit on the older or odd 1's.

forget orchards:produces fruit the 1st year and doesn't die off or require replanting,
immortal trees: forest trees stay until you cut them down.this will help get more wood with the newer mods
residence fix:is just to fix a possable error. i say possable because the mod i believe it fixed has been removed since it did cause other errors. better safe than sorry so it can stay.

renewable resource will help with iron ore and iron as well as stone supplies.
BS tools:allows stone and wood tools.very handy early in games.also can help later when you need iron.
PINE FOREST+NAT DIV: these changed the game and give a more realistic meadow look.drawback is the lack of thick forests. several mods do help that as well as the ability to burn the thatch.after using these together, my understanding is the thatch isn't just cut dry grass but pressed bundles.

seasonFX:gives a better look to the crop fields
mini buildings:main reason for this mod is the TH draws nomads by itself.normally in under 5 years. lately it has been longer though there doesn't seem to be a conflict causing it.bad luck/blocked maps?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this is to be a landing fort to America. then expand it with several other maps or games.it takes trial and error to find a good map to start with. i prefer the start to be in the northeast corner.after loading several maps ,this is as close as i am going to get. we start in a bay where everything south and east is ocean.
the objective here is to build a landing fort that the settlers can branch out from.this includes the various parts from CC's northern frontier version.for new players the older versions are included with the new CC versions. being such a small area,this will require some good trading to get the building materials.
by then the population should be over 100 and it will take several years.
     map code 87537412  water world  medium sized  mild climate  disasters off  medium conditions

brads3

YEAR 1:
   first thing is to change limits.logs to 2000,herbs 1000,textiles 1000. bump the tools and clothing up 1 click to 150. drop a flyfisher and a hunter.no cost and quick food gains. i'll set 2 crops behind the storage a bit leaving room to build a wall.checking th orchard we have cherries so beyond those crops i will add a orchard.usually i go with 10x10 crops.this orchard i am going 15x15. i start with corn,pumpkins,and cherry.i placed the mini TH to bring help and the barracks next to the storage barn but left enough room for a road back to the fields.now i can unpause it and everyone will be busy. on this computer the game works faster with me minimizing it off the desktop.it is noticably faster about 5-10 times faster than if i keep the window on the desktop.
      since we will need muskets for the fort,i'll use the RH BS and tailor.i do start by making stone tools so i don't overuse the iron ore.the dock fuel shed and a mini woodcutter and we'll have supplies for the winter.though it leaves only 1 laborer,the others will help when they have time.
  took til summer to get the orchard cleared. by then the hunter has 32 leather and 467 venison in storage and another 470 in the barracks already. a small market will help keep a variety of supplies moving to the fort.this will keep us busy into winter.

YEAR 2:  Need to add 2 colonial houses and a barn back by the crops. will also build a lookout tower for the hunter.that way we can stockpile furs. due to snow coming in early autumn,we did lose our corn crop. the pumpkins and cherry made up for most of it.during the winter i'll keep the workers busy clearing around the fort area.

YEAR 3: we need rowhouses for fort workers.we also need to get our log count up for more building later.
yes the RH's are small but work well for forts.since i have 1 more family in the barracks ,i'll build a colonial house near the hunter and a pine supply barn.this will give a worker for a maple forest.in the fall the workers can collect the roots and berries.we are ahead of winter and ready for nomads.
  i bumped the food limit up to 15000 so they don't stop producing. now that i have plenty of storage ,i can bump the mineral and stone up also.
    the hunter was trampled by a wild boar.

pic 1: summer year 1
pic 2: winter year 1
pic 3: colonial houses and lost corn crop.i try to keep my fields at 500 each. total loss about 200.
pic 4: RH"s and the families.
pic 5:forest area and hunter death.the deer were pushed back while cleaering land elsewhere.
pic 6: winter year 3.

