Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Mathieuso Furnace Version 2

Started by slink, November 05, 2014, 03:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slink

Mathieuso Furnace Version 1

http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=30

This furnace burns four wood into one coal.  No blueprints are required.

Version 2 adds a profession of wood burner, and increases the speed of production of coal from the logs to equal that of making tools.

irrelevant

JamieIdle2.0

slink

Yes, that is wood as in logs.  Logs are worth 2 and coal is worth 6.  I figured that a fee of 2 was reasonable, so that is 8 which is 4 logs.  A laborer is required to tend the furnace.

Let me know if it takes too long for the coal to be made.

irrelevant

So cool! I'm very impressed.

What's next, turning hearts into stone?   ;);D

slink

I considered making a transmutation laboratory from the inventor's workshop, but that seemed a little futuristic to me.   ;D

Denis de la Rive

Having used this, I am happy you found a way to make it work, it is visually interesting and a source of coal for those wanting to avoid mining.

We do SF around here so I should have the plans for a gold making instrument around, maybe in the time machine.  ;)

Will add this to the testing list and repot.  :)

rkelly17

Quote from: slink on November 05, 2014, 03:41:21 PM
Mathieuso Furnace Version 1

http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=30

This furnace burns four wood into one coal.  No blueprints are required.

Yes! Now I don't have to trade for coal so @RedKetchup's monks can make books. I'll build one of these babies right next to the monastery.

Paeng

Cool, that's a really nice and useful addon  :D

Question about the needed job - it looks as if a laborer is assigned (automatically)?
I do not need to assign a worker or a profession?

* Tried to assign a Miner, but...

Yeah, production is very slow - but that is not necessarily a bad thing... With all the new mods around the general production rate is already very very high  ;)
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

slink

It uses nothing but laborers.  I see that it can't be changed.   Maybe I should edit that so it can be reduced to zero.

In the meantime, I am looking for feedback on the speed of production so any thoughts on that would be welcome.   :)

Paeng

Quote from: slink on November 06, 2014, 01:56:51 PMthe speed of production

I let it run for 3 seasons... the furnace produces 12 coal/season.
* Laborer's house right next door, markets, stockpiles, blacksmith all within striking distance... all were served coal at some point, but some of it took really long - basically half of the produced coal still sat around unused after the 3 seasons... though take this with a grain of salt - it is a large test city, where nothing is really well organized...

You could probably raise the output some...

But a nice pic to round it off...  ;)

slink

Thanks, @Paeng.  I need to work on my bread dough now, so it probably will be later or even tomorrow when I get back to this.

Denis de la Rive

I also tested it today, works just like the original, I agree a slow production rate is not a problem, some people might object to the fact production is not recorded as you can see in the image below, took several years to show, and only with a partial result. If you are thinking of making changes, you could try using the miner profession instead of a laborer, Mathieuso did that with the gathers, using the miner and stonecutter professions, I think he just didn't want to create a new profession for this building. That would make it easier to control the worker usage.  :)

Paeng

Quote from: slink on November 06, 2014, 04:10:35 PMit probably will be later or even tomorrow when I get back to this.

Take your time  :) 

Quote from: Denis de la Rive on November 06, 2014, 07:38:29 PMyou could try using the miner profession instead of a laborer

I been musing about this (using only laborers) - once you have built a few  furnaces out in the forests, how will your labor force react? I mean how high a priority will a furnace have, when there are millions of other jobs lined up - without a professional who is assigned that particular job? I might be missing some 'mechanics' here...  :)

rkelly17

I'm not sure it would be a good idea to use a miner--they would probably still be subject to the incredibly high death rate and it would look odd to see one of them crushed in a cave-in while working the charcoal furnace. Personally I'm good with the production rate because I'm only using it for monks to make books and I don't want them going crazy.