News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

DS Timber Mill v2.2 (updated 29 July 2019)

Started by Discrepancy, December 11, 2017, 04:08:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Discrepancy

it was called DS Lumber Mill, but after a name change, a UI face-lift and a few other goodies added,
it is now known as:

DSTimber Mill
as of v2.2, the mod is named: DSTimberMill.pkm - do not use with DSLumberMill.pkm

• Timber Mill - produces Timber from Logs (2 log for 4-5 timber), or firewood (1 logs or 2 timber = 6 firewood), employs 2 woodcutters | workrequired=2 time=5.2
    • Timber Saw-Mill - upgrade of Timber Mill, employs 3 woodcutters | workrequired=2 time=4.2
  • Timber Mill Pine Forester - forester that plants pine trees only, slightly quicker maturity than vanilla (36months), less spawned foods than vanilla
  • Timber Mill Birch Forester - forester that plants birch trees only, slightly quicker maturity than vanilla (38months), less spawned foods than vanilla, but more than pine forester
  • Timber Storage Pile - building materials storage flag (custom5) | footprint 1x1 | capacity 300 weight
  • 1x2 & 2x2 Log Storage Piles - wood storage flag | footprint 1x2/2x2 | capacity 600/1200 weight
  • ghosted Timber & Log Storage Piles - ghosted versions of the above, all at ground level, they are purely for decoration, you must delete via objects UI
  • modular Timber Mill Wharf - 1x1, 1x2, 2x2, 4x2, corners and angles | 2 texture variants, now split into separate toolbar menus
  • Timber - resource, used in construction, also known as Lumber (RawMaterialLumber.rsc) | flagged as building material (custom5) resource flag limit
  • Iron Fittings - resource, used in construction | flagged as Metals, Alloys & Forged (custom1) resource flag limit

all buildings (timber mill, foresters & storage places) have a reworked UI,
and now have an included info tab to give you some building & resource information in-game:

v2.1  limits are now in a tab:

all deco pieces now have a demolish/remove button in UI:

Change Log:

version 2.2 - update   -- 20190729  |  .zip = 12.3mb (12,658kb)   .pkm = 19.7mb (20,238kb)
          - renamed mod to DSTimberMill.pkm and re-wrote some mod file structures, this is not save-compatible with previous version.
          - increased the work time of the standard banished CutterYard, and altered production in-line with DS Industry Mining.
          - altered Firewood create count to 6, value is 2, in-line with DS Industry Mining.
          - altered Timber values, in-line with DS Industry Mining (create 4-5, value 3-5).
          - increased the work time, reduced work required of the Timber Mill.
          - increased the spawn chance of the Birch & Pine forester trees.
          - reduced the total number of woodcutters to 2 at the Timber Mill.
          - altered the Timber Mill input production - Timber requires 1 Log, Firewood requires 1 Log or 2 Timber.
          - various UI, text and tool-tip changes.
          - added Timber Saw-Mill, an upgrade build option to the Timber Mill for a faster production, 3 woodcutters.
          - added resource: Iron Fittings, required as a construction cost when upgrading to the Timber Saw-Mill.

version 2.1 - update   -- 20180613  |  .pkm = 13.3mb (13,621kb)
          - changed RawMaterialLumber.rsc storage flag back to custom5 limit (building materials)
          - changed storage of 1x1 lumber pile to match resource change.
          - updated UI texts.
          - updated resource files
          - changed firewood production quantity to 6-8, Timber 2-3
          - changes to vanilla woodcutter production.

version 2.0 - major update   -- 20180516  |  .pkm = 13.3mb (13,628kb)
          - change of mod name to Timber Mill, .pkm file remains DSLumberMill.pkm
          - change of resource string name for RawMaterialLumber.rsc to Timber
          - change of building names & texts from lumber to timber
          - changed deco versions of log piles to ghosted pieces
          - changed RawMaterialLumber.rsc storage flag to wood limit
          - changes to toolbar icons & texts
          - changed wharf pieces - textures split into separate toolbar buttons
          - changes to all file structures, names, removal of unneeded code
          - changes to timber mill: work points, building speeds, construction & production
          - added Pine & Birch forester buildings
          - added storage versions of log piles

version 1.1 - update   -- 20180412  |  .pkm = 11.2mb (11,548kb)
          - added 2nd texture variant for lumber mill and wharf pieces.
          - updated lumber template file and production cost.
          - updated new lumber mesh files.
          - texture file and material changes.
          - DS toolbar file update.

version 1.0 - initial release   -- 20171211  |  .pkm = 8.95mb (9,166kb)

Latest version:  2.2  -  29 July 2019

Download: DS Timber Mill v2.2 from here.
**remember, the mod file name is now called DSTimberMill.pkm  ;)

pappa

Maldrick

Looks nice, @Discrepancy !