Maldrick

Was reading you mod list and was curious, where is chicken coop, tropical greenhouse and fly fishing from?  Not sure I've seen those.
"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."
― Ezio Auditore da Firenze

brads3

the chicken coop and fly fishing are TOM SAWYER mods. the tropical GH is a CC addition mod.
http://blackliquidsoftware.com/index.php?/files/category/11-kralyergs-kave-of-krazy-kontraptions/ 
that has a lot of the CC addon mods.
http://www.banishedventures.com/north/
TOM has a lot of different mods under his site also.

that GH is handy to get rid of bonemeal from the hunters. and the quick fly fisherman and hunter are handy to get food while you are busy building the 1st year.the hunter looks like it has a small radius but it does not work like it.

Maldrick

Gotcha, thanks. Still haven't started using CC yet so that throws me off sometimes.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this.
"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."
― Ezio Auditore da Firenze

brads3

many of those mods over at BL don't require CC.CC has good and bad points to it. i like the various start settings: indians,forts,shipwreck,etc. i do hope they break them into a separate mod so they can be used with the pine forest and nat div.  brings many different buildings and decorations.sometimes people ask for stuff here and i am like huh? cause i already have it. i forget how much does come with the mod since there is lots.the biggest drawback is the chains can be over productive and fill barns or piles. most of the new items are for trade purposes since we haven't yet found a practicle way for bannies to use them. for example we can make furniture but not use it in houses. it is a good trade item if i can keep the log count up. another biggie is the use of building supplies to allow buildings to require more than 3 build materials.its a  building that combines different items to make the supplies say brick+lumber or copper and glass. you end up needing lots of different items but not lots of every item.so you have many in storage. it can overwhelm people with such a long inventory list. when you 1st start with CC,you find yourself wanting to build buildings that you don't yet have materials for also. like my forts require military supplies to build several parts. and then those buildings require other items to function.
    with this game i am only using the north to northwest corner. very limited on space.everything  south and far east is considered open ocean. with the new mods i have to get forests established before i can do much.those will take about 8-10 years to really produce well. in the meantime,hopefully i can get some trade goods stocked up.

Nilla

This will be an adventure. The map looks tough! I wish you luck!

brads3

YEAR 4:
    i don't want to build the fort walls yet. i would like to build the logs up first. for now i will start some roads and get a herb grower working.14 new workers arrive late spring year 4.now i can get some work done.first add a crop field and a house to the farms.then a pine forest east of the maple with a hunter and cabin.then we'll add a barn to store food and between the forests close to the ocean we'll build a pine market to supply tools and move textiles and food out.we'll also take time to start clearing the stone and iron ore from the forests.due to uneducated builders construction is slow.it does take time to build so far out,but it will pay off.the laborers did get time to pick most of the berries and gather the roots from the forests.

YEAR 5:   population 41 more than doubled.education down to 36%. once construction is caught up we need a school. slight food drop off the last year but the new hunter cabin should solve that.
      by fall we can start the school and another RH for the teacher and herbalist. near the pine market,i'll build a log cabin and fishing dock. for protection a fort tower will be build there also.with our growing population,the workers will clear another crop field by spring.

pic 1:new workers
pic 2:new field and house. roads started.
pic 3:pine forest construction
pic 4:pine forest,hunter cabin,pine market,and FO barn.
pic 5:school and herb grower.note how tight i am for space on this point.
pic 6:fishing dock and cabin.

brads3

YEAR 6
    with extra workers,i need to get some trade items started and  expand the food.1 laborer dead from a weak heart.that emptied the barracks.
    i have 3 houses with single people.right now i am building houses to keep the barracks empty for nomads. i usually try not to build houses only for couples or females over 15 in early games. with the version of propertime mod i use,the bannies go to school at age 10-16 and then will marry and move together.by building houses for the females early in games it will help force pairs and population growth.
i know it is neat to see other games where populations jump up quickly but they also have bigger dips to their food graphs. to me the propertime is more logical since the food grows and seasons progress based on a year. with the vanilla play the population ages 8x speed.that also means they will use food faster. it may seem to go slower but i think that gives time to plan towns and micro-manage the bannies and housing more too. so you get more balance and control.

