News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Some workers should live on the premises?

Started by A Nonny Moose, August 23, 2014, 09:15:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Nonny Moose

Looking at some of the buildings, notably the Hunting Lodge and the Gatherer's Hut, why do these people live in town?  I often want to place both of them out in the woods as a better venue for their tasks.  The same could apply to the Herbalist (unless as has been suggested, this is the local pusher).  Seems silly to have to build a house for them.

Any production facility that includes what could be construed as a residence: Tailor, Smithy, Woodcutter, etc. could also be the official residence of the occupant(s) or at least one of them.

Perhaps some serious thought needs to be applied to the algorithms with respect to dividing residences into professional office/residence and worker bees who have to go to work.

The Hunting Lodge especially, seems to have two sections: A workshop (butchering floor and tannery)  and a residence.  So why does the huntsman have to find a doss in town?
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

RedKetchup

maybe cause he can be married with a teacher ? or a blacksmith ? and that person would need to go live in the hunting lodge ? and whats up with all their children ? ^^
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Paeng

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on August 23, 2014, 09:15:16 AMnotably the Hunting Lodge and the Gatherer's Hut, why do these people live in town?

I think RedKetchup put the finger right on the problem... Mixing professions (e.g. through marriage) could become pretty messy.

I guess it's the age-old SC 'problem' (where you also cannot combine RES and COM in one building)...  :)
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

slink

If the hunter lived where he or she worked, then game would reassign the spouse's job to someplace closer and the children would have to walk a long way to school.  It's the same thing that would happen if you built their house next to the hunting lodge.

I have wondered myself why people can't get warm at outbuildings with smoke arising from them.  I suppose the real issue is some kind of organizational problem with mixing residential and commercial functions, as Paeng mentioned.

And in the final analysis, the reason is "because the programmer made it that way".

A Nonny Moose

Being a programmer myself, I find it hard to blame this kind of behaviour on them.  It is more likely a problem with the specification wanting everyone to live in town.  Ho Hum, there is no accounting for the contents of a specification, especially for a game.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

slink

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on August 24, 2014, 09:36:30 AM
Being a programmer myself, I find it hard to blame this kind of behaviour on them.  It is more likely a problem with the specification wanting everyone to live in town.  Ho Hum, there is no accounting for the contents of a specification, especially for a game.
Except in this case, the programmer wrote the specifications.   ;D