News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

One Simple Thing I Think is Missing...

Started by Varwulf, September 10, 2014, 03:35:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Varwulf

Firstly, I wanted to say that I love Banished.  No game in recent memory has plagued my subconscious with so many thinky-thinky events when I am trying to be productive.  I always try to think: "What if I tried X instead of Y..." and the like...

But one thing dawned on me today.  Winter looks gorgeous.  Summer looks like Summer, but what about Autumn?  Shouldn't the trees get very colorful during the Autumn months?  I think that's almost a requirement for a game that cycles through the seasons in such a way.  Heck, I'd like to see early Spring look very brown and wet too but that's just me :)

There is something about mid-Autumn that I just find gorgeous.  Almost as gorgeous as the dead of winter :)

RedKetchup

they are turning orange and darker colors but the process is going too fast
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

irrelevant

Yes, I have some screencaps of fall colors, but they are fleeting.

Here's one from the vegetarian challenge:

Wow, that is clunky; where are the barns?!? ;D

I was still a n00b

slink

One problem with autumn colors is that there are only three kinds of wild trees: pines, oaks, and birches.  We need maples for really good autumn color.

irrelevant

rkelly17

Quote from: irrelevant on September 11, 2014, 06:15:56 AM
@slink yes, maples for some nice red splashes!

Sugar Maples, yes! And then someone could do a maple syrup mod!!!!! You'd need a sugar shack (1 or 2 workers) with a circle like a gatherer or forester and then in Early Spring the shack would produce about the same amount of syrup as @RedKetchup's apiary produces in a year (or a little less). During the rest of the year the workers could plant sugar maples. Or something like that. The syrup could count as fruit in the food matrix.

It would be really cool if someone could do a graphic of a tree with a bucket hanging on it.

slink

Alternatively, mature sugar maple trees could drop a bucket of maple syrup once a year, as the orchard trees do fruit and nuts.  The bucket of maple syrup could be processed into maple fudge, preferably with walnuts.  *drooling*

RedKetchup

hahaha , you have so much some good imagination :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

A Nonny Moose

if you add maple trees, you could have a sugaring-off festival in the late winter where the syrup is boiled down then thrown on snow for the kids to eat.  Delicious.

This thread makes only half a point.  Spring is too fast as well.  The birches burst into full leaf almost instantly.  Maybe I am running on too high a speed, but I really don't have a couple of weeks to kill running a single session.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

rkelly17

Quote from: slink on September 11, 2014, 08:03:55 AM
Alternatively, mature sugar maple trees could drop a bucket of maple syrup once a year, as the orchard trees do fruit and nuts.  The bucket of maple syrup could be processed into maple fudge, preferably with walnuts.  *drooling*

Don't get me wrong, maple fudge with walnuts is to die for. But, in our house the syrup never lasts long enough to get to the fudge point. Pancakes, waffles, French toast--they're all just too dang good with real maple syrup. And we are lucky enough to live in an area where the Old Order Mennonites and Amish sell it by the gallon and keep the prices low.

PhillipAlexander

This ties into an idea I had to have the fruit trees blossom in spring, as well!

A Nonny Moose

^ And pollinators are needed, so you need an apiary.  Well farm fields in general need them as well.  No bees, no wheat, no corn, ...

slink

I believe that wheat and corn are wind-pollinated.

rkelly17

Quote from: slink on September 14, 2014, 09:51:25 AM
I believe that wheat and corn are wind-pollinated.

True. Many of the Banished crops do need pollinators, esp. the tree crops. For most of those you actually need two different varieties to get the pollination happening. Another mod?  ;D

A Nonny Moose

Well, I didn't know that, and I should have.  I live in farming country, but many of the crops around here need bees or other pollinators.  Some of the apiarists around here actually transport their hives to different fields on request.