News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Happiness Testing

Started by smurphys7, January 03, 2018, 09:47:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JM

I've always built many wells, I was afraid of a fire. Later I turned off disasters, but I still build a well wherever I can, not just near the houses. Every area where people walk is near a well. I have just opened older saved games and in all of them happiness is still around 100.
I opened a very old game from the time I did not manage well and where happiness was about 50, built some wells and the situation dramatically improved in a few years. Perhaps the well is the miraculous thing ...?

Maldrick

Quote from: smurphys7 on January 04, 2018, 08:41:11 AM
Mine, Quarry, Well, Trading Post, Market, Chapel, Physician, and... anything else?
Tavern?
"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."
― Ezio Auditore da Firenze

Maldrick

Quote from: Hawk on January 04, 2018, 08:45:46 AM
Quote from: smurphys7 on January 04, 2018, 07:20:11 AM
The mods to show the happiness and unhappiness radius only show when placing the building.  Once the building is place it doesn't show.

Oh yea! That's right. I forgot about that.  :-[ It's been quite some time since I used either of those mods.

Been a min since I used them, too, but think it depends on the coding of the particular building.  Some do some don't. Which, I think, is why I stopped using them.  Guessing vanilla buildings are being used which, if I recall, don't.
"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."

Maldrick

Quote from: JM on January 04, 2018, 09:26:55 AM
I've always built many wells, I was afraid of a fire. Later I turned off disasters, but I still build a well wherever I can, not just near the houses. Every area where people walk is near a well. I have just opened older saved games and in all of them happiness is still around 100.
I opened a very old game from the time I did not manage well and where happiness was about 50, built some wells and the situation dramatically improved in a few years. Perhaps the well is the miraculous thing ...?

I was going to say that I know I've gotten boosts from churches, but I tend to build churches and cemeteries together so it may just be the cemetery.  But I've definitely topped it off with wells.  Might not be enough to carry happiness on their own, but I've certainly seen them cap it off.

Sounds like he's going to be looking at cumulative effects, so will be interesting to see what he finds.

Interesting test.  I honestly had no idea graveyards carried most of the load.  Been in a habit of building them early for so long haven't really noticed.

smurphys7

My initial test showed no effect for Wells.  The Well graph looks virtually identical to placing and working 3 quarries smack in the middle of town.  I had placed about 5 to 10 wells as close to groups of homes as I could.  I will be doing Well + Cemetery and everything else + Cemetery to see if that makes things more clear.

Thanks for reminding me on the Tavern.  That one should certainly be on the list.  Doing that one now.  I might skip doing the initial Market alone and Trading Post alone and go straight to Cemetery + Whatever tests.  The Chapel Test showed no affect to me.

Maldrick

Saw that.  I'm curious about cumulative effects.  Because I've definitely seen a difference adding wells but that's always been in conjunction with other things.  Want to say the same about chapels but that might be an assumption...I tend to build those together with cemeteries, but can't really say the chapel actually does anything.

But I've had lots of situations (practically every game) where I'll kick 4.5 stars over to 5 with a judiciously placed well or two.  But can't say it isn't something else either. Lot of variables with that average rating. Like being an average, for one.  Or wells + taverns + churches together on top of graveyards.  Or something else entirely, like cumulative effect of cemeteries long term.  But can't say that's it, either, because I generally have at least one up before anyone dies.

Banished lol

JM

In my games wherever people go, they always go around a well. This may matter, not on the total number of wells, but on the fact that they are everywhere.

Usually, I'm building cemeteries somewhere in the woods, like in the village I live in. There are few bannies going there. The church is the last thing, I only build it when I have nothing else to do. I do not build Taverns at all.

I believe in a well. :)

kid1293

QuoteHappiness comes in a 4 flavours: spirit, safety, alcohol, goods.

@smurphys7 - This quote from first post is maybe the key. Just maybe.
Think of it. Luke provided four sorts of food and health goes up only if you have all four.
Maybe happiness have the same dependencies? You need all four?
You are best to test right now :) I know you are knee-deep in this but it's an idea.

edit - maybe the overlapping radii are where you can get 100%

Nilla

Some of you might have followed my blogs, some not. But I did a test of happiness, health and clothing quite a while ago. If anyone is interested, you can look here. It's quite long but I looked at several things. http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=1021.0

It was a totally different approach. I looked at an individual basic.

Hawk

The map I'm currently playing has the happiness at 100% and I have no wells built anywhere.
I do have 4 churches and graveyards; no taverns.

Health is at 4 1/2 hearts.

There's currently 200 citizens: 141 adults, 26 students, 33 children.
It's at year 47. This was an Adam & Eve start, CC Verdant Plains, Medium terrain size, Mild climate, Disasters off.
[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]

[color=#800000][i]Yes, I can multitask. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.[/i][/color]

smurphys7

I added information to my previous posts.  It seems like as Nilla said, only Cemeteries have any affect on Happiness.  Some people have said they have been at "Full Happiness".

Does that mean your Happiness was even higher than these Cemetery graphs? 

Nilla

I think "full happiness" means 5 stars. I have never had green graph at 100%. A little higher than this one, yes I think so, but not very much. I can guess that your game is altering between 4½ and 5 stars, if you look at that menu.

I also guess, that the reason that it sometimes drop a bit, is that you're not building any new houses. Children whose parents die, don't always regain their happiness totally, not even with graveyards. When the population is high, there are many grown up children still "at home" as their parents die of old age.

Hawk

Quote from: Nilla on January 05, 2018, 04:20:59 AM
I think "full happiness" means 5 stars.

Yes! That's what I meant.

Here's a screenshot of the graph from that game, currently at 49 years.

[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]

[color=#800000][i]Yes, I can multitask. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.[/i][/color]

Maldrick

Kept an eye on this in the map I've been playing.  Appears to be the case.  Which is good to know, but now I'm going to have to watch for this shift I've seen when building other things. Like I said, it could have been something else, probably a shift in the average as Nilla mentions, but that's a heck of a coincidence to have so consistently. Lol.

It's also really boring.  We need more "needs" not fewer.  Next we'll find out the second teir clothing doesn't do anything, or something. I've long said there are two things I'm not a fan of about this game. Now there are three, it seems.

Oh well, I'll probably still build everything past the starting crunch anyway, just because it's there.