knowing we will need to process iron ore but still be limited on logs,i will up the firewood limit slowly.there is a good thatch area between the crops and the forest.bannies do prefer firewood over thatch but will use it.
   summer, 14 more workers arrive.we will need food for more workers so these will all be sent to farms.
7 fields<3 pumpkin,4 corn> +2 cherry orchards. 3 hunter<1 quick,1 hut,1 tower>and 1 fishing dock.the hunters have had trouble finding game with the limited space.we have had to struggle to produce food.
   during winter,construction is all completed. the last male moved out of the barracks.

pic 1: singles in the colonial houses.

pic 2:more houses being built as well as another barn.note how the fields are spaced with the roads. i leave 1 square around fields so the workers have places to put harvested crops.i have heard people having troubles with fields not being worked if they were blocked.and harvests won't block the roads this way either.

pic 3: food graph struggles.the last nomad moved out of the barracks a male at 15 years old.note the quick-place hunter to the left. he was needed to get enough food to feed the new settlers.the firewood looks low but there is 292 thatch to burn.

brads3

YEAR 8:
     now that we have everything caught up,it is a good time to check inventory and see how the forests are doing.pine is getting thicker but the maples are growing slowly. those will take another 4 or 5 years before i need gatherers.
    hoping we are now producing enough food,i'm going to send workers to clear trees to the west and start building the main wall to the fort.then as we need more fields, the land is partly cleared.
     since we have plenty of logs,we will build a wood finder,fuel storage shed and a small woodcutter to help get the firewood count up.the dock wood finder will keep the cutter supplied with logs.
  during the winter,we will build an apiary for honey and beeswax. the bees can make honey from the cherry blosums and we'll have wax to make candles.
   by now, the pine forest is really thick. the maples and apples are not and they were planted earlier.must be the ground is rocky or not as fertile.without the thick forest,we will have less game and blueberries.will that soil quality hurt our crops too? we did lose the pumpkin field closest to the forest a couple years ago.this year,all fields produced good.the far east orchard did have less cherries though.
it has been interesting to see the odd differences that BARTENDER'S NAT DIV mod has caused.odd in the sence they were unexpected or unexplained.a mystery even to him,since i didn't think he intended to affect the soil......yet.

YEAR 9: spring,our food reserve continues to improve.since we have  17 and 14 year old females living with their parents in the small RH's,we will build a cabin and send a trapper between the forests.trying to help our apple trees,the laborers will weed thatch from that forest. of course the bannies never wanting to work with you,move the younger girl to the cabin instead of the older one.
      while the workers are busy clearing for another orchard,the builders can build a lumberyard.we will need the lumber to buid a furniture joiner.
        a glitch??? the dock wood finer stores food off and on. he always stores beeswax too. quite odd.

pic 1: shows the growth difference of the 2 forests. inventory.
pic 2: fort main wall. production stats.
pic 3: new wood finder and fuel storage with woodcutter between them.
pic 4: spring year 9.food graph shows progress.apiary at top of screen by the orchard.
pic 5:trapper cabin.showshow spotty the maple amd apple trees are.
pic 6: odd wood finder. has ore and corn stored. has also stored fish.
pic 7:winter yr 9 inventory. also shows the production of the 2 far east fields.lumberyard being built.

Abandoned

@brads3 very nice, I hope all continues to go well with this town.  :)

Nilla

Are you sure, that the maple forest grows slower than the pines. It might be a winter illusion, the leave (less) trees compared to the ever green thick furs and pines. ;)

And that food graph..... hm, I wouldn't be comfortable at all. With this map, many uneducated, many children; it couldn't look much different. I hope it will continue to improve.

To me it's a bit irritating to look at your inventory. I find it much more comfortable to sort it after the amount, not alphabetic. But of cause, it's a matter of habit. If you're looking for a smaller amount of something special, it's probably easier to find your way.

