Cities: Skylines

Started by graphite, September 15, 2014, 11:23:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

assobanana76

ok! thank you very much!
you have been really useful!

I remain a question ...
modding ..
then what is making 67 new buildings (is a collection of Steam), then if the game is to decide what to build?
or you can build a single building created with the mod, as well as in "Banished"?

two other thing. all gameplay watched while waiting for your answer, built roads at random, without taking into account the size of the buildings creating isolated "monsters" diagonal with holes in the middle of green .. can not possible construction "precise"?

I see that all build neighborhoods dedicated but why not build mixed neighborhoods with houses, shops, fields etc?
it is so in reality ..

SC4 in fact I had to wishlist .. but .. too .. "square" ..
CS has at least curved roads ..

one last thing .. and the tunnels ???
are possible in "Banished" how is it that they do not have thought ??
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

Rayden

I heard tunnels and some basic terraforming might come later in a patch, ETA, don't know, they are now fixing some important gameplay bugs (very few) but important ones. Later they might then start working on those on wishlists. These are only rumors I read on different forums.

assobanana76

80% of my friendships Steam have or want this game ..
I have to start us a little thought for the summer sales ..  ;D
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

rkelly17

Quote from: assobanana76 on March 17, 2015, 02:46:32 AM
ok! thank you very much!
you have been really useful!

I remain a question ...
modding ..
then what is making 67 new buildings (is a collection of Steam), then if the game is to decide what to build?
or you can build a single building created with the mod, as well as in "Banished"?

two other thing. all gameplay watched while waiting for your answer, built roads at random, without taking into account the size of the buildings creating isolated "monsters" diagonal with holes in the middle of green .. can not possible construction "precise"?

I see that all build neighborhoods dedicated but why not build mixed neighborhoods with houses, shops, fields etc?
it is so in reality ..

SC4 in fact I had to wishlist .. but .. too .. "square" ..
CS has at least curved roads ..

one last thing .. and the tunnels ???
are possible in "Banished" how is it that they do not have thought ??

In most city builders there are two types of buildings, "plopable" and "growable." The only ones you control directly are the plopables, which you "plop." Examples are schools and fire halls. The growables are what grow up in your zones. You have no direct control over these. If you download growable buildings from the Steam workshop these become available to the game and will appear along with the original buildings. You do have some indirect control because growable buildings have different levels. The level of a zoned area depends on the quality of services provided: the better the services, the higher the potential level.

When building roads in C: S you will see four rows of blocks appear alongside the roads. These are the blocks where buildings will grow or can be plopped. Build roads so that the squares from the road you are building touch the squares from the adjacent road and you will get solid development after you zone, provide power and provide water.

Most city builders do not do so well with mixed development. The holy grail among SC4 modders is a building that can have both commercial and residential in the same building. In C: S You can zone those four rows of squares with a tool that will only zone one at a time, so you could try to simulate mixed neighborhoods. The problem would be that industrial produces pollution and commercial produces noise pollution and residents hate both of those, so you might get a bunch of abandoned residences. I've tried building apartment houses across from a train station and the noise pollution keeps people from moving in and the buildings end up abandoned, which is not good because everybody in C: S hates being near abandoned buildings.

So far I have not been able to build  a tunnel in C: S, but I haven't tried very hard. What I would really like to do is bring my metro lines above ground so I can cross a river without making a huge curve to create buildable grades. I haven't yet figured out how to do that, but I'm working on it. Maybe I should RTFM.

Should you decide to get SC4, the first mod you should download is the Network Add-on Mod or NAM from Simtropolis or SC4 Devotion. It adds all sorts of curves to roads and rails. It also adds trams and scores of other very useful things. In my books it is the single best mod in any game ever. BUT: You should be aware that all city builders deep in their hearts are based on a grid. Even when you see curves the game is working on a grid and your buildings will be built square to something. You can see this in C: S when you look at the weird blocks of potential zones which appear on curves or where two roads meet at an angle. Buildings are still possible and C: S does a pretty good job of making them look fitted into the street, but you'll get some very small (1 square) buildings and some squares will never fill. It's just part of the way computer city building games are made.

assobanana76

@rkelly17
oh wow!  :o
or you write very clear or my English is really improving!
I managed to translate all without the help of Google Translate!
the only two things I miss are "plop" and "RTFM" ..
"plop" I think I have understood the meaning.

where can I find that your book/guide on the mods?
I have to introduce me at night in your bedroom and through the drawers of your bedside table?  ;D
or you have a more comfortable profile "Steam" or "Youtube" or blogs where your illustrious guidelines on mods?
because extricate between (current) 14,773 mods sounds intimidating!

another thing missing, besides the tunnels, are bicycles and bike paths!
there is a place to send them a tip?

however, there is not that much to say .. you convinced me to buy it!  ;D
I just have to wait for the sales "Steam"!
I do not think I will invest € 9.99 in SC4 saving money for C:S!

