News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Other Game Favorites

Started by Abandoned, April 23, 2017, 06:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

Quite a few years ago I was getting a computer gaming magazine.  There was an article and survey asking if you were stranded on an island (I believe it was) with your pc what 5 games would you want to have on that pc.  Sorry, don't remember results, can't even tell you what the name of the magazine was at that time, it changed hands and names several times.  But:

Today, I would say Banished would definitely be in my top 5 choices.  Heroes of Might and Magic IV (first choice), The Sims I, Stronghold, and probably Settlers II.  Computers are bigger and better today, I need at least another 5.  (plus snacks)

I might still have that article on the shelf, if I come across it some time I'll post more info. 

Hawk

Hmmm? Right off the top of my head, I'd say my 5 choices would be Banished, Industry Giant 2, Railroad Tycoon 3, Settlers (both 5 & 6 - does that count as 1?  ;D ), and I guess either 18 Wheels of Steel (PttM and/or Haulin) or Outlaws.

Past 5 choices would be Gun, Rollercoaster Tycoon 2, Rise of Nations, and Anno 1404 (and 1701  ;) ).
[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]

[color=#800000][i]Yes, I can multitask. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.[/i][/color]

tanypredator

Banished, Civilisation 5, Fallout 4 (with mods), Heroes of Might and Magic (cannot play 3 with my computer now, eh... so 5) and... don't know... Sudoku? ;D

Maldrick

That's a tough one.  I do a lot of my gaming on console, also, these days so that kind of muddies how I would answer a bit.  Also depends on when you catch me.  But for right now, it would definintely be Banished, Cities Skylines, Civ 6, Fallout 4, and Arma 3.

If I could spread it out across PC and console it would probably look more like Banished, Cities Skylines, Borderlands 2, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, and Fallout 4.

Tough one though...Depends on how long I was going to be stuck on that island. lol  The EQ obsession pops up again every few years so might have to bump The Pre-Sequel for EverQuest or one of the EMUs.  Assuming there was internet access.

Fun stuff.

Your post reminds me I'm due for some Heroes of Might and Magic.  Haven't played one since 2 or 3 ages ago.

EDIT:  I put Civ 6 on there because I haven't played a Civ in ages and it's on the top of the list to check out before too long.  But so is Transport Fever.  So there's that, too.  Much easier question if it were 10 rather than 5!
"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."
― Ezio Auditore da Firenze

grammycat

Mine would be Banished, The Sims 3 with all packs, Rollercoaster Tycoon with all packs, Mahjong, and a Zelda/Link game-hard  to choose which one.

Paeng

Ugh, that's tough... I'm sure the moment I arrive on the island I'd be like why didn't I bring this? or that? LOL

Anyway, off the top I'd say -

Simcity4
Banished
X-Com2
A Puzzle / Platformer like Crazy Machines or Element4L
An RPG like Gothic or Witcher

Of course all fully loaded with mods and mod-kits...  :D
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

RedKetchup

my all time favorited list ?

HoMM3
Civ V
World of Warcraft
Caesar IV
Banished

big mentions to :
Chrono trigger
Baseball Stars
Final Fantasy 1-3
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

embx61

Hmmm, not an easy one but I try.
Not in a 1 to 5 order.

Divinity Original Sin
Europa Universalis III (Never really got into IV)
The Witcher (All of them)
Tex Murphy Series with "The Pandora Directive" as being my favorite of the series.
Very old game and nothing to the standards of today but "Betrayal at Krondor" was a masterpiece for it's time and I played it a lot.

Mentions:

Banished
Anno series
Spellforce
Civilization up to IV

[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

kid1293

I'm not sure if I can find 5 I really enjoy(ed).
I've played a lot but nothing I want to bring to an island. :)

Only one stands out.

Morrowind !
Banished
Mount & Blade : Warband
Settlers 2 (The Next Generation)
Dungeon Keeper 2 (just to get 5)

Mentions ...as embx61 said - a lot those old RPGs

Nilla

Banished
ANNO 1404
Some Sudoku/logic puzzle game (I play some on line but I guess there might be some PC-versions as well)
Settler II
Some of the other ANNO or Settler versions

Abandoned

A lot of good games mentioned here.  Guess I can't go to that island yet, I would have to rethink my choices first. The ones I did choose would have to be the complete editions or collections but I see I did not pick one single one of my favorite RPG.  Not so easy to choose only 5, much harder than it was way back then.  :)

Paeng

You crazy people...   :P

Who mentioned Fallout!? That gave me an itch I could not scratch, got it this morning from Gog and now can't stop playing  >:(  ...   :D

* How old is that game? '97 or so? Amazing how much good stuff can be packaged so small (570Mb)... Alone the manual is a small masterpiece.
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

Abandoned

oh no, @Paeng  LOL.  and @RedKetchup mentioned HoMM3 and now I want to play that.  My Sims are probably abandoning their towns because they've been neglected, must be those nomads that keep showing up in Banished. Too many good games, too little time.  GOG is good site.

RedKetchup

Quote from: Abandoned on April 24, 2017, 04:31:11 PM
oh no, @Paeng  LOL.  and @RedKetchup mentioned HoMM3

it was so much the best one of the series  for me despict the fact it was full 2D.

they never succeeded to make it 3D. the biggest thing for this version it was the map editor. it was so easy and super clear to use. the later versions (3D) never succeed to get any near of the HoMM3 editor cause the extremly bad tools they used and incorporated in thier subsequent editors. even today the latest version totally fail.

if you play it back for a while... i suggest you to download the "unofficial" addon : WoG (Wake of gods). it adds so much to the game.
lately (2014) fans added another addon : Horn of the Abyss. i never played it though.

i think also someone made an HD version.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Abandoned

@RedKetchup I played and really like HoMM4 before I ever played 3.  I never used 3's editor, made maps & campaigns for Heroes4.  Tried demo of 5 but didn't like 3D at all.  Still play Heroes 4 regularly, hot seat with husband but haven't played Heroes 3 since playing Banished.  Thanks for addon info.  :)