You also know, that I disagree with you about playing real time. Or rather; I don't disagree, all you say make sense. It's simply not the way I enjoy playing. It's good, that we all can find something, that fit our personalities. :)

brads3

GM,no the trees aren't an illusion because of the season.look at the trapper pic to the left is maples and apples.the forester hasn't planted them as thick.NILLA.you and i checked the growths on these forests and i checked with NECORA beofre too.the figuring was 8-10 years would give the trees growth enough to produce well.that was before the NAT DIV mod.soe meadow areas produce different than other spots or spots where trees were growing too.between the male forest and the crops to the west was a good thatch growth spot at the game start.it is strange how the 2 mods work like that. it does make playing more interesting or realistic. on larger maps we may have to start planning our crops and forests differently.i wonder now if that effected my fodder on some maps before too.
      yea,i have not been comfortable with the food graph.the crops are hitting my goaled average most of the time. i did lose 2 fields over the years but the orchard helped then. with 10x10 fields, normally i can get some to produce 700. the corn and pumpkins on this map are getting the 500 yield but not more. the hunters and fishing even has been a yoyo.it too is odd because RED's tower should produce the same here as anywhere.it doesn't have a radius like the other hunters.the hunter hut has as much flat space as i could get it too.normally i would have a good reserve by the time those 1st nomads showed up. having 2 sets almost back to back hurt.
       i will try to get the inventory by quantaty for you. i keep forgetting when i take the pics. i use both ways. to check furs or leather it is handy by alphabet. i do try to get you a different graph or info in some of the pics.

brads3

YEAR 10:

POPULATION 67  33 ADULTS,5 STUDENTS,29 CHILDREN.EDUCATION LEVEL LOW 24%.
   17 HOUSES. FOOD 3600+
      we are healthy and growing.our food is more stable.we have some furs and pelts stored.

i'll send 1 worker to the lumberyard. the laborers can clear more to the west.it doesn't take long to get a good supply of lumber.
       before summer,14 more workers sail to the fort. they are ready to help us start producing some trading goods.14 nomads divide by 5 per food worker. we need to put 3 of these producing food. a duck blind,reed farm,and dock house will near the fishing dock to supply materials for survival coats.and a double field is planned for corn.once a family is moved into the dock house,1 will be sent to fish to get these nomads producing their own food. 
      this set of nomads is infected with mumps.hopefully our herbalist can keep up.a medical tent is set up near the farms as the disease starts to spread quickly.as winter begins, we do lose 1 citizen to the mumps.luckily  the herb grower and doctor did get the sickness cleared up before more deaths.
     the snow melts early. having over 200 lumber,the yard is set to firewood and the limit increased.we do have extra textiles stored:pelts,feathers,and furs. we have many plans for next year and we do need more houses still.

YEAR 11:

another house and a shop to produce the survival coats is added at the docks.a mill is build near the new corn field.a fur and pelt tailor is added at the fort as well.then we can start the candle and furniture shops. we'll add housing with each.to help with food,a scavenger will work the ocean at the docks.
       winter comes quickly. we are now producing trade goods.the barracks is empty once again.the winter wind blew a tree over and killed 1 of our foresters.otherwise it was a very busy productive year.

pic 1: spring stats
pic 2: spring production chart.
pic 3: spring inventory. shows the hunter and fishing production.
pic 4: the medical tent.only 1 mumps death.
pic 5: the forests in spring.dock area with duck blind,reeds,and shop.
pic 6: flour mill and double sized corn field.
pic 7: pelt and fur tailor.
pic 8: behind the med tent is the candle shop.to the right is the lumberyard and furniture shop.
pic 9: docks in winter with water scavenger.

brads3

YEAR 12:

with most everyone busy,there isn't much to do except cut some trees and build our inventory.the builder can set up a cemetary.

YEAR 13:

now i will build the maple gatherer.the workers can start to clear land for a market place. then that can be stocked with materials to build a proudction area with.
       the maple gatherer has produced almost 1000 food this year. we are starting to build food reserves.

YEAR 14:
     i will construct a farm supply trading post. hopefully that will bring some different seeds and some sheep.using a variery of traders will give a test to be sure the new mod order is glitch free.i do question  productions from different buildings. they seem lower than normal.there are a few factors that could be causing it.the limited area. the larger nomad groups.it is unusual for the fields to produce 500 on 10x10 consistently.normally a field here and there woould get near 700.
     the farm supply post can be stocked with furniture,candles,and a variety of coats.

pic 1: cemetary and inventory.
pic 2:maple gatherer.
pic 3: clearing for the industrial market.food graph shows progress.
pic 4: farm supplier.