News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Landscaping

Started by Tom Sawyer, April 12, 2016, 03:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Sawyer

Hello,

I'm working on a landscaping mod. My aim is a more realistic landscape with detailed textures, but keeping the theme and atmosphere of the original banished. Here are a few first screenshots...

before:

modded:

Glenn

Looks good  -- nice shade of green, much more grasslike

DesoPL

I like how it looks, maybe alternative for SeasonsFX is coming.

Fellow Villager

it looks wonderful.but it makes lags?

Tom Sawyer

It makes no lags. Same FPS as unmodded. There are only 2D textures. @Deso: SeasonFX can be used in addition. I did not lay hands on light effects ...
Here is some new stuff. More grass textures. New dirt road and storage yard:

And even more shades of green. Overlapping dirt and grass textures give interesting views.

Fellow Villager

it looks awesome

can you make an optimization to reduce vanilla lag?

Tom Sawyer

Hi villager, nice that you like it.

The best way to reduce lags are the video options. Shadows and reflections off. Not beautiful but fast. Did you do this? I work on a notebook with Intel HD and a weak nvidia card. When I scroll through a forest, the fps drops down. Especially oak trees are fps-killer for my lame gpu. Lets make a mod to replace the damned oaks to pines.^^

Fellow Villager

oh yes thanks....
i read somewhere that luke did not make optimization, so when you use zoom hack it lags a bit

however i can play at 1920 resolutio, with hi option except for shadow, that i disable. i suggest you to do the same, they take a lot of lag

so with the zoom hack i can play without lag

Tom Sawyer

I just made a little test. With a screen full of oaks in summer and shadows the fps drop down to 10! Birches 15 and pines 30. So pines are about 3 times faster on my labtop. With this mod you can replace the oaks. Looks like Canada or Siberia. Depending on what you prefer.^^ Unfortunately you have to start a new game. I find no way to make it savegame compatible. Maybe someone has an idea.

Fellow Villager

Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer

Fixed a reversed grass texture ...

bubbamcgee

I really like the textures.  It really makes things look more realistic overall.  But, the grass color is too light.  Could you tone it down so that it is a more natural darker color?

Tom Sawyer

That's a good point. I played it for a while and in time became a brighter dry grass for me more pleasant. But you are right. It looks more like prairie. I adjusted it a bit. As you can see in the screenshot, it is not simple. I have to stay in hue with the trees and darker grass would dim the entire scene. Left the vanilla, in center the first version, and right my adjustment. I want to keep the effect of dry grass in classic. In my nordic landcape, the grass will be more green.

bubbamcgee

That looks a lot better... by the way, the new textures for the rocks looks great as well.  Much more realistic.