Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Necora's Work in Progress

Started by Abandoned, February 27, 2017, 07:02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Necora

Quote from: brads3 on September 30, 2017, 04:47:13 PM
yeahh<<<<claps

now that you are caught up with the upgrade,what do you have planned?

Good question! I'm not entirely sure... I do want to make some more trade posts to fit with the NS set, specialized ones. Then there is the question of how to incorporate the new build requirements which is something I would like to do. Oh and the Sherbrooke set is due some more buildings to fill it out a bit. I have a few ideas, but just need the time to get them built.

brads3

true the sherbrooke could use a larger townhall.since it has the bigger market.if you need i have a few ideas too.

Gatherer

Quote from: Necora on September 30, 2017, 05:02:43 PM
I do want to make some more trade posts to fit with the NS set, specialized ones.
Please make them with a higher capacity than before.
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

Necora

@Gatherer do you mean storage capacity? I've got them set at 20,000 at the moment... not sure if that is high or not.

So far I have made a livestock and seed trader and an industrial trader. Livestock and seed brings livestock and seeds, and the industrial trader brings most flags such as wood, iron, stone, fuel, tools, coalfuel, industrial, construction, forged, crafted.

purringcat

They look very nice and hope they don't need lumber to build.    Your entire water series is excellent.   

If 20,000 is the max count, that's low.    50,000 is more like normal trade amount.

Necora

The pic attached is a spoiler for something I'm working on for my story I started... I need to find a way to make the pieces transition seamlessly, but the shadows in game are making it hard especially when the texture is grass and so seams cant be hidden in bricks etc.

As for trade post storage, it could be larger than that, I guess it acts as a good dump for clearing out stock piles etc. but also as these are resource specific (some people might see cheat) buildings, I think they should have some costs associated with them compared to the regular trade post.

And on that note, what is the problem with requiring lumber? Or any other construction materials aside from logs and stone for that matter? I'm not sure I get where the push back on lumber is coming from, it is only 1 extra production step from logs and the chains are relatively generous in terms of output. We're making advanced buildings, that do specialized things, and the aim is to not have them available ASAP so you have to use general traders at the start and hope for luck of the boat. Also, lumber, bricks, glass, stone bricks, they all add a good aspect of realism and a but more complexity to the game, surely this is good no?

kid1293

You can maybe hide the edge with some vegetation.
Or alternative, make fort contrasting color. Sandy slopes?

I pushed for less complexity in Banished. I don't want super advanced
buildings as standard. I am more of - having fun but don't get silly.

I realize that EB took a hit and for that I beg his pardon.
I was stressed and he talked about big plans for big games.

I agree that more advanced buildings have a place later in game.
Just have a look at AzemOcram's residential buildings.
They must have a production that is up to it.

I don't want people to be blind for 'the small gamer' with an occasional
round of Banished. And I don't want modders to dictate the game.

Realism? Eat once a month and never sleep?

brads3

the arguements over the added building materials is mixed.i think CC overwhelmed people with their building supply chain.that has been fixed with the new slots for extra building requirements. i think there is room for both ways. sometimes like game starts or small towns simpler buildings will be preferred. i do like the way CC has higher grade buildings requiring more and different materials. which you did with the sherbrooke set.we will have players on both sides of this fence though.
     i still like the idea of an added step but also mods that fill the gap. instead of a big jump up to glass and cut stones and lumber to build houses,an easier step up with slab or rough-cut lumber.since it isn't milled it can be produced in decent quatities with a smaller workplace similar to CC's sawpit.many of the mods look like flat wood more so than logs.not saying we should redo all the mods.not at all,but we could begin to add slab wood to the building materials. this easier step might help other players be more open to the expanding ideas as well.
   historically i think it is more accurate. started with log cabins with open windows and shutters to close to keep the wind out.and then slab logs which are logs with the bark removed and semi-squared off.and wood pegs were used to "nail"them together.and then over time,added glass windows and various roofing materials.many players never build large towns but like the small communities better.

Necora

@kid1293 yup vegetation might do the trick, or some small stone work showing through maybe. I'll experiment. I also think for the straight pieces, rather than 1 tile wide I'll make a range of them so 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 tiles wide, then that will cover most lengths. Adding another piece with some height variation, just a little mound or dip, might also come in handy. I don't want it to be too many pieces though, it is just a nice bit of decoration that I think looks cool.

As for the buildings, well, I'm all for basic beginnings then scaling up. I play Banished like a city builder with a survival element added, so I guess for me the natural progression of a town from a small village to a large region centered around a city is the ideal path of the game. That doesn't mean it is the best or correct, just how I like to play. But, I don't want that city to be easy to build, and if the more advanced buildings are bigger, and production faster and cheaper, then I want a good cost and wait to building that building. Something to aim for. That is why things like lumber and other variations make sense to me personally. @brads3 nails my line of thinking pretty well. While I don't want to inundate the game with a tonne of building materials, having a bit of variation makes it more interesting, especially when you need something different than just logs and stone for every building. Then, there are also new professions to be made, and unique new buildings to go with them, that just add to the diversity of the game. I don't think there is any risk of modders dictating the game, there is plenty of choice out there for mods to suit peoples style, and of course no one wants to be forgotten, but at the same time I make things that I think would enhance the play, at least for me. I was actually toying with the idea of releasing a 'vanilla' version and a 'me' version of mods from now on, vanilla having limited new resources and vanilla requirements, but short chains, so mainly a visual enhancement while the 'me' version tackling the building requirements and longer chains.

Oh, sleep? There is no night... why would they sleep? ;) Sure, noses can be turned up at 'realism' in a game like Banished, but it is a game set around a realistic scenario with environments, buildings, and needs that represent a historical period in many parts of the world, while the game is sure limited in certain 'real' aspects, surely that isn't a bad thing to add it in the little ways we can to have lumber boards for a lumber house? Or stone bricks for a stone brick wall?

kid1293

Touché!

