News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Nilla- Bowmorettown

Started by Nilla, February 06, 2019, 06:52:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

I actually started the new game yesterday. I just played a few years. Again only RKEd but this time a medium lake map. I think this will solve some of my hunting problems. I wanted to have a little "fun" at the beginning so I started a "Jack and Jill" game. They have nothing to start with.

First picture
I've cut in the map and start options.

The start is certainly tough. Both the freezing sign and the starving sign appeared, but the spring got warmer, the wood is full of food and they both manage to survive.

I built the shed first. The stupid Bannis can't eat directly from the wood. They need to put their food in a store first.

Second picture
What are these bears doing? Raiding the food store or killing a "prey" before it's winter sleeping time?

The bears went away and the family survived with enough store. After the house I built the blacksmith (took a long time; food and firewood need to be collected along with a lot of building material). The clothes are in rags: the tailor need lumber so a lumber mill was built.

Third picture
I was happy that the first child was a girl but she was 10 years before she got a brother. This will be a slow growing settlement. I want as many as I can, to be educated, so after the tailor we will build a school. It will not make it grow faster but that doesn't matter to me in this game.

Artfactial

Nice!
Jack & Jill looks really tough.
I've done a few tries with Adam&Eve with 1 Year is 1 Year, it take sages to get something done and everything needs to be micromanaged between the few Bannies you have.

Looks like a good start!

RedKetchup

those jack and jill are crazy difficult.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Nilla

Jack and Jill is indeed a challenge. You also need patience. Everything takes a long time. I wouldn't want to play it with a "real time ageing" mod.

I got really inspired by @Artfactials records on his population. I've tried this before but always got lost after a few generations. This time I've decided to make it different and give them family names. I will not make it traditionally historically correct, where the man's name is dominating. I'll give the boys the name of the father and the girl the names of the mother and follow the alphabet and use names of trees (in Swedish). This is a totally inbred community and there were always an Asp marrying a Björk until the first nomads from the far south arrived; named Citron and Daddel. ;) I also make a note on the generation and the relationship of the couple. More than 3. cousins are not seen as related anymore.

So far this is quite a perfect game @brads! ;)

First and second picture
Year 8. 8 terribly inbred inhabitants.

A lot of micromanagement. It would have worked with less buildings; there's not enough people to run them all anyway, but I want the people busy. When the basic needs are fulfilled, they collect building material and when there's enough we build something, we will need in the future. You can see the footprints of the upcoming buildings.

Third picture
Year 12. The population has grown to 13. The initial couple, both around 80 years old are still alive.

The buildings that were planned in year 8 are built and a few more. The next plan is huge; a lighthouse!

Fourth and fifth picture
Year 17.
It took a few years to build this beautiful lighthouse and now we have statistics.

The first seed merchant brought rye. That's a good first seed. I've filled the port with firewood, so I can buy it but decided not to. I will run this settlement without conventional farming and the firewood (and meat) will eventually leave the port. Too dull to trade with. There are so many other more fun options in this mod for trade.

The picture also shows my strategy to grow; I keep track of the female students. Sometimes around 14 I build a house almost ready, stop it and finish it, as soon as she's an adult. There has been more men than women almost all the time, so she normally have several men to choose among.

Sixth picture
Year 18

This is what I'll do instead of conventional farming. (Together with my beloved meadow/stable/greenhouses later in the game when we have more people to run the sites.)

brads3

i may harrass you but am very glad you are back. your input on balancing outputs will be very helpful.

Nilla

Keep on harassing @brads3, that´s part of the fun. From time to time there might be something in return. ;)

I was so busy keeping records of my population, that I forgot to make any screenshots yesterday. I´m surprised to see, that I still can keep the record of the people but I´ve given up the attempt, to figure out, how they are related. That´s too complicated. They are usually related in several ways. It looks like someone can be his own uncle.  :P :o

The pictures are all from where I stopped in year 26. The settlement is nice and prosperous.

First picture
Overview of the settlement. Pretty much everything is shown on this picture, except the lighthouse.........

Second picture
..... but you can see, it´s not too far away. It attracted nomads twice. So besides the initial Asp and Björk and the well established immigrant families named Citron and Daddel, we now also have some people with the name of Ek, Fur, Gran and Hägg.

I plan to fill the space between the village and the lighthouse with a canal, to connect the second lake to the river.

Third picture
The village centre. You may see, that many (but not all) houses are red. That´s on purpose. It´s no myth that Swedish houses in the countryside are red and white. In my village there is one green, one blue and one brown house, the rest are red.

I show you my inventory. You can see, that I process as much food as I can.

Fourth picture
Dock settlement. Unfortunately, this is a segregated settlement. The nomads all live here. I like to know, where I have my uneducated people. You can see on the food graph, that it´s a healthy settlement. The weird V-shape came as all food was transported to the market.