There is a beautiful friendly community like this "Banished" but focused on C:S?

rkelly17

@assobanana76, RTFM is short for "Read the (expletive deleted) manual!" "Plop" means to site and build a completed building such as a police station.

I don't really have a book on the mods. For SC4 I read stuff in the Simtropolis (http://www.simtropolis.com/) and SC4 Devotion forums. The SC4 modding community has a long history and includes many people who really know what they are doing. Some of them seem to starting up on Cities: Skylines, so I am hopeful.

Paragon has a website for Cities: Skylines which includes a forum: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forum.php

Simtropolis has also started a forum for Cities: Skylines: http://community.simtropolis.com/forum/270-cities-skylines/

SC4 Devotion has a small start-up forum: http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?board=461.0

Hope this is helpful.

RedKetchup

probably this new game hurt alot banished fan base ?
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Rayden

Quote from: RedKetchup on March 19, 2015, 12:18:55 PM
probably this new game hurt alot banished fan base ?

Probably not, for sure it will hurt. ;)

chillzz

Quote from: assobanana76 on March 19, 2015, 02:42:31 AM
:o 9.99 euro!  that is very cheap for a game that can keep your interest for 12 years.
with the large mod community and vast amount of extremely good mods it's guaranteed years of fun.
support New Medieval Town development!
click here to donate via PayPal to RedKetchup

assobanana76

Quote from: rkelly17 on March 19, 2015, 08:25:55 AM
@assobanana76, RTFM is short for "Read the (expletive deleted) manual!" "Plop" means to site and build a completed building such as a police station.

I don't really have a book on the mods. For SC4 I read stuff in the Simtropolis (http://www.simtropolis.com/) and SC4 Devotion forums. The SC4 modding community has a long history and includes many people who really know what they are doing. Some of them seem to starting up on Cities: Skylines, so I am hopeful.

Paragon has a website for Cities: Skylines which includes a forum: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forum.php

Simtropolis has also started a forum for Cities: Skylines: http://community.simtropolis.com/forum/270-cities-skylines/

SC4 Devotion has a small start-up forum: http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?board=461.0

Hope this is helpful.
@rkelly17
VERY useful! thanks!
I still found the "collections" that bring together hundreds of objects and have the option to "subscribe to all."
I think sort them by "number of subscriptions" reflects the usefulness of mods ...

assobanana76

Quote from: chillzz on March 20, 2015, 04:28:03 AM
Quote from: assobanana76 on March 19, 2015, 02:42:31 AM
:o 9.99 euro!  that is very cheap for a game that can keep your interest for 12 years.
with the large mod community and vast amount of extremely good mods it's guaranteed years of fun.
my problem is essentially economic and "intelligence".
I hope that in the summer "C: S" goes to the balances at least 50% off!
and what I read "C: S" contains everything that was good in "SC4" and much more better ..

not to mention that I hate the isometric view!

the only flaw is that I will have to increase the RAM from 2GB to 4GB ..

assobanana76

ok .. well tell me that I'm crazy ...  ;D
but, before I buy it, I have already chosen the map, established the objects and collections of mod to be signed and I have in mind the project of road / rail network.
What can do a sleepless night with the kids !!  :'(

assobanana76

Also this map may not be bad ..
even if you only see an excerpt ..

chillzz

Quote from: assobanana76 on March 23, 2015, 02:31:10 AM
my problem is essentially economic and "intelligence".
I hope that in the summer "C: S" goes to the balances at least 50% off!
and what I read "C: S" contains everything that was good in "SC4" and much more better ..

not to mention that I hate the isometric view!

the only flaw is that I will have to increase the RAM from 2GB to 4GB ..
yeah i can imagine. i've bought sc4 in 2003 when it came out, upgraded to rushhour and played with mods ever since.  I wouldn't buy a game in this day and age either due to economic circumstances... made an exception for banished ;)

about the view: yeah thats a personal thing. i totally don't mind it. i personally prefer it to the view of cities in motion and the likes.  less drain on the videocard gpu and memory. i almost only use my pcs work related so don't have the top of the bill videocards.

Cities:Skylines better then Simcity 4. it certainly does look like it yeah, but then again it's 12 years newer ;) so a lot more is possible. Then again, it should first proof itself to be really better imo. but yeah personal preference too.
support New Medieval Town development!
click here to donate via PayPal to RedKetchup

assobanana76

my only other experience on the city-builder is "Banished" ..
so I'm just a neophyte ..
I'll base my purchase on the judgments of others, screenshots and gameplay video ..
and really Cities: Skyline is a blessing for the eyes and also seems a good game "managerial resources" ..
after "Banished" could be a game where I could spend many hours!
but first I have to at least "finish" at least one city in Banished ..
for one reason or another I have so far behind only two "failures" ..