Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

What did you have for dinner/lunch?

Started by Nilla, September 07, 2015, 04:59:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

assobanana76

Quote from: Nilla on September 18, 2015, 12:25:27 PM
Quote from: A Nonny Moose on September 18, 2015, 10:24:31 AM

Watch out for the chef types, they say the darnedest things.

That you must explain to a poor non English speaking person. Google Translate doesn't say anything about the world darnedest and I'm not familiar with that world either. Swedish is a small language. Others than German or French, no films (maybe except films for really small children) are synchronized. They are always shown in original language with subtitles. That's the reason I know, and understand a lot of English words. (I can admit that I have big problems to put the words together in a proper manner :(  :-[  ) But on that word , I never stumbled.

lol apparently I'm not the only one to get angry with Google Translate!  ;D
in Italy all movies are translate and for this reason English is not widely known in Italy (except for the young people who study it seriously)
I am forced to travel on a mule ;D to find movies / series in the original language with subtitles.
and I must admit that this helped me a lot!
I just spent a long w.e. hosted in the country by a friend who, thanks to couchsurfing.com, hosts at home a lot of people from around the world!
and I was able to amaze me how much my English has improved!
I understood and I did understand from a Danish guy, a Croatian girl, a Hungarian girl and a Korean girl!
really amazing!!
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

A Nonny Moose

Quote from: kee on September 21, 2015, 11:21:09 PM
Only in 'merica. Here in europe we're talking about Alces alces when we say elk.
I have a few independent burger joints nearby who, in my not so humble opinion, walk all over mcD. tastewise but things might be different on your part of the globe. There is something almost... nostalgic... about a visit to that ol' grease shop though.
The McD experience was highly disappointing. 

Anyway the French for moose is orignaux.  This is the European species alces alces commonly called Elk there.  Moose (plural) is endemic in the boreal forests and when imported to places where they have no predators have turned out to be a real nuisance.  Some were imported to the island of Newfoundland and they've regretted it for about a hundred years now.  In New Brunswick and eastern Quebec you have to be careful not to hit one on the highways.  Hitting 1000 Kg of meat on the hoof may kill the animal but will most certainly wreck your vehicle unless you are driving a tank.

In North America, Elk generally refers to the wapiti (Cervus canadensis) which is another big herbivore.  Both of these species are hunted with permits and are sometimes culled, but the flesh is good to eat (with additions of fat in cooking) but is very lean.

For supper tonight I have cold BBQ chicken restes left from Sunday evening when we also enjoyed it cold.  I expect to eat it with a tapas plate preceding of olives, prosciutto, and ham with, perhaps, some woven wheat biscuits (Triscuits).  There isn't much chicken as we did the job on it on Sunday.  If I don't find enough to eat in all this, I have some fresh veggies I bought at the market today that may serve as crudités with some caramelized onion sauce I have.  Being my shopping day, I sometimes take the opportunity to gormandize.  Not a good thing for a diabetic to do, but life is short anyway.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

kee

Death by deer is quite common here in Norway as well. The hunting season for elg, Alces alces begins in a few weeks so you'd better watch out ;)
Being a farmer and forest owner I have a part in a hunting wald of noteable size with a quota of 8 european elks, so I'm quite familiar with the taste. (I don't hunt myself anymore but are entitled to a share of the meat as one of the owners).
Kim Erik

Pangaea

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on September 22, 2015, 10:55:35 AM

Not the least bit surprised ;) It tastes like cardboard. Haven't had it for years either, and if we go out for burgers somewhere, we'll go to 'proper' places instead of McDonald's. Costs much more of course (especially in Scandinavia), but the taste is also much improved.

Nilla

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on September 22, 2015, 10:55:35 AM

I understand that, too. I think the taste is very similar all over the world. I wasn't there for a long time either, but we used to go there as the kids were young. They liked it. We often traveled between south Germany and Sweden, as they were small and McD was a safe way to keep them satisfied. They fought a lot, if they were bored and such a long journey was boring and if they were hungry; it was worse.  ;)

We also eat elk or moose or whatever this animal ought to be called. We don't hunt ourselves, but I'm originally a farm girl and most of my family members hunt. So we always get some meat. Sometimes we buy it the Banished way; my brothers get some fish instead, when my husband catch a lot.

And yes @kee, as the hunting season starts, I prefer not to go into the woods to pick mushrooms or berries, at least not until late in the afternoon. I suppose it's similar in Norway: In some parts of the country the year is divided in before and after the elk hunt. I happened to have my first job in such an area, as i was a young engineer. I even think i got the job, because I don't hunt: I could work that elk hunting week, as everyone else wanted to have vacations.  ;) 

What's today's dinner? Sausage with mashed turnips and a tomato salad. The tomatoes matured late this year, but now we have plenty.

A Nonny Moose

When I worked on maintenance at a McD's the food was much better than it is now.  I understand the uniformity of their system, so one is exactly like another.  One of the things they've stopped is salting the fries, and they've changed the formula for the cooking oil too to what seems to be plain canola when they used to include a bit of beef flavour.  Making some squeaky wheels happy has made me a non-customer.  Funny what happens in 10 years or so.

Supper tonight is problematic.  Yesterday was shopping day, but I cleaned up the cold chicken restes from Sunday, so I have a full stock of stuff.  I am craving a baked potato with goodies so that's probably what I will have.  Now that my sister has left, I can go back to my almost no-meat regimen.  I purchased a fresh cauliflower yesterday and expect to get at least two meals out of it.  I like it raw in a salad as well as steamed as a side veggie.  I also picked up some rather nice beefsteak tomatoes which are getting riper on the window ledge.  It is nearly 2 p.m. and I haven't had lunch.  I guess I'll have to have something quick, because diabetics are not supposed to skip meals.

Bon appetit à tous.

A Nonny Moose

Lunch time.  Yesterday was catch as catch can, but today I had Butternut Squash Soup with buttered (no salt) grain bread as mop, and a glass of Coke Zero.

Dinner is currently a matter of conjecture.