Language:
After a recommendation from @Tonje, I downloaded the language app Grammarly. As far as I can see, it´s good at spell checking. It also corrects a few grammar mistakes but is useless, when it comes to commas. I first wrote this thread without one single comma; no comment from Grammarly. I might set the one or other comma too many, but I´m pretty sure, that most of them belong, where I sat them.

RedKetchup

lol 2nd or 3 rd person i see in few days who use the dock stairs to go down to the land !
i need to check that but you should not.

stairs is for to go down from coastal docks to walking dock. not for going up to coastal dock from the ground. on the ground you should use coastal dock till you hit your road !!

like this:

also in your last screenshot. look at all the bags of rice... bucket of watercress... crate of cranberries...
you know they are an obstacle till they havent been picked up. and obstacles are blocking pathways and pathfinding.

when they can go around the obstacles that can be ok, but if they cannot ? you will get homeless/jobless/whatever_path_block_things.
you didnt use walking docks. walking docks are the streets of your dock town. and make a town without streets... over the water... can be bad ^^

brads3

don't harrass me today, RED sent a gremlin to fight with me already.

Tonje

This looks like a real challenge indeed! I've looked at your pictures and your tiny settlement looks very nice. I'm gonna follow this thread.
Quote from: Nilla on February 08, 2019, 07:32:35 AM
Language:
After a recommendation from @Tonje, I downloaded the language app Grammarly. As far as I can see, it´s good at spell checking. It also corrects a few grammar mistakes but is useless, when it comes to commas. I first wrote this thread without one single comma; no comment from Grammarly. I might set the one or other comma too many, but I´m pretty sure, that most of them belong, where I sat them.

If you compare English with Swedish/Norwegian... the English language use very few commas. I like the way we use commas - it gives our sentences some breathing room. As far as I understand it, they don't use commas before the word "but". We always have a comma before "but" in Norwegian and, as far as I recall, it is the same in Swedish. I find it hard to read long sentences without commas.

For me Grammarly is better to have than not. When I write on my story, which I write in past tense (had, walked, said) but all dialog is in present tense (have, walk, say), Grammarly helps me keep track of the that. And, and as you said, its good for spell checking. Another thing is that the app can help you find synonyms for words you've used. Which, in my opinion, it very helpful. I'm still learning.

Nilla

OK, thank you Red, I´ll think about it a bit more. But why don´t you like, that the stairs are used from land to the high dock part? I use them the way you want as well as you can see in my second picture. I find both ways good.

I´m still registering my population. I´ve decided to make it until it reaches 150 inhabitants. It´s a bit tedious now, many births and marriages to register each year. I use to stop at the beginning of each year, to make my notes. It´s fun to see, how some families get dominating (Asp and Daddel) while others almost disappear.

The pictures are all from year 33. Everything works fine, developing in a sustainable way.

First picture
Overall view. Finally, I have enough people to build my favourite meadow. I´ve also noticed, that the pigs make a great deal of fertilizer. Maybe easier to produce this way, than with the more complicated stable chain. I will keep an extra eye on this.

Second picture
At the bottom of the picture, you can see the stairs built in the way they were planned to be used. If I want to build anything behind the small fields on the docks, I guess I need to broaden the pathway but at the moment, there are only these two fields and it looks like people also walk on the fields, if they need to pass.

I´ve also started to build some town blocks with corner and NMT buildings. It´s not so easy. I´ve made a few mistakes as you can see in this picture. This mistake I will leave the way it is, I can live with one house out of the row, but I have torn down another really bad mistake, where I built a 2. floor NMT house on the top of the corner building.  :-[ That looked too bad.

Third picture
Here I should definitely have built the main road to the market broader. I´ll think about it in the future. You can see in the inventory, that the dock farms are producing well. Too much? I don´t know. One farmer produces less than he can on a normal field but the small surface gives much more food than the same size field, especially if you use 2 farmers. What about taking the possibility away, to use more than 1 farmer on these small fields in a future update, @RedKetchup?

RedKetchup

i think they are producing good when you are building on a lake, there are not a lot of possibilities playing a large lakes map.

Artfactial

Lovely.
Those dock farms are impressive indeed!:)

Nilla

This time I will try to write a little story. I know, it´s not my strength but this map/mod inspires. Like a true child book, (remember, I´m a grandmother now  ;) :) ) the story is cut into the pictures.

The second last pictures also show the menus. In the fifth, you can see the whole Bear Corner and in the last, you can see the building material/greenhouse production corner. Clay, sand and fertilizer are stored together and it makes everything easier to locate these sites close to each other. I´m a bit behind building houses. It´s mostly brick NMT houses now, and it takes some time to produce enough bricks.

RedKetchup

nice story !

thanks you grandma Nilla! :)

Artfactial