News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

About multiple products.

Started by Idle Work Team, September 30, 2015, 07:44:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedKetchup

Quote from: Glenn on October 08, 2015, 03:33:54 PM

Another suggestion would be that the mod descriptions would be best in English.

of course :) if i would have made all my mods in french only ... they wouldnt as popular ^^
although french is near of english.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Glenn

Languages and fate can be an interesting topic Red, and I know a little bit about the French/English history of Canada

For your information I am Australian English speaker of British/Irish heritage -- my family have been here since the 1850s.

But Australian history could have been very different.

Years ago there was a  French navigator named Jean-François de Galaup, comte de Lapérouse (1741–88), who landed on the northern shore of Botany Bay west of Bare Island on 26 January 1788. This area is now called La Perouse.

Unfortunately for the French the English Captain, Arthur Phillip, and the first fleet of convicts arrived in Botany Bay a few days earlier and foundered the British colony of New South Wales -- the first of all the British colonies in what was to become Australia.

One can only speculate what may have happed if the French had landed first.

RedKetchup

unfortunatly, french europeans never could succeed to keep what they found, founded, discovered. they always lost everything to england.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

ShockPuppet

Too much good wine and cheese back home, they didn't want to be away for too long.

chillzz

Quote from: Glenn on October 08, 2015, 07:49:35 PM
But Australian history could have been very different.
One can only speculate what may have happed if the French had landed first.

Or if the Dutch actually settled instead of just discovering it in 1644 ;) only reminders of that are Tasmania and New Zealand.

Quote from: RedKetchup on October 08, 2015, 10:10:43 PM
unfortunatly, french europeans never could succeed to keep what they found, founded, discovered. they always lost everything to england.
or traded for other settlements, just like the Dutch did.
Most stupid trade the Dutch did was swapping Manahatta for a part of Guyana.. Maybe you all would have spoken Dutch :P
support New Medieval Town development!
click here to donate via PayPal to RedKetchup

Pangaea

Don't you have to be there first to discover something?

We discovered Australia, but weren't greeted too happily.
We discovered America, and started killing those present.

Err, okay then :D

ShockPuppet

Well yeah because the English had this way where'd they'd turn up on a shore, point to the native people and say "right, you, you and you... Bugger off we're having tiffn'. By the way we own here now." And it worked for ages.

elemental

A lot of it has to do with flags. Look. We have a flag, this is ours now.

Turis

Quote from: elemental on October 09, 2015, 02:54:20 PM
A lot of it has to do with flags. Look. We have a flag, this is ours now.

You're wrong. It's about guns and diseases.

elemental

Yes, guns were a tool but not the reason behind colonisation. It was empire building. Also in the case of Australia there was the concept of terra nullius. The Brits considered this place to belong to nobody and to be theirs for the taking. And if the indigenous Australians dared to get in the way then yeah, they got shot. And even if they didn't get in the way they sometimes got shot.

Terra nullius applies to Banished, too. Especially the Colonial Charter version.