News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Organizing Mods?

Started by Paeng, September 04, 2014, 12:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paeng

Quote from: rkelly17 on September 05, 2014, 07:46:00 AMI would like to be able to see the version number without opening the game

Yep, same here... it really helps to avoid accidentally loading an old version (seeing that passionate players are also true collectors who never throw away anything)  ;D

Quote from: slink on September 05, 2014, 10:37:51 AMI've just re-posted my Large Pasture Override as SJGL_Large Pasture Override_2.

Cool, and a relief to see that the underscore works, too...
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

Pelojian

*note something isn't working right in my browser with quote so:

"Paeng -

Yeah well, I'm not 'blaming' Luke...  :)

It's just something I saw last night, and I know that this is gonna be a pita sooner rather than later...

My idea is to ask to the modding community to set up a system, sort of a naming convention... Maybe something like
[Creator][Mod Name][Version].pkm or so..."

I'd suggest in order[Mod Name]>[Creator]>[Version] - Creator should perhaps be a user handle and not a person's RL name followed by their RL initials. there are so many people in the world and i can see it causing conflicts where as a user handle can be much more variable.

there would still be conflicts of coarse but there would be so many more choices in a handle.

On the subject of organization i'd love the save system to be officially updated to use a subfolder directory system using the town's name and a random number attached (taken from OS clock day/month/year hours, minutes, seconds?) combined with a UI save selection like mass effect series uses.

That way it'd be a drag and drop, backup affair of specific town saves.

irrelevant

I'd think creator's name first would be best, that would be a way for people to easily recognize a mod from a trusted source? Plus mod names will tend to blur together as more get created.

Paeng

Quote from: Pelojian on September 11, 2014, 05:12:58 PMi'd love the save system to be officially updated to use a subfolder directory system using the town's name and a random number attached

Yeah... well, at least a time stamp would be great, so older saves and shots don't get overwritten by newer ones... Save1, 2, 3 or Screenshot1, 2, 3 etc. in an 'endless loop' doesn't really cut it... oh well  ::)

Quote from: irrelevant on September 11, 2014, 06:40:24 PMI'd think creator's name first would be best, that would be a way for people to easily recognize a mod from a trusted source?

Yes, I think so too... to start a file name with the creator's handle is kind of an established "standard"...

But - as I feared... it's already starting. This morning I took my bag o' mods to sort out some stuff... yeah right... my "favorite" of the day must be The Apiary - I got about 5 different versions by about 3 different creators... all named "apiary.pkm"...  ;D

RedKetchup

bah i think you have no choice, if they all renamed  they wont work anymore :P
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

A Nonny Moose

Is there a registry of mod names?  Is someone controlling it?  Without the full pathname for mods on a machine, we've found in Sc4 that duplicates are a real danger.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

Paeng

Quote from: RedKetchup on September 12, 2014, 05:31:50 AMi think you have no choice, if they all renamed  they wont work anymore

Well, if that is so (what, because of the way the mods are compiled?), then I think creators should go the extra step and stick their file in a good old ZIP, because an archive can be given a meaningful name/handle/version-number in any case... I would think that sooner or later producers will also start to include a readme, source code, images, whatever... so download packages will be more than just a single file...  ;)

RedKetchup

yeah cause the way they have been compiled, the name act also as a reference, i think.

my next mode i will do the naming convention you would like. but i cant do for the creamery v 2.3 cause people will end with 2 différents creamery files. we need to keep in mind that not all people are as bright as candle or a light ^^

Paeng

Quote from: RedKetchup on September 12, 2014, 08:06:35 AMwe need to keep in mind that not all people are as bright as candle or a light

8)  Tell me about it...

But I know what you mean - I have written hundreds of readme's and how to's and what not's - only to realize that 90% of them are never looked at...
It's probably near impossible to package things so they are 'fool-proof'... but we must keep trying  ;D

A Nonny Moose

Including documentation in a mod package is kind of necessary, so single files seem rather naive.  I join with Paeng in saying that an archiver format (.zip is preferred) for the distribution of mods should become standards.

This whole business is in its infancy, and the time to fix it is now.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

RedKetchup

yeah agree. here we can put the .zip file

some place like Banished Info website only accept the .pkm file.
and when you want to distribute.... you ll get 1000 dl there... and 10 here ^^

rkelly17

Quote from: Paeng on September 12, 2014, 08:40:02 AM
I have written hundreds of readme's and how to's and what not's - only to realize that 90% of them are never looked at...
It's probably near impossible to package things so they are 'fool-proof'... but we must keep trying  ;D

Never despair, @Paeng. I have always read all of your readme filess--but I'm such an ingenious fool that I can still get things wrong.  ;D

Paeng

Quote from: RedKetchup on September 12, 2014, 10:48:45 AMsome place like Banished Info website only accept the .pkm file.

Well, that needs to be addressed then... I took it up in their forum, let's see what Coffee thinks of this issue...

Quote from: rkelly17 on September 12, 2014, 10:54:46 AMNever despair, @Paeng. I have always read all of your readme files

Good man  ;)

Quotebut I'm such an ingenious fool that I can still get things wrong

Yeah, that's the nature of the beast - and the fool is me then, for failing to express things in a clear enough fashion... But believe me, producers develop an uncanny 'antenna' for whether a question is asked due to confusion or due to... well, ignorance.  :)

slink

I read the readme files when they aren't automatically unpacked into some obscure location that reflects how the author feels I should be organizing my hard drive.  Often times I never do find them in those cases.

Paeng

Quote from: slink on September 12, 2014, 06:03:37 PMwhen they aren't automatically unpacked into some obscure location that reflects how the author feels I should be organizing my hard drive.

Agreed, that's a no-go...