I agree, requirements for wanted (desired) pieces should match.

carolinafan95

If I can throw my 2 cents in, as a new player I'm still getting used to the game and keeping my bannies alive, but at the same time I'm enjoying several different games at the moment by using mods from basically each of you. Each game is different based on map and mod choices, and that keeps me interested and motivated to try different styles of play and game ideas. So the more the better.  ;)

That being said, I agree with you that if you add more and more "realistic" mods then they should have the same "realism" in their design and builds. I don't see a problem with that. I love Red's NMT set where I can start off with a building and then "upgrade" when more building materials are available. To me it's a reward for building up my village and making it look more like a town/city.

Keep up the great work, and while input is always appreciated, make the mods you want to make. That keeps you interested and more inclined to continue modding and not burn out as fast. Thanks to you guys, this game will live on for a long time. Enjoy what you do, enjoy the game, or you'll wind up hating both.

TaylorItaly

I am also a new player and i am very thankfull for what your modders have done!!!
The first hours of a game are mostly just survive, but after a while i love to build up the complex supply chains to build my bannies better homes and to offer them
better food.
I really love the beautiful pictures Pang made of his towns,and i allways want to build even such scenes,but forget it because of the needs of my people. ::)
I play with a lot of mods and discover allways new things, thank you for that!!

Necora

@carolinafan95 and @TaylorItaly welcome! Thanks for stopping by, its great to see new players come and comment on the boards, and thanks for your kind words.

I've improved the earthwork fort, it looks better. There are still a few odd edges I would like to smooth out. I'm now trying to decide whether to keep them ghosted or give them a footprint, I'm leaning towards the latter and adding build costs to them (I don't like to make ghosted things build-able because you can't see where you placed them, I prefer them to show up instantly). In the pics attached I've built the earthworks fort around a small Port Royal settlement.

For this one, I think I will try a vanilla version and a full version. The vanilla will take logs, stone, and iron for the cannons while the full version will have a range of things, such as logs, stone, stone bricks, and cannons as build requirements. I won't be adding the chains to it though, this will be a small set so the full version will need some other way of making the resources, but they will be produced in Port Royal buildings and in the Humble set which will have a few new buildings each. Apart from cannons, they will be from Sherbrooke because I don't think the Port Royal furnace/blacksmith is quite right to produce them and I've been planning and iron works for the Sherbrooke set anyway.

Seeing as though build requirements are the topic for the day, I figure I'd put out some ideas of a few things I may (or may not) add.

Lumber - will be for all your wood frame and panel needs. I thought about different types of lumber, but would rather keep it a bit generic I think. Imagination can be used to say that a pile of lumber is a mix of different lengths. Made by lumber cutters/mills.

Shingles - for your roofs and some walls, will be wood, made by lumber cutters/mills.

Slate Tiles - for roofs, will be cut from stone by masons.

Stone Bricks - for walls, will be cut from stone by masons.

Logs and stone will still be used, for foundations and for places such as the docks, the Port Royal buildings where they have those large wooden beams supporting the houses in the upper level ones.

Worked Iron - I've previously mentioned cannon, and I think that can be a nice separate thing, but other than that I would like worked iron to probably made straight from iron ore, think of them as custom pieces of iron work to certain buildings that have, for example, bells like the schools and churches.

They are a few examples. You'll see I'm trying to keep them relatively generic, rather than having all of the, literal, bells and whistles such as 5 different types of lumber (boards, slats, framing etc.) and going full blown boxes of nails (although some sort of 'iron fittings' or 'wood fittings' might be an idea) while still adding a bit of individual variation for each building and a little bit more of a complex chain to complete them. One thing I really like about it is that I can make a few more buildings such as mason shops, iron works, etc.

brads3

by "stone brick" do you mean bricks that we have already or actually cut-stone?? if it is cut-stone,i would recommend changing the name to not confuse others.then again it might even depend on languages and be totally a different word.i take it the cannons will be the safe as CC so we can use those too?
        do you have any plans to post workers at those corners?always thought we should have bannies in the CC forts towers but never could think of what to "produce.was glad REd made the new towers to hunt from with the training camp fort.made sence to me to have someone in the watch towers.

Necora

Hello everybody. I just thought I'd stop by and say Hi. I've started a new job lately and it has been taking up most of my time and all of my energy, so I've not done any modding for a while now. But hopefully I will get back into it as there is a lot of stuff I want to do. I had a new idea (well, going back to an old idea that wasn't implemented properly) to re-make the trapping chain and do it properly. I feel that it was kind of half and half in the pine set, and so much more can be done to make it a really cool aspect of the game. Something along the lines of pulling the animals out of the forest and giving them a layer or two, and making a whole new game goal with them. You start with your trapper, who can go out and get pelts. You will be able to trade pelts at specialized buildings such as a native camp and company camp. The native camp will sell you pelts in exchange for certain products, with the cost being dependent on what you sell. So if you sell potatoes, the exchange is bad, but if you sell cannons, the exchange is very good. The company camp will buy your pelts in exchange for coin, depending on the quantity. If you sell 1 pelt, the return is decent (but not good, it is the company after all) but if you sell larger quantities (10, 20, 50, 100) the return gets worse. So you can shift a lot of pelts quickly for a discount, or few pelts over a longer time for a better return. Then, there will be the third option of processing the pelts yourselves into fine clothing. This will get the best returns, but will take you some time in building up the factories and traders needed to turn your trapping camp into a bustling town.

So, it will be a lot of work, and if I can pull it off, I think it will be really cool!