News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

THE NORTH 6

Started by Tom Sawyer, December 09, 2017, 01:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Sawyer

That's the plan, Brad. I changed ale and mead to foodstuff to make it more important but it was before the happiness find. If it now can have a relevant effect then I think it should work in the original way. Both as food and alcohol doesn't really work, so I have to decide. Question is if it will be really worth to produce even with this effect. It's hard to balance because it costs food to produce more below the line and entertainment is only 1 of 5 aspects. But I want to try.

Debug we discussed at times and probably there will not be a consensus. For me it's a developer tool and not a part of the final game. It breaks all mechanics and makes balancing effort meaningless. I understand why many people love it but I find it also worth to keep it away. At least from this mod which has a focus on survival and to offer a challenging modded Banished besides pure vanilla. I'm also not the only modder who fixed the debug hack.

liberty152

I completely understand.

brads3

HOW much of the happiness have you unlocked ,and can make it affect the game?i do agree that happiness and health aren't as big of importance as they should be.

darnokthemage

Could a new "Sami" level or a "trapper" level be added as an option to begin the game with. Maybe starts with some traps, two reindeers, food and a goahti. Some more Sami things in general would be really fun for the mod, maybe make reindeers drop horns that can be crafted into trade goods in a goathi expansion.

Tom Sawyer

These are great ideas @darnokthemage. Both a trapper start as well as one for Sami people or reindeer herders. The second is close to the shepherd start but can include some interesting differences or even replace it. With trappers the problem is that actually fur trading is not a working strategy in very early game where even with a cart full of traps or a trapper cabin being built you will have to do a lot other things instead of this. Or it needs some changes to become a starting scenario. The idea is really cool, especially in this theme.

Such a goahti I already started in Sketchup some time ago to include a very early game dwelling for surviving the first year in hard conditions. Then put it aside and made a bigger turf house for the same purpose and easier balancing. Maybe a good idea to dig out the old sketch.

Turis

darnokthemage

The fur trade in general needs to be more important, because it was almost the only trade goods that the people in northern Sweden that was worth something. Maybe sami traders bearing fur goods that you can buy and later sell would be nice. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birkarls The Birkarls were traders and taxmen in northern Sweden which had the privilege to tax and trade with the local sami, it would be interesting to see this represented in the game somewhere.

Nilla

QuoteI think about a small "spring update" soon

How soon is soon? I'm thinking of starting a new game combining the North with some DSmods. Should I wait for this update?

By the way; I like the thought of building a "sami settlement".

Turis

I'm sorry, but, I don't mess with peaceful natives.

Tom Sawyer

It will be next week @Nilla. I want to post a first download here to let you do a test flight. And everyone else too, of course. :)

Nilla

OK, I´ll wait for it! :)

Turis

@Tom Sawyer Don't give it to @Nilla . I want it first.

Tom Sawyer

North 6.1 "Spring Update" - Beta

As promised and still this week my little spring update as beta version. ;D

The final version will be released on Steam after your feedback. First, it's a small update and doesn't come with many new items. The models I'm working on are for the Viking themed version 7. This update is mainly about happiness, bug fixing and better compatibility. Nevertheless, there is a rather long list of changes and I want to make a list here to let you know. If you find playing more exciting than reading, just download NorthBeta.zip.

New Buildings and Resources

The Tannery is now included to process hides into leather. Also the Woodcutter Cabin as workplace to chop down trees in early game before forestry is invented.

I made a Sauna to improve the quality of life for villagers (happiness: health) from pictures sent by a player. It's a typical construction from Finland and Russia.

The Ale House is a new building matching the Nordic log cabins and used to brew and serve alcohol before the modern tavern can be built.

Lamp Oil is added as light source for mining and tunneling and Tallow from animals is now the old raw material for lamp oil in the North. Later and in the DS industry mod it can be also made from other resources.

Reworked Happiness

As we talked about it, I changed happiness values to make it relevant in game. I want to make a detailed post about this topic later. In short it makes people starting with 3 stars and demanding all aspects to get full happiness. It takes a month until they recognize that it's not only fun in Banished land (to be calculated the first time).

I decided to keep this change separate in this version and to include it in Norseman and Ironman instead. So it has to be "activated" by one of these aging mods or not if you don't like. That means, other aging mods can still be used, green marked with the North and the happiness change can also be tested in any other scenario using one of these citizen mods.

