News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

How to Decide what The Buildings are Made Out Of (Realistic)

Started by KIM16, December 07, 2018, 03:23:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KIM16

This is just an idea to make the game more interesting and realistic, most of it has already been made. :)

how to decide what the buildings are made out of?

By looking at the buildings roof, walls,windows , and other decorative items or items specific to a building.

construction material idea:

ROOFING:

**  reeds  **

**   logs  **

**  planks  **

**  stones  **

**  bricks  **

(new profession can be added profession tile maker that makes log, stone and plank tiles or they can be made by blacksmith, brickwork makes brick tiles...)

WALL:

**leather or other fabric  **

**  clay  **

**  log  **

**  stone  **

**  planks  **

**  bricks  **

**  plaster  **

WINDOWS:

**  reeds  **

**  leather or fabrics   **

**  log  **

**  plank  **

**  glass  **

SPECIAL:

iron (needed to make blacksmiths anvil or mines to make tracks.. )
tools
hardwood
paint (for houses that are painted)
mud (for bakers mud ovens but they can also be made from clay, or mud walls and roofs)
different special metals and stone
different fabrics (cloth for windmill)
rope (for bridges)
candles
lamps (maybe for taverns)
anything you want..

Examples:

roof: plank tiles   wall: stone, plaster, planks (or hardwood/timber planks)   windows: glass

so building material for this house in banished would be:

plank tiles
stone
planks
plaster
glass

Building that use plaster would also use other material like planks or bricks that are under the plaster.

Plaster can be made from clay, gypsum, lime or cement.

This kind of system is not too complicated but interesting in my opinion.

Wish I knew how to make modes, maybe someday... :)

kid1293

Interesting!
If all modders agreed to this we could have uniform and compatible product chains.
Maybe even distribute storage flags in a better, uniform way.

Sorry to say, we are a bunch of individualists that all have our own way of solving things.
Who knows? This can be a good reason to unite! :)

KIM16

That would be amazing. I started playing banished recently again. There is so many new mods, but as you said everyone is separating more and more instead of uniting. Hope others see this too. I am sure everyone would enjoy playing the game with all the astonishing and beautiful mods people made with added balanced product chain and a bit of realism. :)

Abandoned

theonlywanderer

I'm all for more product chains, but when it comes to dealing with different types of roof tiles or different types of stones, not so much.  If we were capable of managing inventory better, it could work, but as it stands it would be out of control trying to manage things at that level.

I do agree that some of the homes should require better products.   A lot only need logs and stone when they are nice enough to actually require stone, lumber, glass, roof tiles and, of course, bricks if it's a brick building.

I am a huge fan of upgrades!   So my take would be most homes should have a level one version that is built with level one resources like logs and stone.   From there you upgrade to level two home with level two products like lumber, bricks, glass, roof tiles.   Then you have a level three upgrade that requires building supplies and home furnishings.  Each level improves efficiency and number of people, not sure how many levels of efficiency houses can have, may only be two, wood or stone.  So the third upgrade would just be for looks and maybe more people if possible.

Will be interesting to see how this all plays out and what everyone can agree on.

brads3

we have some of this. we do have buildings that are made from grass,lumber,etc.  as wanderer stated the game wasn't developed with that in mind. much of the game is seen as the bannies do lots themselves. initially we couldn't make bread,the bannies had to grind wheat and use it at their houses themselves.logs is a generic term that can mean lumber,planks,logs,slats,etc. many things in banished world were done that way, generic terms and the idea that the bannies do much more than we see.

if we could split the inventory menu into food,materials,etc,then these ideas woud work and make sence.so far that isn't possabe so we just flood the inventory with items. CC did a good job of compiling many items into the building supplies.then buidings were built using pipes,glass,etc combined.getting a balance of the many workplaces is tough with the limit flags we have.if you coud contro each item individualy then it would be easier.
        thing is where is the line? the more complex and complicated things are the more we could chase away players. in the gamming world,each game has a point that is great.develop and change it more and nobody likes the game as much. SC4,FS13,CIV<4 or 5>,etc. anyone even buy SC5?
each has its limit.

KIM16

But almost all of these items are in the mods already, they can use the same flags as they do now if nothing better becomes available. I dont really like cc building supplies system since glass, bricks, lumber are building supplies. Roof tiles are not necessary but RK added them and they are fine to me. This is smaller and less complicaited production chain than the one in cc. There are also 6 building materials available not only 3 so this could work.. But its just a suggestions people can and will do what they want :)

theonlywanderer

Brad asked about where the line is....   with mods, the line is set by each player on what they choose to install.   So, there is no need to stop making mods or impose any self limits on what level of mods should get built.  If somebody doesn't like a mod, they simply don't install it.

I think it's more about being realistic on what we expect from modders and what they will agree and take on as a challenge to create.

My understanding of what can be done with mods is very limited and pretty much based on what I've seen done while using MM8.01.   My only option is to throw ideas out there and see if it's even possible with modding alone.   Shoot for the moon and hopefully meet halfway once the modders say this or that can or can't be done.

KIM16

I agree. if the players don't like what the mod adds, no need to install it, or they can install it but they dont have to use all the features.

Abandoned

So, what you are saying is all the modders should make all the mods uniform and the same with the building requirements and production chains. So if players don't like it, what mods are they to use?   :D

Rhetorical question (no answer needed or wanted) Why are so many players using debug  :D

KIM16

They shouldn't use any. There is two types of people, the ones that like to mod the game and the ones that dont. The ones that like the mods want the mods they pick to work together, I dont think they care much about the production chain as long as it has some balance and is not too complicated. But if they dont want to follow the chain they can trade firewood for anything or use debug tool to add stuff. Well that's what I think. But there will always be people who like 15 different colors of building for example and they just can never be pleased, or want diffrent trees or grass or fence and such.. :-\ We can start adding ideas for production chain and see how it goes, even thought most of things have a chain already :)

brads3

where is the code guy from last week? did i scare him away? we need a hardware suppy store that only the builder can take stuff from.then send all these items to it ike the wharehousesassign 3 workers to the hardware store who work as 3 builders who use these items to build.

RedKetchup

a part of the problem about your pictures posted at top is : to find good textures images.
we often see picture on the internet, but 99,999% they are unusable. they need to be took at 100% perpendicular, absolutely 0 tilt, no extra shadows, no extra reflect of light from the sun and any reflective material which would reflect sun/sky. and they need to be seamless so the top match the bottom, and the left match the right edges.

this is why we often see cool pictures... but we cannot do.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

brads3

<<< raises hand sheepishly "teacher,where do we find the 5th modder to do this? what kind of rope you got to tie him/her up with?"

don't take that wrong ,was ment as a friendly joke.

KIM16

Of course the textures dont have to be the ones I used as an example, it can look however the modder choses. I thought if it is a plank wall then the building material shouldnt be stone or brick. A lot of buildings in game made from stone need only log to build, that makes no sence.