News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Trying out RK Editor Choice Edition

Started by galensgranny, January 15, 2018, 09:15:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

galensgranny

I thought I would start a new thread since Red's work in progress thread is so long with different aspects of his new mod being discussed.

I have the test version Red sent me.   I haven't played a great deal with it, but right away there is a problem/annoyance/uncertainty for me.  That is all that tall grass/fodder/thatch densely growing all over.  It is a problem for me as it slows down the bannies clearing our an area for the initial buildings.  It takes a lot longer to clear a space than usual.

Also, I do not understand the fodder system.  So, Red, maybe there could be less of the tall grass/fodder or is it thatch.  Also, could someone explain the fodder farming system so maybe I would then not find it an annoyance to clear the grass/fodder.  Right now I don't know what use the fodder is for my bannies, nor all that tall grass.

Hawk

When you first start a map, fodder can be used to heat homes, instead of firewood.
Later, when you have enough firewood, fodder can be used to make fertilizer, which can be used in greenhouses, which can grow fruits and vegetables all year long.
[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]

[color=#800000][i]Yes, I can multitask. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.[/i][/color]

galensgranny

So, instead of my worrying at the start to cut up firewood, the bannies are using that tall grass to heat their homes?!  OK.  That is good.  No wonder they were not crying about freezing when it seemed it was taking me longer to get my woodcutter up and running.  They must have been using that tall grass for heat.

I will start a game again, this time considering that copious amount of tall grass in the starting area sort of like mini trees to use for heat, and not send my bannies further away to chop more trees at the start. 

Thanks for the information, Hawk.

Hawk

Also, mixed in with the fodder is flowers. They can be harvested to trade and make perfume to trade.
[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]

[color=#800000][i]Yes, I can multitask. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.[/i][/color]

Maldrick

You can use it as fuel.  It's also used as part of the production chain for fertilizer for the greenhouses when you get to that point.

I find it to be really dense, too.  Was having a hard time with hard starts digging through it all enough to get everybody housed and forestry / gathering going the first year while addressing everything else.  Was able to do all the basics, but on every start but one I had to choose between running out of clothing or tools in order to get the building up.  The one I was successful not running out of anything, I limited my house building the first year, leaving most of them homeless (which is perfectly fine and is the way I used to do it...just don't get the early jump on reproduction depending on what families get housed) and skipped building a woodcutter since I had to clear fodder for the forest cluster anyway.  This allowed me to get a jump on a smith, lumbermill and tailor just in time to not run out of tools and clothes both.  It just takes some experimenting and jugglingz really.

But I do find the groundspawns to be pretty dense, also.  Slows things down quite a lot.  I'm leaning towards a preference of the fodder and flowers just being farmed, since we have the addition of copper, too, but want to play with it more to decide.  I hope others play with it and offer feedback, too.  It's not the worst thing to have a set that offers extra challenge at the start like this.  Has been really fun, actually.

If you're having problems, I noticed that easy starts seem to be quite a bit easier than hard. I don't find hard starts especially hard usually, but tried one on easy with this and it was quite a bit easier.  @Hawk did some medium starts and it sounded like they went really smoothly too.  A lot more smoothly than I was experiencing with hard starts, it sounded.

Just some thoughts from playing with it a lot this weekend. Hope that helps.  I would be interested to hear more about how you do if you get into it.  I've had a lot of fun with it, personally.
"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."
― Ezio Auditore da Firenze

RedKetchup

thanks you for your initial feedback :)

as @Maldrick  and @Hawk  explained, it can be used as firewood (thats the concept of NatDiv Mod).
and later you need it to feed the stables in order to get fertilizer which is the Greenhouse chain. it provide good food all year long.
it also can be used as material for building some buildings like apiary .. but also some buildings provided in the NatDiv Mod.

the grass spawns flowers. the flowers can be taken to the parfumery and make perfume with it. it is a very nice selling item.

the Beta Test 03 that you've got have them immortal so it is accumulating alot over time.
the Beat Test 04 i am preparing for today ... has less spawns and also important, they arent immortal anymore, so they will die after couple of years and get refreshed with new spawns
i am also reducing of -20% the number of polygons, reducing the size of those too making them smaller and specially the flowers will be less high too. (both will help you feel to not be overwhelmed and will also help the more little computers :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

galensgranny

Quotethe Beta Test 04 i am preparing for today ... has less spawns and also important, they arent immortal anymore, so they will die after couple of years and get refreshed with new spawns
i am also reducing of -20% the number of polygons, reducing the size of those too making them smaller and specially the flowers will be less high too. (both will help you feel to not be overwhelmed and will also help the more little computers

Red, I am glad you will be making those changes.   It has been way too many flowers (very, very tall flowers!) and too much grass.  Good also to make it less polygons for the less powerful computers, which I think includes my computer.

Nilla

It would be very nice to see some pictures from your testing of this very interesting mod.

RedKetchup

Maldrick

Starting over with the new version tomorrow as time allows.  Will see what I can do. :P
"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."
― Ezio Auditore da Firenze

RedKetchup

i personally have hard to get flowers :P
gonna compare flowers with some other wild things like onions, mushrooms, and ect.

Hawk

Whelp, I'm not the best at grabbing screenshots, but here's a few from Beta 4.

The first is obviously the stats. The second is at the start of the map. The rest were all done at 25 years in.

If I take more, should I zoom in closer to get under the fog?

I really like those 3 story houses.  :)
[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]

RedKetchup

thanks for the picture even if i couldnt yet have them all load ...
but ya like you said, try to make some at max close.... and it you can tilt the camera also to max to ground with page up / page down keys ...

Hawk

I'll try the up/down keys next time, and get in a little closer.
[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]

RedKetchup

i can use some screenshot to replace the vanilla scrrenshots we see in wait of " Loading...... " the game :)