For this step I had to change alcohol back for drinking only. It is no foodstuff anymore but now it makes sense to use it in the vanilla way and you will not reach 100% happiness without it. If not a big theater covers entertainment. :)

New Storage Function

The Gatherer Shelter can now store wild food (Fruit | Vegetable) and the Trapper Cabin can store furs (Textiles). So workers finally interact with their buildings. Thanks to @Yandersen for breaking the wall to this small but nice feature!

The Herbalist's Cabin I reworked as single object with storage for herbs. It was a nice idea with a home for the herbalist but many people had problems with this combined object or just built the flying roof. I think simple is better in this case and also reasonable with the new storage function.

More Gameplay Changes

A new starting condition is added for Trappers going for a fur trade venture in a Nordic forest area.

Clay spots are now completely removable after digging. It was realistic but also made it inconvenient to use and annoying to think where to place this later unusable spot. It stops after 12 clay and I don't think it will be misused much for endless resources.

The quarry can now be built on lower hills but still requiring this special terrain while lowland is depositing clay.

The charcoal pit is reduced to 3 x 3 game tiles and detracts happiness in a small radius. The risk of black lung is reduced to the chance a hunter is killed by a bear.

Bee Yards don't need sugar anymore with slightly lowered yield of honey and still requiring bee hives to get started. A modern bee house using sugar as winter food for higher productivity might come later. Honey is now counted as grain (carb) to complete the hunter-gatherers diet.

The Wooden Chapel works now for happiness (without a priest) while the Village Church is workplace of a priest for higher impact on happiness. Both chapel and church still attract nomads and you can build as many as you want.

Iron Bloom is now uncategorized to not confuse iron in overview and limit. Many questions came to this issue and it works better now. The bloomery still follows the iron limit and will stop if enough iron is forged in smithies.

Pastures and chicken coops can now be run without full time worker to support micromanaged farmsteads in early game or A&E scenarios. Eggs, milk and wool are picked up by laborers and people can slaughter animals from time to time. In a growing settlement it is still better to add a full time herder.

I have adjusted the merchants and gave them names to make more clear where they come from and what they want to buy. I tried to create a kind of Viking or medieval scenario using the small trading dock while the vanilla post works money based in a rather industrial scenario.

Salmon and Trout are back in this version. People were missing it and I don't mind to have them for a nice atmosphere. Of course it can need a bit more management of fish processing.

Also gold mining is back as third option. It's possible by changed trade values. All currencies are split once more for easy trading:

• Gold = 200, now representing a gold nugget weighing an eighth ounce.
  • Silver = 10 in form of a silver coin or 1.5 gram hacksilver as smallest unit for trading in old days.
  • Penny = 1 for exact trades and (in theory) made from copper instead of pure silver.
  • Daler = 100 as suitable big coin.

Visuals and Interface

The terrain texture is adjusted again to finally fix supersaturated greens on certain displays.

The new willow herb model is included. Fully compatible with the Natural Diversity Light mod by Bartender, still green in mod list and adding new species besides the Nordic herb.

Happiness circles are added to all relevant objects (sauna, wells, market, docks, chapels, taverns, charcoal pit, brickyard, glass factory, mine and quarry).

Town names now allow up to 30 characters including Nordic and German letters (which needs cheat engine to hack it into the game but at least the letters are now supported).

Bug Fixes

Fixed a bug that caused a crash when the mine was destroyed by a disaster.
Fixed terrain flatting decorative items.
Fixed the warehouse profession.

Compatibility

We have reworked and included the DS Jetty and Bridges Patch for better integration. Players don't need to deal with an external compatibility mod anymore. Also I did some adjusting of resource categories to come closer to CC flags. Almost all storage conflicts should be solved now.

Separate Citizen Mods

Both Norseman as standard difficulty and Ironman for players who are bored by easy conditions got new versions supporting the happiness change. There are also some more adjustment, for example to slow down child bearing in real time aging. Also, the race you are playing is now shown in your map options. So choose your people!

Norseman or Ironman  :)

Discrepancy

Thank you @Tom Sawyer for this update :)
You have done great work. Thanks for including the jetty patch, it will make it easier for players.

I am close to finalizing my mod: DS Industry Mining in the North
The current stage is going through checking all the stringtable texts for faults and doing final adjustments to production building work times.

Nilla

Thanks! I downloaded these changes yesterday but hadn't time to start a game but will later this afternoon! Looking forward on this! :)