Thank you and welcome back, as well.
"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."
― Ezio Auditore da Firenze

galensgranny

Very nice!  Thanks for making something else for the game!  :)

adelegarland

As Always, Perfect!    I'm so glad you are back, Can I ask a favor?  Your Celtic House, the round one, can you make a smaller version?  Please????   Thanks DS. 
I am not a crazy cat lady...  I'm THE Crazy Cat Lady.

Gatherer

HO! HO! HO! Christmas came early!

Loving it 8)
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

Discrepancy

Feedback. Always welcome.

(my own...)
I'm using the CC values for the lumber, but i think maybe they are not of value to build with.
And consequently i have made the wharf sections too expensive.?

Stone Bridge will be out soon... before Christmas. It will require Lumber, and Stone.

Quote from: adelegarland on December 11, 2017, 09:47:01 AMCan I ask a favor?  Your Celtic House, the round one, can you make a smaller version?  Please????
yes, in the works.

Maldrick

Quote from: Discrepancy on December 11, 2017, 11:26:00 PM
I'm using the CC values for the lumber, but i think maybe they are not of value to build with.
And consequently i have made the wharf sections too expensive.?

Haven't played with CC extensively, but I just tested a bunch of lumber producers for a big set I put together.  Balance is all over the place, really. Was just going to see how it worked in-game.  I'll load yours and check it out too, when I do.  I'm giving it a few days to let the freshness of testing wear off before I sink in.

Quote from: Discrepancy on December 11, 2017, 11:26:00 PM
Stone Bridge will be out soon... before Christmas. It will require Lumber, and Stone.

Christmas in time for Christmas.  Happy dance! :P. Been in love with that bridge since it was in the dock set beta and was credibly concerned we might never see it.  Looking forward to it!
"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."
― Ezio Auditore da Firenze

Tom Sawyer

Tried it on a Nordic map. Looks great and also works at the first glance, even with CC flagging code inside. A pity I don't have a use of lumber.^^ What about a floor definition to let them walk in/on the mill? :)

I did not think about balancing of lumber mills yet but I find the CC values reasonable. Probably it means a lost of material by sawing from 6 to 5 and wasting by uneducated workers of 20%. Maybe I would remove this lost of wood. The work time setting is exactly the same like I use for my watermill (4/2).

ancientmuse

I was wondering about the logs to lumber ratios.

In the real world you usually get anywhere from 2 to 4 planks of lumber from one log when you cut it lengthwise.  Lumber planks are 1-2 inches thick, so depending on thickness of the log, you get a few planks from it. 

So the ratios where it takes more logs to make less lumber in Banished (and CC) always had me kind of scratching my head... shouldn't it be the other way around ?

Tom Sawyer

Yes, for the feeling it sounds better to make more lumber from a log. But actually it depends on the usage of lumber as building material. If a house needs 30 logs to be built and another house with the same dimensions made from lumber needs 30 as well then it is wood in different forms but in the same amount and processed in the ratio 1:1. Imagined as a pile of boards and planks made from one log and with the same weight (storage capacity). That's probably the simplest solution in game. If lumber is made from logs in a higher ratio then it should also be used in a higher ratio as material to be logical. If 1:2 then this house should need about 60 lumber but this way it is not used in mods as far as I know. :)

Discrepancy

Updated to: v1.1
        -  added 2nd texture variant for lumber mill and wharf pieces.
        -  updated lumber template file and production cost.
        -  updated new lumber mesh files.
        -  texture file and material changes.
        -  DS toolbar file update.

elemental

The link is taking me to a download for v1.0, not v1.1.

Hawk

[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]

[color=#800000][i]Yes, I can multitask. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.[/i][/color]

TheOtherMicheal

Yes, I checked it also and as @elemental and @Hawk have said, the link is still version 1.0 (I checked in game to see if I could get the second texture and no luck).