News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Variable Management - The Basic Conundrum

Started by A Nonny Moose, November 09, 2015, 08:51:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Nonny Moose

Like all similar simulations, this one is very well written to keep the player hopping.  One of the features of the game is its ability to pick a location for the start that is not nearly as suitable as an adjacent field.  I've quite often cursed randomizer for its inability to choose a more felicitous site.

Anyway, keeping all these balls up in the air is quite a challenge, especially with a system as slow as mine.  It is very easy to over-concentrate on the wrong variable set (e.g. shelter) at the expense of something that will produce a chain reaction of horror.  For example, in my present village, I find I've overproduced housing (demand) at the expense of not building my forester soon enough.  The forester is currently missing two logs to complete the building and so is not producing.  I have consumed all the local trees, and those that are further away are behind escarpments.  I've built a tunnel for one, and some road cuts to get to the others, but the distance involved seems to be too great so production is miniscule.  Meanwhile, I am out of logs and firewood, so construction has ceased on those needing wood, and people will now start freezing to death.  Because of the lack of wood, there is also a tools crisis in progress even though I have two smithies.

One of the things that I have been able to keep up is food production, but because I am short of manufactured goods, I am having a rough go with my traders.  (This is a medium level game, so no animals as yet).  Without production, I am essentially a farmer with a hunter/gatherer side line.

Live and learn.  I am going to terminate this village, and start a new one.  I'll try to keep all the plates whirling again.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

Pangaea

As an emergency, I suppose you could take down some houses. You'd get half (I think) of the materials back that way, enabling you to finish that forester. Of course, it would still take a long time to get a stable supply of wood, if that forester basically has to grow a forest first, so I understand the wish to start a new village instead.

I've had such crisis in Settlers 2 myself. Building too much too soon, then run out of planks/logs, and unable to finish the half-done buildings. It's not a pretty sight.

A Nonny Moose

I did a new village.  This time, I am going to kick off my forester fairly close to the original settlement.  I can always start another one further away later.

Actually, I upped the ante on this, and switched over to hard mode.  Built my forester almost within spitting distance of the wood cutter.  After two hours, things are moving along (very slowly as usual).

Paeng

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on November 10, 2015, 09:07:21 AMBuilt my forester almost within spitting distance of the wood cutter.

My first Forester is always more or less inside my initial village... Later on, when it gets "swallowed" by the town, I keep it as a Town Forester (with just one worker) for my local parks... I'm always amazed that it keeps producing some logs even then...  ;)
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

A Nonny Moose

I'll have to give that a try.  My current medium difficulty village is now three years along, very compact, and about ready for a forester.  I rather like the idea of random trees growing in town.