News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Pairing Up

Started by slink, May 21, 2014, 06:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slink

@solarscreen suggested an experiment, where everyone is evicted from their houses and left homeless for one season.  I am not sure what his purpose was for this, but I tried it on a colony with a population in the mid-900s. 

In Spring, there were 558 families and 272 houses.  There was an empty boarding house, and zero homeless.  I paused the game and evicted everyone, including marking the boarding house as unusable.

In Summer I reclaimed all of the houses, and the boarding house.  There were now about 511 families.  There were about a dozen people in the boarding house, and 177 homeless.  I think many people paired off while they were homeless, and could not go back into their birth-family homes when the houses were reclaimed. 

That map doesn't have room for more houses so I can't explore the situation very well.  It's an easy experiment to do, though.  I actually did it twice because I had forgotten to note the number of homeless the first time.

solarscreen

You were quite short on houses to start with there but making 900 people homeless!  Wow!
I was wondering how it would affect 100 or so people when you want to shake things up!

Thanks for giving it a go!  177 homeless is a bit of a mess though.
Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

slink

I did it in Soloma, where there were 459 laborers to begin with.  I played it on x10.  It was a most amusing sight, with all those little yellow houses running like water in streams, to empty the evicted houses of all possessions.  I checked the starting version again, and there were ten more people before I started than when I ended, so ten died during the season.  It was just on the start of the downside of a population wave.  That's really unavoidable in this game, no matter how carefully one builds houses, because there is no emigration and no three-generation houses.

rkelly17

Seriously, @slink, you send 900+ people out into the bush to sleep rough and you're surprised that a bunch of them paired up and can't go home to their parents?  ;D

slink

Put like that, @rkelly17, it is no big surprise.  ;D  But if you just evict a few families and immediately reclaim the houses, oftentimes they will all just go back into their same houses with their families intact.  I am guessing that @solarscreen wanted the test run to see how long it takes for homeless people to pair up.  It might only take one month, but three months is certain.

I did not save the copy with the 177 homeless, by the way.  That was too much of a mess.

mariesalias

Quite an impressive test! 

I am not so surprised that people paired up, though I had not been thinking about that aspect of the evictions at all. You obviously had a bunch of people wanting/waiting to pair up. :D

I wish I understood better the logistics of people pairing up in Banished better. There are obviously some standard rules in place, but then there is also a randomness about the choices, too that I still have not been able to figure out.

rkelly17

Last night I once again let the obsessive beast loose and was tracking families and pairing up pretty closely. I started on easy so I had 6 families in 6 houses--easier to track. Several kids aged-up before I could get the school built, so there was a backlog of "adults" waiting to pair up when I built the first house. I can report that it is not necessarily the people who have been waiting the longest who pair up and move into a new house. In the first house I built it was the longest waiting male with one of the 2 longest waiting females. Then the other longest waiting female did not pair up with the next male. Instead a female who had just graduated (and was 2 years younger than the other waiting female) moved in with a still-student male, leaving a graduate male waiting. That male moved into the next house with a female who had been waiting a bit (the longest waiting female was this male's sister, but I've seen brothers and sisters pair up in previous games of Banished). Finally in the next house the longest-waiting female paired up with a not-so-recent graduate.

So, what conclusions can be drawn? I have no idea. Put a little yellow question mark icon over my head.

mariesalias

Exactly! Sometimes it just makes no sense! Though I do sort of like the seeming randomness of the unexpected pairings because it makes it appear more like there are real choices going on. Though when I have unbalanced genders, this behavior can annoy me greatly! ;D

rkelly17

I mentioned this in another thread, but last night I saw something I've never seen before. In my current town I have, at the moment, more eligible males than females. Many pair up with olde students, but many are waiting until after 30 to pair up--it is most definitely not the case that he longest-waiting is the first to pair up. Then a 30ish single male moved into an open house all by himself.

Something else I'd never seen before from the beginnings of the same town: I built the school quite early. Only 2 people had aged up prior, both female and each was living alone (I built 6 houses to start and the first 4 were taken by the 4 families on hard). When the first male entered school at 10 he immediately paired up with one of the females who was about 12 or 13. The second male to enter school at 10 immediately paired up with the other female who was about 13 or 14. Since the two females were already adults they started having babies ASAP. I'd seen a lot of students pair up when they had 1 or 2 seasons left in school, but never before had I seen a student pair up the moment s/he entered school.

I'm starting to develop a theory that these people were Banished because they were members of a small religious group that had unpopular ideas about who should be allowed to pair up with whom. They may also have had notions of grieving that were considered odd, i.e., you spend a lot of time in the cemetery but when your partner dies you remarry instantly.

mariesalias

I am guessing they mated up like that so early because it was the beginning of the game? I have read other people say that they do more unexpected stuff like this earlier in the game.

rkelly17

True, @mariesalias. These were the first houses on hard. The two young women aged-up to 10 before I built the school. The next in line turned 10 just after I finished the school. If I hadn't finished the school they would have been "adults." I have discovered that brother and sister will pair up at least as late as year 17 when there are others available. Look for a crisis in an upcoming installment of the Allberger Diaries! I mean marrying your aunt or your cousin is one thing, but your SISTER!

slink

Obviously they are destined to rule, and your colony's name is Egypt.  *grin*

rkelly17

And the family name was Hapsburg.

CathyM

I realize this might be a defunct topic, but I appreciate the info that slink posted - I've been very confused about the pairings and also quite frustrated that many single males were claiming homes and never pairing up, even when there are several females available! I wonder if anyone can tell me how to "evict" from houses other than the wooden ones? Those I can upgrade, but I hate to just destroy the houses to evict folks - is that what you did, slink?

I hadn't thought about "waiting the longest"... I'll have to test that with one of my small villages. I really don't think I had this problem with the vanilla game - just once I added mods (see my separate new topic on this). OTOH, I didn't get that far with the vanilla game, once I found all these mods!!  ;D

rkelly17

To evict, mark the house for destruction but then restore it before the builders actually tear it down. That will usually do the trick--but, unless you correct the underlying problem that caused the behavior in the first place, the unwanted tenant might just move back in. The usual reason for people who seem to be single to move into a house by themselves is that you have more houses than "families." If you have not yet built a town hall it can be laborious to check, but it is worth doing. Open each house and count the adults living there. Don't build houses until they are actually needed. If you have a town hall, the town hall window will show you how many houses you have and how many "families." I put that in quotes because the game simply counts up adults still living with their parents and so the number is often not accurate at lower populations. At any rate, try to avoid having more houses than families. That should cure the singles moving into vacant houses. Remember, when you are building, every house built removes two "families," since the game has counted each adult as a "family."