News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

the most ignorant human award goes to... me!

Started by marmaladema, December 29, 2017, 12:59:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marmaladema

My ancient laptop took a crap.  The new one is Windows 10.  For the life of me, I cannot get Banished to run.  It constantly tells me that the runtime dll cannot be found - yet it is there.  Unless someone knows some trick I am not finding anywhere else, I guess I am done playing banished :(

Maldrick

Oh no! Very sorry to hear you are having problems.

The good news is I was concerned about this very thing when I did my big upgrade last summer, which included bumping up to Windows 10...Cursory searches yielded all kinds of horror stories and problems with Windows 10 and Banished, but then I noticed that they were all from when the game and the OS were practically brand new.  Asked in the tech section here and everybody who responded who had Windows 10 reported no problems.  I did my upgrade and have had no problems at all with Windows 10, so high hopes that your problem isn't directly related to the OS and it's something else.

Bad news is, I have no idea what to tell you to do to narrow it down.  Hopefully our resident gurus might have some advice.  All I can say is try disabling any extra running processes in your tray as a start.  Being a laptop it's inherently a prebuilt and they love loading up all manner of crap software you really don't need on prebuilts before you buy them.  Also, make sure you have the latest version of Banished, maybe?

Edit:  Also might want to check to see if you have the latest and correct drivers for your various components, particularly video card.
"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."
― Ezio Auditore da Firenze

brads3

i take it you did a new load and install of banished? did you go through the upgrades and miss a file or not copy and paste a set?? i have this 1 backed up several ways to flashdrives. with all the upgrades,i would be lost trying to redo them all. i would try loading the lowest version you have and open and run as vanilla to test that it will run.then go ahead with upgrading to the 1.07.also make sure the desktop icon is pointing to the right version.open the banished folder and try clicking the app from there. there are 2 sets of icons and 2 versions of each. there is a 32x and 64x. make sure you are using the correct 1 for your computer.

RedKetchup

which dll ? and you said yet it is there... where is "there " ?
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

kenathomos

Good Day!

A runtime dll error is expected especially if you installed Banished (or almost any video game) on a new machine or new OS without taking the time to download all of what most applications require as pre-requisite requirements.

A runtime dll error, basically, is an error that tells you that "Hey we need this certain .dll file! But it's not in your computer/laptop. We won't run the application since what we need isn't there!".

Most runtime dll errors can be solved by downloading either on of the following or all of them depending on what is the required .dll file:

• DirectX 9.0c
  • Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable - This one has many versions! It doesn't hurt to get most of them.

Please install the files above and report back if the problem still persist.

Alternatively, you can search for the exact .dll file that is needed, download that, then put that in the root folder of the game OR drop it in the C:\Windows\System32.

Another alternative solution is that you can take a screenshot of the error so that we can pinpoint the exact problem.

Thank you!

marmaladema

it was the pre-installed mccrappy (mcaffee) that was seeing the game as a threat. mcaffee gone, reinstalled, works now.  still tweaking the mod order, but so far, so good.

RedKetchup

well a mcaffee that cant find virus and take a game like a virus...

thats pretty mc crappy
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Hawk

McAfee isn't well know for being a top notch A/V App.  ::)
Neither is Norton (Semantic), anymore.
[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]

[color=#800000][i]Yes, I can multitask. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.[/i][/color]

galensgranny

Quote from: marmaladema on January 01, 2018, 10:08:48 AM
it was the pre-installed mccrappy (mcaffee) that was seeing the game as a threat. mcaffee gone, reinstalled, works now.  still tweaking the mod order, but so far, so good.

Oh man!  What a pain!  I am glad you figured out what the problem was.  Happy playing now!  :)

twilightbreeze

I've used AVG free for over 10 years now, always been satisfied with it.
Got my first computer 1984 when it was all dos. Been playing computer games and internet surfing since. SOOO much has changed!! lol.

Maldrick

"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."
― Ezio Auditore da Firenze